www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old September 27th, 2019, 08:59   #166
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

No recommendations, but I believe you can slow prime that thing just using the in tank pump. Maybe hook up a battery charger and don't overheat the starter.

See what others have done-

VW TDI Search Engine
BobnOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 09:14   #167
Tom Rose

Thanks Bob, but reviewing all the "HOW TO" videos many say I can do damage to the fuel pump w/o priming. I've read where some pour fresh diesel in the canister, install new filter, & claim they're good to go, but ?
Tom Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 10:00   #168
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Yes, research, it can damage, guessing maybe you don't use the starter or disable starting?
BobnOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 11:25   #169
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Rose View Post
can anyone recommend a scanner that will power up the fuel pump when I change my fuel filter ? (2011 JSW TDI) I don't own a laptop at this time. Looked on Amazon & saw some, not sure if / which to buy. Thanks guys, my money is a little tight right now

Any VW specific scanner that can do "basic settings" will work. Search for this term in the description. VCDS is, undoubtedly, the best, but it's not cheap. I know that ODBeleven can do it but it requires an Android device. I'm sure that there are also others, but I am not really familiar with them.

Have Fun!

Don
Old September 27th, 2019, 12:05   #170
Tom Rose

Thanks Don !!!!!1
Tom Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 20:44   #171
jef@rosstech
Associate Ross-Tech Vendor
w/Business number

We have kits starting at $199, just add a Win7 or newer laptop. The software isn't locked down to a computer, so one could barrow a friend's laptop if needed.

And the laptop doesn't have to be a power house. If you've seen any of the poorly produced Ross-Tech videos, I'm using a sub $300 Asus netbook to run VCDS on and screen capture. Here is a relevant example of a sub standard video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZYJjMNfQ-I

Bonus points if you find the cat judging you.

What should you do first with VCDS? AUTOSCAN!
jef@rosstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2019, 07:59   #172
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2019 to end of April 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Rose View Post
can anyone recommend a scanner that will power up the fuel pump when I change my fuel filter ? (2011 JSW TDI) I don't own a laptop at this time. Looked on Amazon & saw some, not sure if / which to buy. Thanks guys, my money is a little tight right now

Nothing required other than when you have dropped the new filter into place use either Diesel, PowerService or any other diesel fuel additive you have on hand to fill the housing to the brim. Then close it up and restart your engine.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2019, 09:46   #173
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Here is a Youtube link for a fuel filter change, easy peasy !

I have a plastic shopping bag handy to drop the used filter into after it has drained most of the Diesel off.
I have not found it necessary to use a VCDS or prime with the fuel pump since before closing the filter I add and fill the filter housing with either PowerService, Diesel or any other Diesel fuel additive I have handy.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.

Last edited by Jetta_Pilot; September 30th, 2019 at 10:02.
Old October 1st, 2019, 12:33   #174
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Filter change
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kbIAwF2uvA

Just changed my fuel filter today from a "MANN" to something else. What a PIA to remove the MANN filter. There is a ridge around the bottom of the filter which made it very difficult to remove.
My replacement does not have that.

I filled the housing including the center of the filter with PS.
Closed it up and with my KESSY just turned on the ignition for 30 seconds before I started the engine. Not even a sputter, started right up.
Old October 9th, 2019, 07:00   #175
JD_2012GolfTDI

TDI(s): 2012 Golf
Fuel Economy: 36

I just started using the Ross-Tech VCDS and performed my first fuel filter change and fuel system priming after. I also updated a bunch of my golf's convenience features and started data logging to understand normal conditions and ranges.

There was a recent ross-tech update everyone who uses it to data log would be very interested in (19.6.2). There is now a pop up window where you can checkbox and select the parameters you want to keep tabs on, and your able to select up to 12. Someone else with more experience may have already documented this update, by I haven't found it yet. Anyway, check it out!

Last edited by JD_2012GolfTDI; October 9th, 2019 at 07:19.
JD_2012GolfTDI is offline   Reply With Quote