B4 Headlight switch question

mleone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, TDI, 2004 Passat Wagon TDI
I've seen a few posts on this, but here's what I'm looking to do:
1) Install fog lights on my B4 sedan

2) Disable DRL's such that only headlights remain on, not all lights but headlight.

Should I look for a '95 GLX switch, or a '96 GLX switch? I believe both have the pull out fog switch.
From what I've read, the '95 is the way to go, but talking to Eric at 1.800.vwparts made me think I should get a '96 switch.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Mike

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Mike, the 1995 GLX switch or a euroswitch will work.

If you can purchase new eCodes for $200, does it make sense to add "fog" lights /images/graemlins/confused.gif prior to upgrading your most used lighting source - - your headlights?

I don't know what's involved with leaving the headlights illuminated but turning the rest of the lights off. Perhaps someone has done that. There were two different DRL configurations on the B4 cars.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
For the DRL, if you leave everything pluged with the euroswitch, you'll only have the front head lights when on the "0" position.

If, like me, you don't want any lights on the 0 position, look near the N75, there's a black connector with some yellow on it.

Deconnect it and no more DRL. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
For the DRL, if you leave everything pluged with the euroswitch, you'll only have the front head lights when on the "0" position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know!

thx.

Howler

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI
I can't tell what you have purchased yet, but see this thread for info on the low-cost fog lamps. I paid $45 incl. shipping from HK and they go in pretty easy.

Presently waiting (patiently /images/graemlins/laugh.gif ) for the GB mythical euro switch from Flatoutperformance.com since February 16th with a couple other tdiclub members.

mleone

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the responses.
dd, you make a great point. My main concern is to make my DRL's be JUST headlights, not every other light in the vehicle. So now the questions:

Where can I get the fake fog lenses to cover the ugliness down there?

Which light switch would let me adjust my DRL's?

Thanks!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]

• My main concern is to make my DRL's be JUST headlights, not every other light in the vehicle.

• Where can I get the fake fog lenses to cover the ugliness down there?
  • Which light switch would let me adjust my DRL's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rammstein answered question A above.

Can you expand on question B?...not sure I understand. Are you looking to get a fresh set of the lens covers that sit in the bumper /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Question C: a switch from a 1995 Passat GLX or the euroswitch:

mleone

Veteran Member
TDI
To point B: Yes. I need a set of the reflector covers that sit in the location that the fogs would be. I've seen them before on ebay, but not lately.

Thanks!

Mike

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just order them from IMPEX. I got a new set last year to freshen things up on our car: