What did you do to your car today?

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
Loaded new front wheel bearing and brake parts into the back so I can finally get the POS Dodge off a jack-stand in front of my garage... :rolleyes:

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
Bought a set of Koni FSD struts and shocks for the MK4. From Kerma. Hope to get them on in the next week or so.

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
blizzard60 said:
You don't get hassled for having the front that dark?
So I got it done at TintKing in London. They've been around for nearly 20years. He said that most people go with the 20% and if I wanted 5% (LIMO) they would do it but I'd be on my own if I did. He said the law at least in Ontario states that you can't have anything on the windshield or windows left or right of driver that "substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside" I told them I want no hassles with cops over tint. He told me to get 20%.

Damn you guys got me nervous now!! I'll try again tomorrow to get a pick in the daylight. That photo looks almost black even to me. It's really not that dark. Wouldn't say it's any darker than anyone else I see that has tinted windows. The only reason I got the tint is because I've been driving my second car all winter that I purchased in January with the same tint already installed. Never got hassled at all.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
I just had to have my windows re-tinted because I went to get my state inspection and the Texas motor vehicle safety inspection routine requires them to physically slide a meter over the drivers window that measures the darkness of the tint. This step in the process is madatory and the computer will not let the inspector skip it without a special override which will flag the inspection stations unit number causing them headaches with state troopers. I had 5?% and had them redone in 20%.

On a side note, I am glad I was forced to do this because of the limited amount of vision the 5% windows gave me at night. I feel much safer when driving at night now. I had 5% for almost three years and never got harrased by any form of law enforcement the entire time. The tint verification policy during state inspection is fairly new so this is the first time I got caught.

agdtec

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf 2000 blk
In chicago all tints on either side of the drivers view is a ticket

If you drive thru any of the violence zones in chicago you are at risk for getting stopped. The violence zone boundries change all the time. had person with baby on board bumper sticker on a mini van get stopped just the other day, so nobody is exempt.

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Ookpic said:
...He told me to get 20%...
Sorry, I posted without reading your other notes. I just missed that it was 20%. You're right it's just that pic that is making it look like 5%!!!!!!! 20% is a really nice tint and you shouldn't get hassled! Sorry I made you nervous ;)

Cheers,
-Chris

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
So, I've been obsessing lately with better trunk lighting.

I was originally going to put an extra OEM light on the passenger side. But somene beat me to the punch and discovered that the space behind the drivers side panel is very small.

So, what is one to do? Improvise.

I have also read of CCFL tubes (which have a bad temper when it comes to cold weather). Plus there is the fact of hiding them so they aren't vulnerable to damage.

So I used LED's. Drilled small holes and hot glued LED's onto the back side of the panel. Completely waterproof, reliable (LED's rarely burn out when used within the manufacturers tolerances), and draw VERY little power.

I'm not gonna divulge all the gory details, But I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

The panels have not been mounted back in my car yet. I have just spaced them away from each other in my dining room and took pictures.

Ok, OK. They look great when they are on. But How (you may ask) do they look when they are off?

Well, you tell me. Would you ever see them if you weren't actually looking for them?

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Had a South Bend Stage 2 Endurance (formerly called a SB Stage 3) clutch installed 2-days ago in my Mark V as the stock clutch was beginning to slip. Friends at a local shop wanted to do the job as they do lots of gasser VW and Audi cars and wanted to see how the SB's were to work with. The SB is still in its teething stages, but smoothing out with more miles. I went with a single mass flywheel and I believe I have the 17 pound flywheel. I'm due to drive 800-900 miles on Saturday the do the same trip again the following Saturday so I suspect it'll be broken-in by then.
Now I can actually consider some power upgrades as I am no longer hampered by a stock clutch. Interestingly, the stock clutch looked good at 75K miles when it came out. Lots of material left on the disk. The assumption is that the pressure plate was getting tired causing the slippage. That problem is gone now!
Here's the one I got if anyone's interested:
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=76_102&products_id=863

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The IDParts "employee parking lot" today:

Jetta wagon is a hiring criteria. US market tail lights need not apply.

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
tell George to wash his car. . .

I'm sure the Doka is spotless. . .

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
IndigoBlueWagon said:
The IDParts "employee parking lot" today:

Jetta wagon is a hiring criteria. US market tail lights need not apply.
Nice!!!!! As I wagon fan, I really like that pic.

Out of curiosity, what exhaust is that on the car on the left (I'm assuming, that's IBW?)?

Cheers,
-Chris

PS I just ordered some bosch PD Injector seals from you this week, thanks for having them in stock - very handy :thumbup:

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Didn't do anything yet, but noticed that I'm leaking oil from the intercooler area. I assume it's either the hose or the cooler itself. Oh well, something to keep me busy I guess.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's George's car on the left, Corey center, IBW is on the right. George has a stainless exhaust with tips from a GLI, I believe. We constantly argue about ride height: I like IBW's ride and handling with stock springs and 15" wheels: George has Koni Sport springs and 17s. And Corey has wagon towing springs.

Wagons are the best. Absolutely.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
I loaded a KERMA stage 4 tune this morning. Lots more throttle response & not much more smoke! :D

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
A post from the operating room.

Drs Bowling are hard at work today and I wish I could be there, but Amanda (My wife) has had her plans for MONTHS!

original heart, being ripped out.

Tomorrow morning first thing I head down to KY to finish up the install of the replacement engine.

I plan to be driving the car home tomorrow evening. YAY. Ill try to take more photos tomorrow.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Bruce sent me some more images this evening.

Here is Eric taking bits off of the back of the engine (turbo, intake etc..) preparing for the reinstall.

and the GAPING hole where something seems to be missing..

Oh, there it is.. GET IN MAH BELLY!! I'm Hongry!

uuughhh mah belly is full.

Engine is in the bay (duh). it received the 1000 mile old timing belt kit I just put on my old engine. and my Sachs VR6/1Z Clutch/PP combo. tomorrow at 0530 or so I leave home for the 3.5 hour trek back to KY. when I arrive, we will be installing the turbo, intake, whatever else is missing, and firing it up.

Ill drive it around Bruces burgh testing it out and then load the car up with the old gutz of my engine for the trip back home... beginning

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Growler, that's a beautiful thing! Lets have a 'seat-of-the-pants' evaluation of switching to an 11mm pump too. =)

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
We left you a bit of work. The engine mounts and dogbone are bolted up and torqued. Shifter cables bolted in place. Slave cylinder bolted up. Power steering bolted up.

Everything else is awaiting your arrival. ;) :D

Manny, I can tell you about the 11mm/PP520s setup. Wahoo! Evan is thoroughly enjoying them in her car. RC3+, VNT17, and FMIC don't hurt performance, either.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Aaron left here about 30 minutes ago, headed home.

A few hiccups.

New teflon cam seal that was pissing oil like a racehorse. Had to break down the TB system and replace it.

One injector hard line that would not seal to the injector, necessitating a line change. Aaron put the lines on so I can't take credit...;) I did the engine bay cleaning for all the sprayed fuel.

Had a heckuva time getting the shifter to align. His lock pin is broken, so he was stacking quarters for spacing. Turns out 6 quarters work, not nine......:p

He looks like the Beverly Hillbillies with an engine in the trunk, and a backseat full of parts boxes from the old engine.

Last edited:

bayshorecs

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
Tore apart the drivers fan and freed up the brushes. The low speed resistor is shot so I wired up the high speed to run in place the low speed until I sorce a new resistor to mount externally.

At least I have AC now!

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
Installed a new version of a KERMA stage 4 tune. :cool: We still haven't found out how to turn off the swirl valve DTC but the car is strong. :D

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Just Got home.

Car ran flawlessly for the 200 mile + trip home. Mileage was pretty good since it barely came off the first tick mark on the way home after filling up 10 miles from Bruces place.

Go Pedal is a soot button or a smooth power button, depending on how you lay into it or roll into it. its fun.

I reinstalled all of my factory charge piping and turbo inlet pipe just to have a good, safe no worries about popping off a connection setup for the trip home.. perhaps Ill reinstall everything at impex in May.

Loving the Koni FSDs with VR6 springs. They swallowed the engine and all the misc parts without skipping a beat. car still handled the bumps from the trip like a champ..

I love my car.. its been expensive, but I love it. now to pay for all of this. ugh. :)

shagin'wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora
Pretty big day. Pulled off all the wheels and went to work with the pressure washer. Cleaned and blasted EVERYWHERE. Under the car, wheel wells, steering rack, suspension, engine bay, rims...
Probably 20 pounds of mud and dirt are gone now.

Then installed a brand new skid plate courtesy of Neil at Evolution, and polished my headlight lenses.

Now to scrape up the coin to fix the embarrassing paint chips and do the whole car up in clear 3M film.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Took my car in today. Got an oil change, ran 11,000 miles on this one. Also fixed the rattle on shutdown, was the heatshield over the cat. Checked the intercooler for oil leaking, nope. Dry. Turbo is dry too. Just my crank seal still dripping off the skid plate now.

Also ordered some spring cleaning stuff: Air filter, fuel filter, cabin air filter and new rear mud flaps.

Big suspension update/upgrade coming within the next month or so too. Can't wait!