EPA Emissions Warranty on a Totalled/Rebuild VW?

byrdiblack

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I purchased a rebuild 2011 Jetta Sportwagen (currently at 73,000 miles).
It was hit on the front left corner, and an easy repair. I think the previous owner just wanted to accept the insurance and get a newer model.

Things have been wonderful for two years, but dash lights went on last month.

I got two separate diagnostics, one at a 3rd party, and one at the dealer, and found out I need to replace the temperature exhaust sensor, and the particulate filter, which will total about $3300.

When I asked, the dealer rep told me I was absolutely not qualified for the Federal Emissions Act in any exhaust system help because my VIN number shows the car was previously totaled.

I realize that means I'm not in warranty for VW, but doesn't the Federal Emissions Act cover all cars under 80,000 miles?

He told me: "actually under 70,000 for my vehicle since it's a ZPEV model."

When I asked what causes this failure, he said that it honestly happens at around 30,000 for these vehicles, which makes me feel like this had nothing to do with the total. And that the repair would be considered preventative for an entire new exhaust system later.

I've taken pristine care of the car since it's come into my ownership.

Do I really not qualify for EPA help with the exhaust parts?
Hope someone can help!

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Totalled means Totalled... I can't see why a manufacturer would be obligated to continue to offer a warranty of any sort. The vehicle experienced significant damage - chances are in this case your DPF is cracked. Who's to say that crack didn't occur in the accident that caused the car to be totalled?

This is the risk you take when you buy a vehicle that doesn't have a clean title. You saved a considerable amount on the purchase I'm expecting, the reason you saved that money was because the vehicle isn't worth the same as one without damage. Here is a perfect example of that.

byrdiblack

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Federal Emissions Clean Air Act - I QUALIFY

In case anyone else is navigating emissions warranties, I just wanted to give an update that I ended up qualifying for the Federal Emissions Act warranty and VW is replacing/repairing my exhaust system free of charge.

My car having a totaled title had nothing to do with the federal warranty that covers all cars within a certain make/year under 80,000 miles.

I only needed to ask the EPA, and then document a paper trail with the VW of USA offices. You can require all diagnostics and rejections be written, and then appeal to the proper parties to fight for your eligibility. As mentioned previously, I take great care of my care and there was no way they could link the failure to an accident.

It took a couple months but I'm saving $3,300.

Here is the information for the EPA rep:

The Clean Air Act requires manufacturers of light duty vehicles to cover vehicles which were properly used and maintained under an emissions warranty. In other words, a manufacturer is not responsible to repair a vehicle which was damaged in an accident or due to neglected maintenance under the emissions warranty.
The fact that the vehicle has a salvage title alone is probably not justification to deny a warranty claim. On the other hand, a manufacture is only responsible to pay for warranty claims after their dealership has had the opportunity to properly diagnose the problem. If they conclude that the damage was caused by an accident (or flood etc.), they can deny the claim. You have the right to require a written explanation of the reason for denying your claim if you disagree with their findings. Many manufactures have a policy to automatically deny warranty claims for vehicle a with a salvage title. This leaves it up to the individual to peruse the claim further.

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
In case anyone else is navigating emissions warranties, I just wanted to give an update that I ended up qualifying for the Federal Emissions Act warranty and VW is replacing/repairing my exhaust system free of charge.

My car having a totaled title had nothing to do with the federal warranty that covers all cars within a certain make/year under 80,000 miles.

I only needed to ask the EPA, and then document a paper trail with the VW of USA offices. You can require all diagnostics and rejections be written, and then appeal to the proper parties to fight for your eligibility. As mentioned previously, I take great care of my care and there was no way they could link the failure to an accident.

It took a couple months but I'm saving $3,300.

Here is the information for the EPA rep:

The Clean Air Act requires manufacturers of light duty vehicles to cover vehicles which were properly used and maintained under an emissions warranty. In other words, a manufacturer is not responsible to repair a vehicle which was damaged in an accident or due to neglected maintenance under the emissions warranty.
The fact that the vehicle has a salvage title alone is probably not justification to deny a warranty claim. On the other hand, a manufacture is only responsible to pay for warranty claims after their dealership has had the opportunity to properly diagnose the problem. If they conclude that the damage was caused by an accident (or flood etc.), they can deny the claim. You have the right to require a written explanation of the reason for denying your claim if you disagree with their findings. Many manufactures have a policy to automatically deny warranty claims for vehicle a with a salvage title. This leaves it up to the individual to peruse the claim further.

Good info. Also so you know if your car has any open recalls thay have to be performed even though the car shows it to be totaled so dont let the dealer deny any recalls on your vehicle

Robert trout

TDI
09 sports wagon tdi
I have a 2009 tdi sports wagon with a 160,000 miles . The check engine light comes on and goes away . Had it checked at the dealer ( mistake ) I am told that it needs $6000 in repairs . I am told that both converters are bad the dpf is bad the egr Valve and filter
Some seals and clamps plus time to replace all listed above . I have located replacement parts form a yard in Midwest at 1/3 the cost of new . Having trouble finding a shop that will install them . Any thoughts on this

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I have a 2009 tdi sports wagon with a 160,000 miles . The check engine light comes on and goes away . Had it checked at the dealer ( mistake ) I am told that it needs $6000 in repairs . I am told that both converters are bad the dpf is bad the egr Valve and filter
Some seals and clamps plus time to replace all listed above . I have located replacement parts form a yard in Midwest at 1/3 the cost of new . Having trouble finding a shop that will install them . Any thoughts on this
might want to post this in the MK V forum

have you purchased the parts and have them on-hand?

my thoughts start with questions.

which errors are read which lead to the check engine light?

is your tailpipe sooty?

did your replacement parts come from a later model? (with separate DOC/DPF and NOX Cat)

what kind of background info do you have on the replacement parts?

Have you called several independent mechanic shops, or just dealers?

Robert trout

TDI
09 sports wagon tdi
Mike I have check in with 3 independent shops and they all tell me that they will not use customer supplied parts . I have not brought the parts as of yet they tell me that the parts will pass NY state emissions I have to take the car to a independent shop and leave it for a have a day or better to see if they can fix it . In talking to a nother TDI guy in his opintion that the service guys like to read the report and just replace all that might be giving trouble
We have lost real service personal who know how to trouble shoot and fix the problem rather then just replace it all

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
these VW TDIs are somewhat difficult to understand, unless you find a guy who works on them. and the 2009 is a unique duck

have you checked out the trusted mechanics list?

so it is true, that if your EGR filter is clogged up from a cracked DPF, the right way to fix it is to replace the EGR filter and the DPF. (perhaps without the EGR valve..)

but on the 09, as you probably know, the NOX cat is welded up to the DOC/DPF.

most folks who have to replace use parts from the later years, which have a joint in between, even VW will do this.

perhaps if you find a shop, they would use a used NOX cat you get and order a rebuilt DPF for you, vw retail is around $1100 for the DPF, but the NOX cat is only available new, and it costs around $2400 new. (add some markup and labor and you have a price)

the other problem, is probably that it may be illegal to use used emissions parts in NY. so the blended approach may work, or may not.

another way is for you to buy a VCDS and we could help you validate what exactly is wrong.

you also might consider using a shop in PA or Ohio, might be worth a few calls and save you some $$.

just thoughts

the other driving question is when your next emissions inspection is due.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4834622&postcount=18

you might take a look here too.

could be worth the call.

this larger filter could be a solution, depending on what exactly is wrong

I know it would be a bit of a drive, but I like that drive (I lived in Rome, NY for ten years or so, and my son still lives there)

Robert trout

TDI
09 sports wagon tdi
Mike , thanks for your advice on my perplexing ordeal . My next emission inspecting is in November so I have time . The yard that I am working with tells that their converters are tested and will pass state emissions the place is called pam's auto and it's in MN . My next thing is to check to tail pipe for soot . Do a lot of other things and supporting my wife on things she needs . Hope to get the car over to this shop so,they can check it out . Will also give the master mechanic list . Also,have a non Member of the family who has a sun machine with the German soft ware having a hard time contacting him .

Robert trout

TDI
09 sports wagon tdi
Hi mike , stuck my finger in the exhaust pipe and there is some soot in the pipe ( very thin)
Going to give Bob Mann a call in a few days so see epwhat he can do for me . Thanks again for all your help
Robert

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Totalled means Totalled... I can't see why a manufacturer would be obligated to continue to offer a warranty of any sort. The vehicle experienced significant damage - chances are in this case your DPF is cracked. Who's to say that crack didn't occur in the accident that caused the car to be totalled?

This is the risk you take when you buy a vehicle that doesn't have a clean title. You saved a considerable amount on the purchase I'm expecting, the reason you saved that money was because the vehicle isn't worth the same as one without damage. Here is a perfect example of that.

Total total bs. Totalled can mean bumper damage on a higher mileage car. I just did a salvage inspection on a 2014 Dodge 200 with 10,000 km's, that's ten thousand, not one hundred thousand. It was damaged at the left rear bumper cover, that's it. One new skin and a plastic support, fixed. Yep, that's totalled, :rolleyes: :p

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Totalled is nothing more than a designation that mechanically unskilled mouth breathers (insurance pukes) use to ensure maximal profits and minimal payouts. As others have noted, it often has very little to do with the repairabilty/viability of any particular vehicle . . . just more bean counter BS to ensure that you don't get the coverage you thought you paid for . . .

- Tim

Robert trout

TDI
09 sports wagon tdi
On my into the city this morning a saw a 2014/15 TDI gofl 2 door coupe with German plates then NY plates over the top a bit lowered black rims moving right out in the traffice lanes

DizelDvica

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta
Byrdiblack,
Thanks for sharing your experience. As a owner of several "totaled" TDIs now and in past I can say that my experience was varying by dealer. I do all my own maintenance, so very rarely I ever venture to VW dealerships (for parts only), but had been denied and accepted on safety and other recalls before. Some places will cover those types of repairs without any issue, others will have "issue" with title. Never really fought too much, just went to different place and done.
Never had Emission work request. I assumed that would not be covered, and so far had not had many major issues I could not handle my self, but with your experience, I'll certainly keep that in mind.
Can you tell us who did you contact once dealer denied you for emission coverage? EPA? If you can share some of that info would be greatly appreciated. What was their initial response and why did it take couple of months?

Thanks in advance....

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Robert, If you are not experiencing driving issues, and the light is intermittent you are likely able to pass emissions, go in when the light is off, you will probably pass or the shop will clear your codes, have you drive hard 20 minutes or so to set your monitors and scan again. any small inspection shop can get all but the most damaged system to pass. half the 10 yo gas cars on the street have some sort of check engine, evaporation emissions/ obd2 problem 99% of the year, If its running ok, and you are allready planning to replace the egr filter (probably plugging up from the cracked dpf)

maybe not the best way to get it done, but can buy you extra time while you are figuring out how to proceed.

Oilerlord

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI w/DSG. 700 Mile Club. 2008 BMW X3 "Beatrice", 2004 BMW 330Xi, 2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric
That's why you got the big discount when buying a vehicle with a salvage title...there's no definitive way to find know the limits of "moderate" damage that may show up on a Carfax search, and that black "salvage" mark on the title will follow you when the time comes to sell. Honestly, your entitlement to warranty ended the moment after the car was written off so VW really doesn't owe you anything but chose to cover your claim out of goodwill. All manufacturers are well within their rights to refuse warranty claims on any vehicle with a salvage title. I've had some successes with picking up written off vehicles on the cheap, but have also had a few nightmares. Personally, it isn't worth the risk.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
What powerslave said. :cool:

byrdiblack

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Yup. Powerslave got it.

My car is now repaired, all dashboard lights are off, and I only paid $200 for a sensor that was not covered by law. This is a huge relief and I'm so thankful I did not stop researching after reading posts by vanbcguy.

Here is a link to contacts at the EPA.
http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/otaqcontacts.pdf

We specifically worked with Joel Ball, because of his alternative fuel vehicle title.

Basically you have to pay for a service diagnosis. Get rejection for any warranty claim in writing. Provide rejection to EPA contact. And inform VW of USA you've contacted the EPA on the matter.

The time it took was due to multiple phone calls, ignored emails, bringing in other reps when we were told incorrect information.

At one point, VW of USA told us that particulate filters were not covered under the Clean Air Emissions Act. And then two hours later, a supervisor calling us and saying, they wanted to apologize for the misinformation and that in fact particulate filters ARE covered.

Basically, just keep asking, when someone says no, get a supervisor involved to put it in writing.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Glad you had a good final result, and glad you were able to document the procedure so we all learned something!