blown head gasket

TDI
2003 jetta gls
Hi everyone I own two tdi's my first was a 2003 jetta 1.9l alh second for wife was a 2006 touareg v10. I still own both and have decided to take more interest in my fellow tdi community. So i am thinking of buying a third one now because my baby is broke i was told that she blew a head gasket the jetta that is and i have found out it is ether to expensive to have someone else do it or beyond my mediocre at mechanic skills. I guess i am looking for either a good free lance mechanic in west central FL or anyone who may be interested in helping me out with info or looking to sell a pre pumpe duse tdi for less than 8k. thanks for taking the time to read and it would also be nice to find any fellow members in the area to bs with thanks.

Crankous

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GL 5speed w/Panzer FMJ, 2005 B5.5 passat auto, 2000 Golf 4 door 5 speed
Welcome!! I think you could find someone who will help you with your car on here. I know I would do it pro bono if you brought the beer and pizza and lived closer :p

Shoot! with all the info on here all you would have to do is, do some searching, ask some questions, start a thread, and take your time :)

Man.... I sure would love to have a V10 Touareg :)

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Head gasket failure is pretty rare unless something else is/was going on. Some more "proper" forensic mechanic diagnosis is in order. Find someone competent to check out and work on the Jetta.

TDI
2003 jetta gls
Yeah I took it to a European auto mechanic and that's what they told me but he also made me an offer about a trade for a 99 jetta automatic i have a manual so that made me question the 2000 dollar fix. well i would love to take it somewhere else but its at least 50 bucks to get it anywhere so i was looking for any ideas i would love to fix it and yeah i could find the solution here Ive already looked it up i just want to make sure that's the problem first. also so more info is i replaced the water pump and got a timing belt job on it back in the spring shorty after that the rubber piece on the last injector cracked and was losing alot of fuel and one i fixed that my serpentine belt got shredded and lost the pully below the alternator. the next time it was drove is when it broke down and supposedly head gasket problem wife said it revved up then died as she was driving does that help.

Kingcodez

Veteran Member
TDI
00-Beetle
That sounds like a runaway to me, I would think a head gasket failure would result in a lack of compression.
I live in Orlando, let me know if you wanna tear into the car, I can help.
$8k for that car is a lot, with the issue I'd expect half that.
Just try to fix it your self, if you can't do it then half of the labor is already done, so then tow it to 'full throttle orlando' and have that guy finish the job. It'll take hours just to remove the top bits to get in there anyways.

I could do it in theory, but I haven't messed with the TB yet, other than that it shouldn't be a problem to swap a gasket--if that is the problem.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
sorry whats a runaway, Im a noob?
Uncontrolled/unrequested engine rpms. Engine takes off (revs up) w/o using the fuel pedal/throttle. Usually due to the turbo seals going and leaking oil into the intake system and the engine "runs away" on the oil as fuel. If it goes w/o getting it shut down it will self destruct or bend the connecting rods (or throw one/some thru the engine block, which will shut it down for you). Sometimes a sort runaway is relatively harmless. If it doesn't start afterwards, probably not so much harmless.
TB done a short while ago....Who did it and what parts were used and where did they come from?? I would remove the upper TB cover and have a good look in there, especially at the TB tension.

I wouldn't trade it for an automatic even if the engine is now in bad shape. Find a real TDI mechanic.

Last edited:
TDI
2003 jetta gls
Thanks

Yeah im trying to find a real tdi mechanic this all comes at a bad time because i lost my job so big repairs and even getting it to somewhere is a problem. I really cant say thank you enough for all the help I am just trying to find a solution on a budget and not just duck taping i want it done right or i want to do it right. I have the time just not the funds for tools and mistakes if I do it i have to get it right the first time no room for mistakes.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Verify TB condition. If it has "slipped", the head comes off.
100% sure TB OK, then compression test. (search on how to do an accurate compression test)
Poor numbers and the head comes off to check for bent rods.
IF it turns out to be a head gasket only (unlikely) then figure out the reason for the failure and/or possible runaway, such as turbo fed oil or a hydrolock from water/oil injestion.
The diagnosis isn't too hard and neither is the disassembly with fairly common tools. Take your time, keep stuff in order and clean, take pictures along the way. You've got the time. If you don't have the tools/expertise(?) to fix/reassemble, there is help as posted above.