www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old October 9th, 2019, 04:45   #301
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/46, usually 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Correct, buyback NMS manual cars cannot be re-sold. Sad. But if owners kept them they can re-sell them.
My brother and his wife had a 6-speed manual Passat TDI. They really liked it, but since Volkswagen couldn’t fix it they’re now in a maxed out dealer model. They’re happy enough with it, but like me their next car will be a Tesla. ICE engines are so yesterday.
'05 5sp Golf GLS TDI - Rocket Chipped to 1.5, NB hoop style headrests, Mud Flaps, Euro style sideview mirrors (They're blind spotless!), and Koni FSD's (Talk about smoothing the bumps AND tightening the curves!!!)
Don't know how to use the search function? Click Here!

Last edited by BeetleGo; October 9th, 2019 at 04:54.
BeetleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 10:17   #302
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI2000Zim View Post
So, is VW ever bringing back any diesel cars to Amerika?
No one has any idea. It would seem logical to say no, never, but if fuel prices go through the roof, if emissions regs relax, if new regs on gasoline cars make them less competitive...there are any number of scenarios that might compel VW to bring them back. But most likely not before they do their penance by making a bunch of electric cars.
Old October 9th, 2019, 11:47   #303
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

We won't see new VW diesels as long as there is still a large stock of fixed diesels on the used market.
Old October 9th, 2019, 12:10   #304
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
We won't see new VW diesels as long as there is still a large stock of fixed diesels on the used market.
And that may be part of why they are in no rush to bring any new ones here.

But there is no reason that they "can't". They will just be subjected to a little more thorough testing than before, same as everyone else is now.
Old October 9th, 2019, 12:11   #305
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleGo View Post
ICE engines are so yesterday.
For some applications. I drove my Wagon 2600 miles over the past 5 days. Would have taken me 50% longer in a Tesla. When electrics have a 1200 mile range so you don't have to charge during the day on a road trip, then I'd consider one.
Old October 9th, 2019, 12:48   #306
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

I have said it before, and I maybe wrong, but I quoted an off the record statement from corporate source that part of VW settlement with Feds was they would not bring any more diesels to US.

But then I think current emissions limits and added cost/loss of MPG in diesel cars means there isn't a good business case for TDI cars right now. Add in the big push to electric and the high MPG of newer gas cars and I just don't see VW bringing any TDI cars over.

JAson
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 18:06   #307
IXLR8
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
For some applications. I drove my Wagon 2600 miles over the past 5 days. Would have taken me 50% longer in a Tesla. When electrics have a 1200 mile range so you don't have to charge during the day on a road trip, then I'd consider one.
If you have to stop on your road trip to 'refuel' an electric car, how long does that take? Or is that why you said it would take 50% longer?
IXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 18:10   #308
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Yes. I've planned that trip with a Tesla on their app. It's an 18 hour drive end to end, and the Tesla would need 6-7 hours charging time. Assuming it's not too hot or cold. Much more in winter. If I drive it straight through in my Wagon I have to fill once, usually around Cleveland on the way out, or in PA on the way back. 15 min tops.
Old October 9th, 2019, 21:28   #309
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetleGo View Post
My brother and his wife had a 6-speed manual Passat TDI. They really liked it, but since Volkswagen couldn’t fix it they’re now in a maxed out dealer model. They’re happy enough with it, but like me their next car will be a Tesla. ICE engines are so yesterday.
ICE engines, and specially gasoline ICE engines, will be hard to get rid of at current fuel prices in the US.

United States has probably one of the least expensive costs of hydrocarbon fuels in the industrialized world.

Last edited by tikal; October 9th, 2019 at 21:47.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 21:46   #310
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
I have said it before, and I maybe wrong, but I quoted an off the record statement from corporate source that part of VW settlement with Feds was they would not bring any more diesels to US.

But then I think current emissions limits and added cost/loss of MPG in diesel cars means there isn't a good business case for TDI cars right now. Add in the big push to electric and the high MPG of newer gas cars and I just don't see VW bringing any TDI cars over.

JAson
1) On the average, what is the premium (in %) to pay for a light duty diesel vehicle vs the similar gasoline powered counterpart?
2) On the average, what is the premium (in %) to pay for a hybrid gasoline vehicle vs the similar gasoline powered counterpart?
3) On the average, what is the premium (in %) to pay for a electrical vehicle vs the similar gasoline powered counterpart?

Based on the above, and considering the current price of gasoline in the US would you see any substantial growth in the "USA EV sales up to 2.5% of total market" (source 55) or light duty diesel for that matter?
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2019, 05:02   #311
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/46, usually 41

ICE engines will be around for a while longer. No doubt! But range and how you charge them will change the automotive landscape very quickly. It already has! But wait until the induction charging means cordless auto charging every time you come home, and Maxwell batteries extend range even into TDI territory.

Existing ICE engines don’t count. They’re already out there, but moving forward ICE engines are beginning to look like horse drawn buggies.
'05 5sp Golf GLS TDI - Rocket Chipped to 1.5, NB hoop style headrests, Mud Flaps, Euro style sideview mirrors (They're blind spotless!), and Koni FSD's (Talk about smoothing the bumps AND tightening the curves!!!)
Don't know how to use the search function? Click Here!

Last edited by BeetleGo; October 10th, 2019 at 05:07.
BeetleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2019, 07:07   #312
kjclow
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
1) On the average, what is the premium (in %) to pay for a light duty diesel vehicle vs the similar gasoline powered counterpart?
2) On the average, what is the premium (in %) to pay for a hybrid gasoline vehicle vs the similar gasoline powered counterpart?
3) On the average, what is the premium (in %) to pay for a electrical vehicle vs the similar gasoline powered counterpart?

Based on the above, and considering the current price of gasoline in the US would you see any substantial growth in the "USA EV sales up to 2.5% of total market" (source 55) or light duty diesel for that matter?
Based on what's in my driveway or things that we are talking about:
Upcharge for diesel over gas on my Ram was around 11%.
Upcharge for hybrid for a RAv4 is around 9% and 18% for the Highlander. Those may not make it to my driveway if my wife retires at the end of this school year. She won't need an economical commuter anymore and can use the JSW until the wheels fall off.
Old October 13th, 2019, 02:31   #313
jerrymander
Veteran Member

ICE engines aren't "going anywhere" until electrics can replace turbines.
Old Yesterday, 06:48   #314
kjclow
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymander View Post
I saw where the FFA will be assisting in testing an all electric small aircraft for commercial travel this week. Looks like it's probably in the range of a 6-8 seater. Something like 12 motors though. Can't find the link right now, but I'll keep digging.
Old Yesterday, 08:36   #315
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymander View Post
In airplanes? They don't use ICE, as we know them, now. They are more accurately continuous combustion engines.

As far as electric replacing turbines - most turbo fans mainly produce thrust from then large fan blade run by the jet engine, not the thrust from the engine itself. Replace the engine with a electric motor.

Bigger issue is energy storage to power the motor. Fuel cells, batteries, ??? But there have been advancements that allow couple hour flights most recently in personal/commuter jet size craft.

I think they are close to something viable, but the next hurdle is fleet turn over and cost of turn over.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote