Yes, I know.. another pano roof survey..

What is your experience with the JETTA SPORTWAGEN PANO ROOF?

• NOPE, no problems, use it all the time!

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • YES, lots of problems.. especially leaks!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES lots of problems especially breaking/stuck/not working correctly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope, no problems.. Wait.. I have a pano roof? Thats funny.. never use the damn thing

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Im deciding if the pano roof is worth dealing with to get a really nice low mileage Sportwagen.

Its a 2014.

SO I would really like to hear from everybody.. the good and the bad and the chances of having issues.

I live in the SF Bay area so weather is really nice for the most part.

leaks, breaking, stuck, misalligned... You name it I want to hear it

And of course I LOVE IT.. use it all the time, never an issue.

Also would like to hear your solutions to the issues or well known causes of the proble

or perhaps the reason why you HAVENT had any problems

Please take a moment to vote.. Thanks!
Peter

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Don't own one. Wouldn't own one. I am in and out of plenty of them, though.

They are hot in the summer (the sunshade doesn't do enough).

They creak and pop and rattle in cold weather, especially over uneven road surfaces. I'm driving an Audi Q5 now that is an otherwise joy to drive, but the pano roof noise makes me want to drive it off a cliff. Was fine noise wise on warmer days, but below about 50, the constant creaking is enough to drive me crazy.

I've seen random control issues with them, too. Open on their own, refuse to shut. Won't close flush.

It is really sad that Volkswagen didn't just option a normal sunroof in these cars. Those are fine, although you do have to maintain them. The pano roof needs maintenance too, but there just seems to be no way to make a giant multipiece glass mechanism taking up 75% of the roof be quiet. And in an otherwise pretty quiet interior, that is really annoying, and it only gets worse as the cars age. Pretty sad when a 2014 Q5 with 85k miles on it is noisier inside than a 2000 Golf with 543k miles... but it is.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Have owned four pano roof VWs. Wife currently drives a '17 GTI with a pano sunroof, that has had the frame replaced once already under warranty. It still makes noises.

I will never personally daily drive or own a car that has one again. All of mine, including one of the larger roof JSW TDI variants have made various noises. Creaking, popping, rattling.

I much prefer the normal roof on my 2013 Golf.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Well, interesting.. I actually HAD a pano roof on a 2006 Mercedes e300 CDi and that sucker leaked and creaked and did everything everyone says they do. Always thought it was a stupid option and wished I had the simple normal sliding roof that rarely if ever gives trouble. I remembered this morning I said I would never get another.. Thanks guys

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen ~118K
I've got one on a 2010, it made terrible noise one time. I lubed the hell out of it and now it works w/ no issues at all. I now spray the crap out it 2X a year w/ silicone lube.

Famous last words!

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I agree with OilHammer that during the summer it does let more heat into the car. Living SLC, UT the sun is a constant during summer and the tint that comes from the factory as well as the sun shade are not enough. I've considered getting limo tint on the pano roof to help with this.

The sheer size of the pano roof also means that it will twist and torque with the chassis as you go over changes in grade/slope etc, especially when turning into parking lots/driveways or over speed bumps or cracks/holes in the road. This will produce noise, sometimes low level sometimes louder when the temperatures drop as other have noted.

None of these things should be a surprise for anyone if you think about it logically. They cut a giant hole in the roof to put two large slabs of glass in, more moving parts means more noise, more possible entry points for moisture/leaks, more possible points of electrical failure as well as the inherent nature of how glass reacts in cold environments (chipping, cracking, shattering etc).

In my mind it's just like anything else in life, if you want the added enjoyment of the pano roof it WILL take more maintenance than the same vehicle without. Same idea as if you were to modify or add performance parts to your car, it WILL take more maintenance. Some people are ok with taking the extra time to make sure it is in working order, rather than neglecting it until it screams for help.

My guess is if you've already found this website, you are more invested in your car's condition and upkeep than most people who show up at a dealer lot or used car lot, so an extra bottle of silicone lube and a few sprays a couple times a year might not seem like a big deal to you as basic upkeep. Granted larger problems can and do occur, the glass could shatter, the roof could stick open etc. but the amount of times that has actually happened vs. the amount of VW's sold with pano roof is quite small. Statistically speaking the odds are probably in your favor if you decide to get the pano roof. The real question you need to ask is it really an added burden or inconvenience on yourself to have it? or is it something you absolutely can't live without?

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
Ive decided that the pano roof on the mk6 sportwagen is nice.. but since I dont even use the one in my mk4, I decided that I wont bother with risking all the issues. I did test drive several with the pano and the wind noise was so loud that I kept looking for the open window someplace and this is from someone who has a 40% hearing loss. Add that to the potential for breaking and leaks.. well.. its a no brainer. logic over emotion.

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
Definitely a crap shot that depends on your level of risk aversion. I avoided it and have a slick top. my wife has had two, JSW and a Benz GLA, and nary a problem. So much so that I haven't fussed with maintaining them either. She loves them (I enjoy them too). Looking for some wood to knock on...

Demo3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
I picked up a 2015 GSW-SEL with the money I got for my 2013 JSW. No problems so far. It did get quite toasty until I put some 20% Wincos tent on them. I leave it unshaded most of the time now. Passengers in the back really enjoy it.

mike837go

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I just bought (two months ago) a 2041 JSW 21,000 miles with the pano roof.
Fell in love with the idea of all that glass!
No issues so far with operation or ceiling leaks...
However, I had major quatities of clear (rain?) water in the spare tire well. Allegidly that has to do with broken drain lines. I've got the well tops off and I am trying to find out when the well fills. So far, it seems like the only water that got in was associated with the dealer detailing the car.
Consiering the amount of rain we've had in the NYC area this year, any leaks will be very noticiable!

ttcheung

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
I have a pano roof on mine, and I found that the factory worker who installed the drain tubes did not plug one of them into the wheel well; instead he/she left it dangling into the interior. When we finally ended our 5-year California drought, I found water in the spare tire well, soggy rear cushions, and constant funk smell. I tore apart the rear panels and aired it out and siliconed that tube into the wheel well.

Aside from tubes, I thoroughly enjoy the roof. It's a nice feature, provides airy-ness, adds a nice touch to the car, our kids like it, and opens wide. It's been problem-free, but will freeze if I twist the knob from full-open to full-close too quick. I also won't open it in sub-freezing weather.

TRAMPLINEMAN

TDI
JSW
I had a ‘12 JSW with the pano. I live in WI and we see cold and hot weather. I believe we had around 150K miles when we turned the car in. Never had one problem with the pano. We used it all the time and maintained it.

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
Not for me. I'm having enough trouble keeping the sun off the top of my head. I heard a native guy tell me once that my head is on upside down with the hair growing at the bottom of it.

Racerman27410

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 6MT
I've got the pano roof on my 2012 JSW that i purchased new and still own. I didnt want a glass roof but the car was a 6spd manual and the dealer really wanted to sell it to me. Never had any issue with it working or leaking but they do let in a lot of heat so i ceramic tinted and that took care of the problem.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Mine binds when hot and wont close, worst example left and right sides got out of synch and got all tweaked and I had to take it all apart, amazed I didn't break the glass. (yes I greased the damn thing with vw sunroof grease.) So I never use it and just had to unclog the drains, noticed a swampy odor and vacuumed 1.5 gallons of water out of my carpet. To be fair I would have never bought a sunroof model, but this one fell in my lap directly after loosing my other one for a very good price.

I do like the open top feeling,see the sky etc, but its pretty much just a liability.