Cup Holders...

OttawaTDI

TDI
2003 Golf GLS Mojave Beige (Picked up on April 25, 2003)
I pick up my Golf GLS tomorrow so I don't have any meaningful questions yet...
My one question for now is, has anyone found a simple solution to the skimpy little cupholders? I can't put a center console in because of the arm rest and holding it between my legs is not a viable solution.
Thanks in advance,
Andrew

CoJoNEs

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf; 2015 Golf
The skimpy cup holders in the dash?
Be suprised, they hold very well. I have had 2 32oz drinks in there and had no problems driving like I normally do (which is too fast and corner too hard)

TedA

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS, relex silver
I found the stock cup holder my 01 Jetta held a bottle of soda too tightly, and you needed to pry the spring loaded section open....or else you take a bath. (Very difficult to do both while driving!) Other larger size cups from our favorite fast food places felt unsteady and top heavey. Hence, an inexpensive addition the VW design, and it works. I borrowed the bud vase idea from the Beetle... looks great. Flowers not included.
web page

DallasTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta then 2011 A3 & 2013 Beetle
I think the cupholders are placed in a horrible place, but I think they hold things fairly steady. I have it down to a science to push the springed lever to the left with my thumb as I lift the cup or mug out of the slot with my other four fingers. And to do the same when putting something in. Taking the tension off the cup tends to prevent slippage when pulling and pushing.

OttawaTDI

TDI
2003 Golf GLS Mojave Beige (Picked up on April 25, 2003)
Well this is good to hear. If I have to find one thing to bug me on a car, this would be a good one to have. It's good to know that this won't a big deal either.
Andrew

chemmie

TDI
ummm... 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
I just got back from test driving a new TDI Golf and a new TDI Jetta and both had a center console in them. I think VW has finally gotten rid of the radio/cup holder combo. These were both 03 models and both were delivered to the dealer within the past couple weeks. If you are getting a new 03 Golf or Jetta you might not have to worry about the cup holders and might have a center console. It wasnt very big but had 2 small cup holders in it and an armrest.

RichTDI

TDI
2003 Reflex Silver, 5 Spd,Leather, ESP, Spoiler, Monsoon
I got my 03 Jetta last week and it has the center console cup holders. This was a mid year correction to the Jetta. The only problem is that you can't use the arm reast when there is a cup in the holder.

TomChatham

TDI
2003 Jetta Black
I picked up my 2003 Jetta wagon on Friday. There are two cup holders in the center console and one at the rear of the console for use in the back seat. You can use the arm rest and still use the front cup holder, but you cannot use the second cupholder with the arm rest down.

Tom R.

ink

TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, White
I just bought a TDI Golf GLS 03 and I just had to buy the center console cupholder adapter from drivergear.vw.com. The one that is embedded above the "Monsoon" CD/tape player blocks the slot-loading player. I don't have much of a problem with stability, or being able to hold large drinks with it, but it's just inconvenient. Still, the center console ones bump my elbows.... I think european car manufacturers still have a lot to learn about cup holders.
It's my only complaint with this sexy new car.