Engine hard to start after water meth install

bgsnyder

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf & 2005 Passat
Installed w/m injection Friday night. Finished at 3am. Was driving home from my friends shop and got on it on an on ramp and it seemed fine until I let off the accelerator and the engine died. I got it started while rolling and got home. I turned off the w/m for the rest of the drive except one more pull closer to home. No issues, everything seemed to be running normal. The next day I went to start the car and it didn't just start right up like normal. I had to crank it a little. The same thing happened a couple more times after driving it for a while, but the last time that day I started it, it started up right away, just like normal. Then, the next day it sat in the garage all day, at about 7:00 last night I went to start it to go to the store and it would just turn over and over, no spuddering or trying to start. I just went out there this morning and it was doing the same thing. I ended up getting it to start by pumping the accelerator like I have to on really cold days in the winter. Once started it was running smooth like there was no issue. Does anyone have any Ideas what might be going on?

Gigitt

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Mk5 Jetta 125TDI, 1996 Mk3 Golf TDI
Might need a bit more info on car, engine and any other mods.

Have you VCDS scanned for fault codes?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
There's no accelerator pump like on cars with carburetors, so there's something else going on.

What tools did your buddy use to set the timing, and where on the timing graph is the timing currently set?

Last edited:

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Nozzle drips overnight in to the inlet filling the cil. Always check youre last upgrade

ocshaman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Did you do the windsheild test before putting the nozzle into the pipe?

How are you triggering the water/meth kit?

Whose water meth kit are you using?

Are you using a solenoid or a check valve?

Where is it placed?

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Please enlighten me.
Pumping the pedal does nothing, except add wear to the potentiometer in the pedal I guess. This practice relates back to carburetors with accelerator jets. It was a way to introduce more fuel into the intake tract if hard starting. Our diesels don't work that way. Sorry, I was having a 'moment' I guess.

bgsnyder

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf & 2005 Passat
Did you do the windsheild test before putting the nozzle into the pipe?

How are you triggering the water/meth kit?

Whose water meth kit are you using?

Are you using a solenoid or a check valve?

Where is it placed?

We did test it by putting pressure on the boost line. I am planning on dialling it back. It has a Snow Performance controller and pump and devils own injectors and check valve. It is about 4 inches back from the intake manifold, right after my MAP sensor.

I fired it right up, first time, no problem, after work yesterday. Checked the timing and it is right on the middle blue line. Any suggestions for advancing the timing, and how much?

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Never had issues with W/M causing me starting issues when using it. I know my system is water tight though and water isn't dribbling in to the system when all switched off.

bgsnyder

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf & 2005 Passat
I think I may have gotten got by the 109 relay. Ordered a new one but re-soldered the one in the car and it has been starting every time now. Just scared me because I just installed the water meth injection and the next day started having issues.

irondogger

TDI
'12 Sportwagen TDI
H2O/meth injection

I am running a Snow system in my 03 Dodge RAM 2500 CTD and I turn off the system about 5 minutes prior to shutting the engine down so I do not have any pooling of spray in the intake.

Depending on how aggressive you are adding the spray you might have an issue with any remaining water in the intake after the methanol has evaporated quenching the combustion in the cylinders causing the hard start issue.

Good luck,........irondogger

bgsnyder

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf & 2005 Passat
Thanks for the suggestion. It turns out it was just the 109 relay. Really bad timing though. Since I re-soldered the connections it hasn't had a hiccup.