Key fob options

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I think the flaw if assuming that you hand gun is safe by a $5 lock on the glove box, but to each his own.

I usually keep our Hope Diamond (at matching tennis bracelet) in our glove box and feel your pain ;)

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Misunderstanding.

My gun is in a locked specialty handgun case, which resides inside the $5 locked compartment.

My point is, anyone with my key, can open the car, then the glove box, and take my locked gun case with them.

Still just as dangerous in my opinion.

Flawed, yes?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anyone with a brick and screw driver technically has the same access to that locked glove box, only difference is you didn't hand them the brick and screw driver.

But I hear ya.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Hmm...

Maybe I over looked? It's a big compartment...

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
FYI, what is that stuff to the left and right of the CD player? I have the same thing in my glove compartment.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Memory card holders? Waste of space with Bluetooth...

Rather have valet stuff and a 3rd roadie holder... Hahaha ....

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Oh, anyways. According to the video I can't engage my vehicle to valet mode...

I see the option in vcds coding though....

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
We keep a box of zip lock bags on the boat, to throw your phone etc in, you can get 1/2 size sandwich bags even. double up and zero issue. you'd think the co coordinators would keep stuff though

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
that front slot is a piggy bank BTW its open and your coin falls in,, a $2 lesson in Canada,, Posting for a friend

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
I have been on several of those "mud runs" in recent years. I have kept my wallet, keys and change of clothes in a ratty backpack (looks like it went on a mud run) in the bag holding area they usually have on site. I have never had an issue and neither have any of my friends. I do have a friend with a new Porsche and he puts his key battery on the top of one of his tires. He removes the battery out of the FOB and puts the FOB in his bag in the holding area. Can't see the battery on the tire and the FOB won't work (he is paranoid).

As far as a spare key, one of those RFI bags used to protect electronics in shipping works great. Place that in a key holder on the car somewhere and that would work as a back up.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
If you're still wanting to carry the key, how about a double bag in zip lock? One inside the other? When I cycle in winter, humidity gets everywhere with me sweating and the cold air. It's an odd sensation. I double bag the key in two separate ziplocks, one inside the other. I've never had moisture migration in periods lasting up to four hours.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Oh, well, I had a $10 key cut couple days ago.

Thanks for the baggy ideas.

My new fascination is why this car has no valet option.

CGR

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual. Silver/Black
Put your key FOB in a fold top sandwich back and put a twist tie on the bag. Then put that inside a ziplock sandwich bag. Put the whole thing in your pocket. Cheap and easy without bulk.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Hahahaa

I made 2 keys to open just car doors.

I had my key in a bag with our shirts at bag storage for the event. Return with bib # and yiy can get your tagged bag

My buddy pinned the 2nd one in his pocket.

He lost his, and someone else took the bag at bag storage.

So it was a double fail.

Good thing I didn't carry a multi hundred &$ fob in a plastic baggie, also good thing I didn't put my 2nd multi hundred $ fob in the event storage area...

Fawk...

Has beer and waited for GF to I show up with my 3rd fob... I camped at my car wondering if anyone would sniff out my car, lights never blinked....

Oh well.

Good ideas guys. Seems mine was the least expensive fail.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Sounds to me like you need less strenuous activities...

Hahahaa

I made 2 keys to open just car doors.

I had my key in a bag with our shirts at bag storage for the event. Return with bib # and yiy can get your tagged bag

My buddy pinned the 2nd one in his pocket.

He lost his, and someone else took the bag at bag storage.

So it was a double fail.

Good thing I didn't carry a multi hundred &$ fob in a plastic baggie, also good thing I didn't put my 2nd multi hundred $ fob in the event storage area...

Fawk...

Has beer and waited for GF to I show up with my 3rd fob... I camped at my car wondering if anyone would sniff out my car, lights never blinked....

Oh well.

Good ideas guys. Seems mine was the least expensive fail.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Oh no.

I just signed up for the Spartan race in North Carolina too.....

I found my old man dead sitting in a chair with good knees. No such thing as strenuous, and I can live with bad knees.

Sounds to me like you need less strenuous activities...

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
At my age, a brisk walk of 4-5 miles a few times a week keeps my doctor happy. You kids! ;)

Oh no.

I found my old man dead sitting in a chair with good knees. No such thing as strenuous, and I can live with bad knees.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Oh no.

Sounds like you need to take a key babysitter with you. Maybe they can make some money watching keys for everyone at a $1 a pop.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Naw.

I think I'll just find a good hiding spot.

Squirrel it somewhere. Actually bag it and hide it somewhere. Won't fall out of pocket and obviously the bag check system is Flawed.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
that's what all the hardcore tough mudders do.

Reminds me of Christopher Walkins watch from Pulp Fiction.

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
All the places that can cut a key for my fob are usually open M-F so haven't gotten to it yet. I have been running with the Golf brick key fob in my pocket and hasn't been that bad. Just have to tie my shorts a little bit tighter.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Sounds like you need to take a key babysitter with you. Maybe they can make some money watching keys for everyone at a $1 a pop.
Someone was watching they bag tag system.

That's the upsetting part.... Someone without my bib# walked past staff and took my bag.

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
I got key cut last week for my '15 Golf TDI. $35 at a local shop. So when I drive somewhere and run long distance, I just carry this skinny key and lock the key fob in the glove compartment. I pop the cover off of the handle, lock the car, replace cover and off I go. Do the same with my '14 Jetta 1.8 but it's a little easier b/c built in key slot in the handle.

One thing that this cut key doesn't do on the Golf but does do on the Jetta is unlock all 4 doors. That's kind of annoying b/c the first thing I want to do is unlock everything so I can open the hatch and change into a dry shirt. But instead I have get in the car and open the glove compartment and grab the key fob to do this. Even the unlock button on the door doesn't work after unlocking with the cut key. And there's no remote hatch button in the S model anyway. I've looked at the car settings too and it's already set to unlock all the doors.

Oh well.....I can deal with it. Still better running without that chunky fob for sure.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Maybe put the fob in the seat back pocket instead. Easy to grab without getting in and if someone did get in they would almost certainly look in the glove box but might not check the seat pocket.

nomadic

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S dsg
Maybe put the fob in the seat back pocket instead. Easy to grab without getting in and if someone did get in they would almost certainly look in the glove box but might not check the seat pocket.
True. Good idea. Assuming I can manually open the back door with the handle after unlocking with the cut key....and it's not in some locked state.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Don't your front seats have the back pocket? Slide them forward or tilt them forward and just reach in from the front drivers door.