I just threw up a little (DSG flywheels.. maybe)

CaptainAF

TDI
JSW 2014
I just got back from having my JSW looked @ and they asked me was there anything I wanted them to look at first, so I told them about it pulling to the right under hard acceleration and back when you let off.I was told that's just the torque steer, so that sux because its a lot on the highway. Moving on: I told them when I turn the car off its like there is a clunk clunk sounds every time and not a clean just off sounds(If that makes since). So the general Mechanic comes back and tell me that there is some noise coming from the general flywheel area and that it sounds like I have a cracked flywheel.(then I almost vomited because I just bought this car1.5 weeks ago from a lot cross town for $4500 + trade in. car had really good history on it from zero til 145K miles. it was a fleet car from NJ from what I can tell. The mechanic says that the part was about $189 but 8hrs labor so 1400-1700 and he could take the starter out to look at it to see if it was indeed cracked..... So this being my first TDI I figured this was normal but I didnt know.... Someone give me some better news then this? how long car I limp on this until after xmas..??

blueimpact

TDI
2012 MK6 Golf TDI
First of all. Are you saying the car pulls to the right when accelerating ON THE HIGHWAY?

I’ve had a 350+ hp FWD car and from my understanding - you should only feel torque steer when you’re at low speeds accelerating aggressively.

Can’t chime in on the flywheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Bad flywheel won't cause the car to pull on acceleration. Worn control arm bushings will, as will other issues including incorrect wheel alignment.

Flywheels fail on these cars, and the mileage on yours isn't out of line for that failure. Both manual and DSG cars (you don't say which yours is but I'd guess DSG), have dual mass flywheels. The correct replacement flywheel is more like $350-450. Labor sounds about right.

I think you have more than one issue. With the car idling put your hand on the floor near the left front of the driver's seat. You will feel a vibration (and hear it) if the flywheel's on its way out. If it's not severe you can drive the car for a while, but you'll have to replace it at some point. And I'd go back to the shop and have the alignment and steering and suspension checked for the pull. That was, in my opinion, mis-diagnosed.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I have the right pull issue as well. Pulls right under acceleration on the highway. And I have some vibrations coming through the steering wheel. But no clunking. I had an independent mechanic tell me they thought it was related to an issue with the axle(s) or CV joints I believe. My car is CPO, but I haven't taken it in to VW yet. I'm worried that it may not be pronounced enough for VW to diagnose it and they'll just claim torque steer like your mechanic did.

Mine is 6MT not DSG. At any rate, I'd seek a second opinion before spending that kind of money.

EDIT: I also want to note that I took my car to the independent shop for an alignment. They checked it and it was spot on. My car has only 49k miles on it. The pull issue sounds similar to yours but I can't comment on the clunk clunk sound.

Last edited:

CaptainAF

TDI
JSW 2014
First of all. Are you saying the car pulls to the right when accelerating ON THE HIGHWAY? It pulls a little bit in town.

I’ve had a 350+ hp FWD car and from my understanding - you should only feel torque steer when you’re at low speeds accelerating aggressively.

Can’t chime in on the flywheel.

Also I was just told that the flywheel is called a flex plate??? but the guy at another shop I have yet let look at, says it might not be that at all and he needs to look at it, but because I was having it pull to the right during accelerating and back left and some noise it might be something else.

CaptainAF

TDI
JSW 2014
I have the right pull issue as well. Pulls right under acceleration on the highway. And I have some vibrations coming through the steering wheel. But no clunking. I had an independent mechanic tell me they thought it was related to an issue with the axle(s) or CV joints I believe. My car is CPO, but I haven't taken it in to VW yet. I'm worried that it may not be pronounced enough for VW to diagnose it and they'll just claim torque steer like your mechanic did.

Mine is 6MT not DSG. At any rate, I'd seek a second opinion before spending that kind of money.

EDIT: I also want to note that I took my car to the independent shop for an alignment. They checked it and it was spot on. My car has only 49k miles on it. The pull issue sounds similar to yours but I can't comment on the clunk clunk sound.
the axle(s) or CV joints is what my mechanic said as well... So if it is a flywheel, dual mass, whatever its called I guess I am looking @ about 900-1200 to fix yeah?
DAMNIT I wish I still had a shop to work on this stuff... and tools, and I would do it myself. Balls..

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'd have the wheel alignment checked before dumping any money into replacement parts.

CaptainAF

TDI
JSW 2014
Haha it was because of the cost to fix it after I just bought the car 1.5 weeks ago!!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Sounds like you need a flywheel. Not sure it'll fix the pull on the highway, however.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Probably closer to the top of that range. Flywheel is $400 or so it's 8-10 hours labor.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
This is a long shot, but I also had a flywheel "going out" on my 2012 JSW. Luckily for me, I asked the service techs to take a peek and see what they could see at my next oil change and they told me when they put it on the lift they eventually found some kind of DSG cable (sounded like shift linkage or something along those lines but I don't know if the DSG has that) had slipped down form the tunnel and was banging/clanging around when I put my foot into it.

They tucked it all up, didn't charge me anything, and the only problem I had was when I was testing it on the drive home I was so happy at the easy fix and them doing it for free that I didn't notice I had gone over 100mph until I came around the front end of a semi right into the FOV of my friendly state trooper who didn't even need to flash his lights for me to start pulling over :\

FWIW, I also get that pulling in my 2015 GSW. It's not obvious enough to rule out the road slope, though.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Damn, that sounds terrible. I'd say the flywheel is broken. I wouldn't want to limp it around at all like that.

CaptainAF

TDI
JSW 2014
Well its going to need to be replaced. two shops are saying the same thing, The shop however I will be going with is going to let me buy the part and help me with payments to finish the repairs. So what else would I need to replace this dsg flywheel. I have already on my shopping cart @ rockauto the MDF126 LUK flywheels, what else?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe the flywheel bolts (the bolts that connect it to the engine) are one-time use, so you'll need to replace those. The one flywheel in your link for half the price of others needs to be verified as to what it is/includes to make sure those are apples to apples. Make sure you check amazon, eBay, and the vendors from this forum since they may have discounts for members.

CaptainAF

TDI
JSW 2014
I believe the flywheel bolts (the bolts that connect it to the engine) are one-time use, so you'll need to replace those. The one flywheel in your link for half the price of others needs to be verified as to what it is/includes to make sure those are apples to apples. Make sure you check amazon, eBay, and the vendors from this forum since they may have discounts for members.

There have been many link but it seem LUK DMF126. Nothing I have found has been cheaper. I just want to know from someone that has replaced one on a DSG 2014 TDI. If so I can order this next weekend and have the shop started on replacing it. If someone know a cheaper please with good parts please let me know. So for this is the best I can find:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/luk,DMF126,flywheel,5348

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Most or all of those flywheels are for manual transmissions. You need a tdi specific, dsg specific dmf.

CaptainAF

TDI
JSW 2014
It doesn’t really let you pick dsg or manual. Ackk&/):/ this is really starting to piss me off.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
This is what you need: https://www.idparts.com/dsg-flywheel-2009-luk-p-4912.html

We probably don't have the best price so you may do better if you shop around. But you should also get the install bolt kit shown below, as all the transmission mount bolts are single use. If you don't have a history you may also want to do a DSG service while the airbox, etc., is out of the car. This is the kit you'd use: https://www.idparts.com/dsg-service-kit-40k-p-941.html

DSG fluid should be changed at a 40K mile interval.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
There have been many link but it seem LUK DMF126. Nothing I have found has been cheaper. I just want to know from someone that has replaced one on a DSG 2014 TDI. If so I can order this next weekend and have the shop started on replacing it. If someone know a cheaper please with good parts please let me know. So for this is the best I can find:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/luk,DMF126,flywheel,5348
I would caution against selecting based on price-point alone. You open yourself up to problems by buying the cheapest product and you risk paying too much by buying the most expensive one. The most important factor is to use reputable sourcing: idparts, kermatdi, or even VW itself.

The labor cost is significant so saving a hundred here or there on the parts is false economy. I know I recommended searching various online sources, but even still you'll need to be careful on the sourcing of the flywheel you ultimately decide to purchase.

I don't know what else you can really do in a DSG flywheel replacement in terms of "while you're in there" but at around $1200 per pop you really want to make this a one-time event during your ownership as much as possible.

CaptainAF

TDI
JSW 2014
I would caution against selecting based on price-point alone. You open yourself up to problems by buying the cheapest product and you risk paying too much by buying the most expensive one. The most important factor is to use reputable sourcing: idparts, kermatdi, or even VW itself.

The labor cost is significant so saving a hundred here or there on the parts is false economy. I know I recommended searching various online sources, but even still you'll need to be careful on the sourcing of the flywheel you ultimately decide to purchase.

I don't know what else you can really do in a DSG flywheel replacement in terms of "while you're in there" but at around $1200 per pop you really want to make this a one-time event during your ownership as much as possible.

Ooh I agree. These car are vastly different then the 2.1L scirocco I built years ago. haha. and it seems parts are just as hard to find on a MK1/2 as they are on the MK6. Rockauto I feel is good as a few friends had order parts from them a bunch in the past. but I will look at other sites as well. Generally I want to stay with the LUK flywheel as it seemed a lot of people here picked that over the OEM which was so Im told weaker and cost 2-3 as much and the LUK was a better(upgrade longevity wise). So are you saying for the flywheel the OEM would be better @ $900? If so I can get that but thats going to delay the repairs by a month or more, which I dont know how long this will carry on, but I do understand doing the job right the first time.

CaptainAF

TDI
JSW 2014
Also it seem this is the same part that is on rockkauto.com for a bit cheaper. However, it seems rockauto only comes with the DMF so I will need the bolt kit and service kits.

https://imgur.com/a/rThGofw
and
https://imgur.com/AFYuCLU

I have to say Bizzle you have been most helpful and Im glade you chimed in.
Ooh also the shop I took it too was claiming there was a cel but there wasnt a cel when I took the car too them. only light on was the tire pressure light (AcK). and they claim it via pulling codes was the P2015 throttlebody and wanted to replace the whole intake. BUT, I was quickly to tell them dieselgeek has a fix for that that was much cheaper, and without this forum and peoples like yourself I'd be lost. Merry Xmas to all. thx again.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
So are you saying for the flywheel the OEM would be better @ $900?
Not necessarily, that would probably fall under paying too much for the same quality as the $450 one from idparts.

My concern was that rockauto has one for $130 bucks and a bunch for $350 bucks and there's a reason the pricing is like that. I don't know what it is, but it's either missing parts the others include, the quality is not the same, or perhaps it's just a fantastic deal, which can happen but you gotta know what you're looking for and what you're looking at before you can be certain you scored a deal at all.

I only glanced at the link you posted but it looked like they were all LUK, or at least claimed to be. And therein lies the rub: you never know what you're getting in these situations. Rockauto has you selecting a product and then a warehouse from where it'll be shipped, but you don't really have a good handle on the source of the item other than what's stamped on it.

So your friends may have had good experience, and I personally have not had bad experience with inexpensive things, like rotors for a geo metro, and "OE" plug wires for my BMW. That said, it doesn't really tell us anything about Rockauto as a source because they are simply transferring an item from their sources to the customers. I mean that LUK might be an acceptable replacement rather than Ducky flywheels, for example. My comments are an indictment of the source, not the vendor reselling them.

So you have to look beyond the vendor and read the small print about the manufacturing claims. But the real problem, imo, is that you also have to look beyond the small print. In China, remember these parts are made a country where the employees don't share a cultural or legal backdrop where copying ideas/manufacturing is wrong or illegal. Many are illiterate and all of them are going to be incapable of reading/writing English except by some amazing fluke in someone's life.

So you have an unscrupulous person contracting with an unscrupulous factory owner and they provide the team of employees a bunch of metal and stamps. The stamps say, "Genuine VW, Made in Berlin, #numbers" but they not only don't understand putting the stamp on the part is inaccurate and wrong but they don't even know what they're stamping on the part. It's the same as my toddler looking up at a street sign and telling me, "look papa, ABCs!"

She knows there's a language and is making sense of letters but in so far as what they mean or that they all aren't simply "ABCs" is still a foreign concept to her.

I contrast that with some of the more artisanal vendors here on this site who (some, at least) have stated they physically check the variables of machined products like this and reject ones that don't meet expectations. That's at least part of the rationale for somewhat higher pricing. I'm not sure if IDparts or kerma do that, but it's a simple question to ask (what's the source of your flywheel and what do you know about its manufacturing characteristics?).

If IBW, for example, PMs you a response explaining the supply chain history and any manual evaluation they do, that might be worth the extra $75 bucks or whatever to you. It's probably not worth $500 more (or more importantly, it's that 1 month wait more than the cost at issue) for VW to do all that (and it's questionable they do all that anymore anyway, but at least with them you can throw it on the table if it blows apart).

So I see the one at kerma and I see the one at idparts (I've been customers of both businesses, I don't have a strong position on either one other than both seem to be run by enthusiasts who would have similar concerns to what I'm voicing here and what you might be considering when deciding what and where to purchase) and then I see the rockauto options and right away I want to pick the $150 dollar one but I know that unless this is just my luckiest day I should *not* pick that one. Similarly, I'd reject a $900 flywheel. So I'd be looking at those $350-450 options with all of these considerations.

This is just my take on it based on decades of German auto ownership. Glad to have helped, but hopefully if I'm saying anything way outside the bounds hopefully one of the vendors or someone else more knowledgeable about part sourcing chimes in with corrections.