www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 11th, 2018, 06:52   #1
cana_julian

Default still only getting at most 370-400 miles to a tank help!

Ive got a 03 tdi 01m auto. Only modification done to the car is GTI long beach wheels. I just had the transmission rebuilt (for failure) and im still not seeing the mileage that anybody else is claiming to get! I have no cel on and ive changed the map sensor, maf sensor and glow plugs. what else could cause poor mpgs? Ive noticed the egr might be getting clogged because it looks like its starting to come out of the gaskets or did at some point. Could that be the cause? Still have no lights on for it and im waiting for the delete to get in but im just looking for ideas. Are my mpgs normal or does anybody else have any insight?
cana_julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 08:03   #2
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Do you fill completely full by venting or have you drilled out the vent? Instead of having the tranny rebuilt you should have had the 5spd swap done. 01m 37-43mpg, avg 40, 5sp 47-53 mpg, avg 50. My old 01m I could get (by venting) around 530-570 miles per tank a couple of 600+ tanks. On my 5pd(vented) I get 670-740 per tank with a handful of 800+ tanks.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 08:08   #3
cana_julian

[QUOTE=Tdijarhead;5369462]Do you fill completely full by venting or have you drilled out the vent? Instead of having the tranny rebuilt you should have had the 5spd swap done. 01m 37-43mpg, avg 40, 5sp 47-53 mpg, avg 50. My old 01m I could get (by venting) around 530-570 miles per tank a couple of 600+ tanks. On my 5pd(vented) I get 670-740 per tank with a handful of 800+ tanks.

I didn't want to put as much money towards this as its just my daily was the only reason I didn't swap it. Where would I drill the hole? is there a sticky or link on how to do it? I wish I was seeing even 450 miles to a tank!
Old January 11th, 2018, 08:45   #4
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Yup a link to a sister site, I couldn't find the tdiclub one quick enough.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/fu...nd-passat-tdi/
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 08:53   #5
KERMA

There are a number of things that could cause low MPG
I will ist a few of the more common ones, but this won't be a complete list. But it should give you a place to start.

first thing to check is always the thermostat. Others, in no particular order:

1) timing and IQ
2) clogged intake manifold
3) boost leaks
4) low compression
5) snow screen
6) air filter
7) clogged cat
8) turbo vanes stuck/vacuum/N75
9) injection pump worn out ("cold start" valve)
10) timing belt off a tooth

good luck
No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical. - Neils Bohr
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 10:17   #6
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

I basically had the same car, a 2002 with the same automatic.
The car was sluggish to take off and at every slight inline would shift to a lower gear.
The first thing I did was to swap the original injector nozzles to .205's which made quite a difference. My next step was to have the computer chipped via the OBD II port to stage 2. That made the car perform very well.
It also improved the mileage significantly. Over the years I had the car I regularly got over 800km (500 miles) on a tank with the ventectomy done as well. My best ever was 1,200km (720miles) to a tank.

Long, long ago a dynometer test showed approximately 129hp compared to the 95hp originally from the factory.

Last edited by Jetta_Pilot; January 11th, 2018 at 10:20.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 10:37   #7
cana_julian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERMA View Post
There are a number of things that could cause low MPG
I will ist a few of the more common ones, but this won't be a complete list. But it should give you a place to start.

first thing to check is always the thermostat. Others, in no particular order:

1) timing and IQ
2) clogged intake manifold
3) boost leaks
4) low compression
5) snow screen
6) air filter
7) clogged cat
8) turbo vanes stuck/vacuum/N75
9) injection pump worn out ("cold start" valve)
10) timing belt off a tooth

good luck
If my temps are normal should I still check the thermostat? I live in texas so the weather usually isn't cold. My injection pump is leaking a little from the very top gasket not much though. Other than that the car runs good and doesn't seem boggy etc. Ive checked for boost leaks nothing. I have looked for leaky injector lines and nothing.
Old January 15th, 2018, 06:57   #8
TX Smoke

TDI(s): 2003 Beetle

I’m out in the Hill Country between Llano and Marble Falls, not sure where you are. Something I’ve noticed with my wife’s diesel Cruze is it just won’t hit the numbers other people see due to the hills. It can hit pretty good numbers when we get away from the area, between home and Austin where the car spends most of its time it stays about 10mpg below what most people report.

I don’t know how much it effects my TDI Bettle. I’ve never left the area in it, and I’ve never seen anything close to what people claim.

I do know they are both a lot more fun to drive than a gas car that gets similar mileage especially out here in the hills.
TX Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 09:23   #9
piotrsko
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46 city/56 hwy so far wonder what the Golf gets

driving habits affect mpg considerably.
cruise control trips on a flat highway at 70 degrees will give you best mileage.
changing your rims indicates that you don't drive like me, an old man.
piotrsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:12   #10
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

First, read through this:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=342274

Second, use "miles per gallon" instead of "miles per tank", since those are very different things. Miles per tank is range, and since we have no idea just how much you actually put IN the tank, we can only guess as to your actual miles per gallon.

Most ALH+automatics can get ~45 MPG or so if driven steady highway at a not-too-high of speed. But a lot never see that, some average as low as 40. Just depends on how fast you want to go. The slushbox sucks a LOT of MPG out of the engine around town, and the slightly lower overall gearing takes a bit out on the highway. You add in a few issues (like what I outline in my thread linked above) and you can see 35 MPG tanks, which is not that great.
Old January 15th, 2018, 14:30   #11
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

Just for what it's worth, my 2002 averaged out at 50 Mpg religiously kept track of until 2016 when I bought the Passat. But as oilhammer states, I kept my speeds to about 75 Mph on interstates. Only a few times did I open it up until I reached about 120 Mph for a short stretch.
This was in Mexico where did not have to worry about County Mounties.
Old January 15th, 2018, 17:39   #12
narongc73
Veteran Member

Very simple. Diesels do best with long distance hwy miles. Try driving all city and short distance, you'll see 30 or less mpg.
narongc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 23:03   #13
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

400/12ish gallons is 33ish mpg
seems reasonable for an auto in the winter
How cold's it get where you're at?
I'll add dragging brakes to the other causes listed above, along with flat tires and bad alignment.

the guys that get 60 or better are generally impeding traffic
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 09:39   #14
jjblbi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41ish mpg post fix

How long is your typical drive? Does the car get fully up to temp? Dragging brakes, try measuring each rotors temp with a non contact thermometer after a drive. An abnormally hot rotor may indicate a brake issue. Do you have a snow screen and is it clear? Have you checked timing via VCDS?
jjblbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2018, 22:47   #15
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Long beach wheels are heavy and they will eat up mpg.

Auto's average 38-40 mpg and some hover around 35 around town.

You are on the low side, my first auto Sedan would get 750-800 km's per tank with a best of 850 on a road trip and beating the crap out of it, so that's around 500 miles.

Ventecomy doesn't do squat for mpg, that's only for going longer.

Check brakes, IQ, and fix the leaking IP and swap the rims to steels, Wolfsburg BBS wheels or 15's.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.

Last edited by turbovan+tdi; January 28th, 2018 at 23:13.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote