Need advice on selling 2005 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon (Seattle)

Matt_Seattle

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon
This forum seems like a good place to ask for advice on getting what value I can out of my Jetta. IT has a leaking turbocharger that needs replacing- $1800. The mounting bracket that holds the engine thermostat and coolant temp sensors in place has broken- $500ish. The left axle shaft is throwing grease and needs replacing- $?. Anyway the service shop estimated $3400 in repairs. The KBB value of the car is similar.

I am not inclined to repair it. I've spent enough on it and I'd rather put that much cash towards a DP on something new. Any advice on how to proceed?

Basic info on the car:
162,709 miles
Timing belt, belt tensioner & roller, water pump, fuel pump replaced last summer. Rear tires replaced last month. "Panzer plate" installed. Windows tinted. Rear brakes close to replacement.

THanks,

Matt

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
This forum seems like a good place to ask for advice on getting what value I can out of my Jetta. IT has a leaking turbocharger that needs replacing- $1800. The mounting bracket that holds the engine thermostat and coolant temp sensors in place has broken- $500ish. The left axle shaft is throwing grease and needs replacing- $?. Anyway the service shop estimated $3400 in repairs. The KBB value of the car is similar.

I am not inclined to repair it. I've spent enough on it and I'd rather put that much cash towards a DP on something new. Any advice on how to proceed?

Basic info on the car:
162,709 miles
Timing belt, belt tensioner & roller, water pump, fuel pump replaced last summer. Rear tires replaced last month. "Panzer plate" installed. Windows tinted. Rear brakes close to replacement.

THanks,

Matt
That KBB value seems low in my opinion for a fixed car. Yeah I'm sure what value is correct with the listed things wrong, but not for a correct/good car. If you want to sell it I'm sure some here would be willing to buy it from if you're just looking to unload it. Wagons command a premium over sedan's, especially diesel wagons. My suggestion would be to keep it instead of saddle yourself with a car payment for another 48-60 months. I've always thought it cheaper to keep a car than buy new... Also, auto or manual?

Matt_Seattle

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon
My suggestion would be to keep it instead of saddle yourself with a car payment for another 48-60 months. I've always thought it cheaper to keep a car than buy new... Also, auto or manual?

That was my attitude, up to this point. Now, I'd rather just budget for monthly payments than have $X,000 repair bombs dropped on me at unpredictable intervals.

It's an automatic w/ a Tiptronic shifter-- which, BTW, stopped working last month. Grr.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
That was my attitude, up to this point. Now, I'd rather just budget for monthly payments than have $X,000 repair bombs dropped on me at unpredictable intervals.

It's an automatic w/ a Tiptronic shifter-- which, BTW, stopped working last month. Grr.
Have you sought out a guru near you for at least a second opinion on costs? Also, said guru might either want to buy it from you or know someone who is looking for one. Either way it never hurts to have a second opinion from someone who really knows TDI's. As for the tiptronic trans having issues, I seem to remember some sort of shift solenoid failing in tiptronic transmissions as being an issue. To wrap this up, seek out a guru/trusted mechanic from here and have them evaluate it.

Matt_Seattle

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon
The game is afoot: I've already had an offer for $2500.

I only discovered now that I've received several personal messages. Sorry for the delay in responding.

It's a 2005 GLS TDI. Silver with gray leather interior.
Windows tinted last summer.
Tinted power moon roof
Roof rack installed
Air conditioning, power seats with heaters.
It has the retractable cargo cover for the back.

Paint job is in great shape, no scratches, no dents, no rust. Only cosmetic issue is minor scratching on the rear hubcaps, probably from

scraping a curb parking. Interior is also in great shape. The only cosmetic defect is a bit of loose stitching on the driver's seat.

I will post pictures shortly.

The turbocharger has been leaking for some time. My regular mechanic told me it would eventually need replacing and quoted $1800, so

I took it to another shop for inspection and they said it needed replacing soon and quoted $2000.

It drives fine and I am driving it now. Without the data from the sensors it often goes into "Limp Mode" as the mechanic calls it and

doesn't like climbing hills. Engine light comes on when air temp gets below 40F. The proximate issue is the axle joint cover. It's making

some noise.

The story with the fuel pump is: it was stolen last spring and the idiot thief refilled it with a jerry can of gasoline. When it shut down he

abandoned it. The cops impounded it until I could have it towed to the mechanic. So the fuel boost pump was replaced and the fuel

system purged. As a precaution I had the car detailed with the six-hour enzyme soak.