Taking my car to the dealer to get it polished/waxed up

slimphatty

TDI
'15 Golf S DSG
So after I bought my car the dealer told me to schedule an apt to get my car wax/polish. Something about protecting the paint. They said it was going to take close to 5 hours...What exactly takes them 5 hours to do it? Also, will I be getting a rental car? The girl over the phone wasn't helpful at all. Thank dudes!

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Sounds like you have no idea what they are talking about. Unless you already paid for whatever they have in mind for you, ignore them.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Slim, a dealer is the last place I'd take a car for this sort of work.

Welcome aboard !!

slimphatty

TDI
'15 Golf S DSG
Looking at the receipt I ended up paying $895 for something called the finishing touch...is this something I can get a refund say if I'm not interested? You guys are right...I have no clue what this 'cleaning/polishing' is and the dealer would be the last place I would take my car to get detailed.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I would never take my car to a dealer for a detail. I would not even let them wash my cars.

For that money, you could have gone to a real detail professional and gotten a quality coating applied properly.

bballppaul

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S - Buyback, replaced with new 2015 GolfSportwagen S DSG
Looking at the receipt I ended up paying $895 for something called the finishing touch...is this something I can get a refund say if I'm not interested? You guys are right...I have no clue what this 'cleaning/polishing' is and the dealer would be the last place I would take my car to get detailed.
You'd have to look at what you purchased and the details of what you signed. Mostly likely, no you can't get a refund.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
The Dealer should have done the job b4 you took the car home... No it's on your Dime!

totitan

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
When your with the finance guy youve got to read everything. When they say we put that on every car just get up and say your leaving. They will snap to attention and remove the add ons you didnt ask for.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Yep, looks like you fell for a pretty classic dealership tactic. What you've paid for is the exact same thing a detail shop would do for about $200 or so. And it's probably rolled in to your finance package so probably pretty hard to get any sort of refund.

Now since you've paid for it already yes, go get it done. It will take about 5 hours as they basically have to detail the exterior. Now is a perfect time of year to get it done anyhow as it will give the paint some protection going in to the winter.

boy412

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
I would never take my car to a dealer for a detail. I would not even let them wash my cars.

For that money, you could have gone to a real detail professional and gotten a quality coating applied properly.
Agreed on this one. After the dealer wrecked my wheels on my new GSW (I think they left an acid-based cleaner on for too long) I won't let them near it with a hose, polish, or any other detailing stuff. In fact I even bought one of these.

Its funny that such a thing exists...must mean most dealers suck at detailing! For a fraction of what the dealer charged for that add-on you could have a decent random orbit polisher and a few bottles of stuff that would let you polish and seal the paint yourself.

;)

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
^^^^
Funny, a detailer who corrected and coated a JSW TDI for me gave me a few of those for the glove-boxes.