It Just Quit Running

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
The incident was damned interesting (ultimately the finding is the engine driven (secondary?) fuel pump died).

My wife was driving into town when the Passat just died. She is both an artist and grew up working on a farm/ranch. Her descriptions are terrific and accurate, and she has great reflexes and judgment in handling stuff like that.

So, when she said it just died, she knew to include the fact there was no sputtering or surging or anything else, but like someone turned a switch off. Zero previous indication of a problem when I or she was driving.

The good part is she uses the great coasting feature all the time and knows how well and long it will maintain speed if in neutral. She got it into neutral first, then started checking out the options and realized there was a driveway ahead to pull off into that was in coasting range (the only one in over a mile). She coasted in and got it into a parking spot in a small community assist center.

She called me, I got her onto the 800 towing number, off to VW it went. They were baffled initially and had to call the mother ship.

Good news is it happened in town, she handled it well. We had made some berry picking trips up North around 100 miles. Up here that’s 100 miles from anything. That would have been interesting, and certainly bad in the wrong places where no place to get off the road (very narrow in places) or while passing.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Secondary fuel pump? I thought there was only a lift pump and then the unit injectors driven by the cam...

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Apparently there are two. The in tank unit with its fuel level sensor on it and the engine mounted one. Not sure why (conjectures only) . I am used to the old Unit Injector Detroit Diesel engines with just the engine mounted pump (90 psi as I recall).

They may have called it the "tandem" pump. Paperwork confirms it was engine mounted PN: 038-145-209-N

We got paperwork today and it said it was leaking.

I know the new Cummins Unit Injector engines (now gone to common rail but gen sets are a couple of tiers behind still) uses 250 #, though its still a single engine mounted one.

Maybe the new pump setup can't lift and supply pressure, so they used the tank mounted pump for the lift and 60 psi and volume part and then the engine mounted pump does the rest.

Pump pressures work in line are additive, so if your pump puts out 200 say, then having one feed its suction side with 60 would boost the total to 260.

Maybe someone knows this well enough to say. Maybe easier to do it that way with existing car plumbing and line sizes and make it work and not modify the whole system for the diesels .

Hatchet Ratchet

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Dan is the guy to reference for lift pump issues

see post
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=225672

i'm still fighting w/ mine right now. have to try out adusting the in-tank pump pressure and verifying the line to the fuel filter isn't plugged, before ordering a new pump. thougth the pump runs, may not have enough oooph anymore to make 15psi. was funny ran my tank low, like usual, and was cold overnight, and didn't get any flow come morning when i went to hitch up the trailer to ye old jetta.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Ah yes, the value of coasting in neutral.

I made use of it back in '97 on the autobahn near the Frankfurt, Germany, airport in rush hour traffic. Engine quit running. Big truck behind me. Construction pylons blocking exit to shoulder of the road for several hundred meters.

Shift to neutral and activate flashers.

They're such civilized drivers over there. No blasts from honking horns. The truck driver just slowed down as my car did. Passing motorists waved their mobiles to indicate they were calling to report the need for assistance.

I never did find out the cause of death for that rental.