www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old October 16th, 2017, 09:08   #106
petee_c
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.6ish L /100km golf.... just under 10L/100km q7

Update:

2006 Jetta BRM

I did the original JB weld(High temp) fix in October 2016 with about 226K km on the clock.
For the past few weeks I began noticing exhaust smell in the cabin idling at stop lights. Lets say Sept 2017 and 260K km...

My $5 EGR fix lasted about 11 months and 34K km or about 21,000 miles....

Car is going back up in the air, and I'll be redoing it as well as tackling a couple other things over the next couple evenings....
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 07:56   #107
petee_c
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.6ish L /100km golf.... just under 10L/100km q7

The JB weld high heat had failed enough to cause exhaust smell in the cabin at stoplights. As you can see in the above picture it was mostly intact.

I used a small drill bit (about 1/8") to drill into the remaining material and then broke it out with an awl.

I was able to use about a 1" section of the JB weld bought in 2016 to redo the egr bushing...

Note to self for next time ... probably only need to cut off 0.75" of JB weld High Heat putty. Still had lots I didn't use this time.

Space blanket that was around the vacuum actuator is mostly gone. I didn't decide to put the remnants of it back on....
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 11:18   #108
Nohlan_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch8 View Post
Any update on sealing it shut with jb weld high temp,? I live up north in Canada, temperatures get cold I would want the keep the valve open 100% all the time, to have faster warm up time, but little worried about the summer time where temperatures are higher? I'm assuming the cooling system can keep up? Thanks

Any answer on this? Which position is to direct flow through the cooler and not bypass it. I need full heat to the coolant in Canada.
Nohlan_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 11:43   #109
bondtimbond
Veteran Member

FYI, my fix dated July 2015 and in this thread is still holding strong last I looked at it and have noticed no ill effects. Not sure of current milage but I'd guess at least 40K.
Old May 16th, 2018, 14:52   #110
Nohlan_4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtimbond View Post
FYI, my fix dated July 2015 and in this thread is still holding strong last I looked at it and have noticed no ill effects. Not sure of current milage but I'd guess at least 40K.
Do you know which position the flap needs to be in to go through the coolant side of the cooler?
Nohlan_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 04:58   #111
Gnits

TDI(s): Touareg R5

Quote:
Originally Posted by supak111 View Post
stuffing half the hole with steel wool might not be a bad idea and cover the rest with quick steel or whatever else people have tried so far.

I think my fix lasted this long because I covered the quick steel with the metal bracket I made so even though quick steel MIGHT be falling apart inside it can't come out because of the bracket... maybe
I think what happened was that the steel wool caught most of the larger exhaust particles that would have leaked otherwise, and slowly but steadily these built up to a solid mass, that fully stopped the leak. So, what you've have in there is a seal made of steel wool and carbon soot, that's now filling all the crevices perfectly, not allowing anything to exit anymore. Just my two cents.
Gnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 14:29   #112
bondtimbond
Veteran Member

FYI, the last fix I implemented that is documented in this thread lasted until I sold the car at 144K. It seemed to work fine. :-)