"Mileage" vs. "MPG" vs. "Mile range" vs. "Miles per tank"

NB TDI

Veteran Member
Re: "Mileage" vs. "MPG" vs. "Mile range" vs. "Miles per tank"

well i think that if you fill up your car with 5 gallon drive until empty.. and the fill it up 15 gallons drive the same road until empty.. you'd get better mpg on the gallon tank because less weight

BongoBrains

Veteran Member
TDI
01' Golf GLS Silver/Blk

Originally posted by NB TDI:
well i think that if you fill up your car with 5 gallon drive until empty.. and the fill it up 15 gallons drive the same road until empty.. you'd get better mpg on the gallon tank because less weight
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What "gallon tank"??? Keep thinking...

boyelectric

Veteran Member

Originally posted by jjvincent:
Jack up the RR of the car while you're filling it. If there are any air pockets in the tank, they might come out.
We used to watch the Camaro's do this when they would come in for a fuel stop. With a 944 we could only get in an extra 0.2 gallon.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I used to do this on previous diesels (Chevette, Nissan Sentra, Ford F250) when I really wanted to get it full. In the Ford I used to carry around a few extra 2x4s to elevate the filling side/corner. Hell, in that case I could get in an extra gallon or two.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)

Originally posted by jjvincent:
One other way to check fuel mileage is to equip your car with a PI system. Put on 2 fuel counters and a wheel speed sensor. Now you have realtime data.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I like this - but rather than use a wheel speed sensor and introduce MPH variation due to air pressure and tire diameter and all that jazz . . .

Use a ground speed sensor, one fuel sensor on each of the fuel lines - take the difference of the two sensors and you've got true consumption.

Problem is the sensitivity of those sensors will have to be soo great esp for those slow pokes puttin around at 50 mph in 5th gear . . . that and how do you take a real true groundspeed number? (GPS?)