What tdi what mods

Hunter17

TDI
None yet
Alright well I’m looking about doing a 1.9 tdi swap in my ranger, but just wanting your guys opinions on what motor and what to do to them. Im not afraid of wiring and would like the most tuning advantage I could get. I’d like to make 250+ tq and would like some smoke. I am a diesel mechanic but I work on semis haha so I just would like to know a little more about these smaller motors before I melt one down. I will trail ride with it and drive it on a few trips for the fuel mileage so I don’t want to give that all up I won’t tow a lot with it and when I do it will be a few four wheelers but could be for a long trip just wanting a happy medium didn’t know if anyone knew of a multi map tuner and who’s the best and how many maps

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Acme adapter makes adapters for Toyotas to put a few different diesel engines...

As for power, I'd contact Malone tuning and consult then for mods...but from the hip, DLC1019 nozzles, vnt 17 turbo and enough clutch to hold it...and 3 inch exhaust sounds great

And gauges...there are many people on here that mod a diesel and don't see the need for a pyrometer and boost gauge and when stuff blows "they don't know what happened"...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hunter17

TDI
None yet
Well for the adapter I plan you have a machine shop near me make it

I plan to put a new hd 4.0 ranger clutch in it hoping it will hold haha
And I’ll look it to Malone heard a little about them, do I need to be looking for rods with that set up or will stock be fine

And I am a firm believe in pyro and boost they’ve saved me before with me 7.3

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
ALH is cheap and plentiful, but BHW is already set-up for longitudinal mounting and offers 50% more baseline power than ALH stock vs stock and can make substantial power with basic mods. Depends on your goals. I personally prefer BHW. As you draw out a graph of costs vs power, the ALH steepens (stronger rods, etc.) the farther out you go, while a BHW can easily do 250+ with just turbo, injector nozzles, and remap.

Last edited:

Hunter17

TDI
None yet
Ok what year would I need to be looking for to fine a bhw do they have cam failure like the brms or what do I need to be looking in to replacing on them before it goes in

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Bhw are from like an 05 Passat. They are 2.0L. Usually first upgrade is changing to the alh oil pump/chain set up. Eliminate the counter shaft.

Hunter17

TDI
None yet
Well that wouldn’t be to bad then I thinks new timing belt well it’s on the bench and look in to turbos and nozzles and call up Molane would give me a good start.

But what can I expect for egts and boost out of these I mean 1400 is melting point right but is it close to 800 like a 3406 or 1200 with a 7.3

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
You can run 1400F+ continuous with no issues. Stock turbo/injectors and a tune will easily get you the 250 ft-lbf torque you're looking for with minimal investment.

That way you can get it running, driving, etc and get the bugs worked out before spending big $$. If the power is sufficient, leave it alone. If you need more, then a simple injector/turbo/tune swap can add 100HP/200 ft-lbf very easily.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
ALH is cheap and plentiful, but BHW is already set-up for longitudinal mounting and offers 50% more baseline power than ALH stock vs stock and can make substantial power with basic mods. Depends on your goals. I personally prefer BHW. As you draw out a graph of costs vs power, the ALH steepens (stronger rods, etc.) the farther out you go, while a BHW can easily do 250+ with just turbo, injector nozzles, and remap.
I'll give you the longitudinally mounted but the ALH doesn't need rods to make 300tq, they'll live to almost 30psi boost...250 is a mild tune, nozzles and a turbo on an ALH...and you don't have to deal with the counter balance shaft conversion. Maybe I've just not been in the right area and salvage yard but I haven't seen any TDIs on that flavor in Arkansas or Virginia...salvage yards will sell an ALH complete for 450ish

I've seen the Yoda swap threads where they wrestle with the driver's side mount that isn't there...6 of 1...half dozen of the other...

I'm running about 25psi on an engine with 326k miles and it pulls hard...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk