www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Forum and Web Page Info > TDIClub and TDIClub Forum News, Issues, Problems and Suggestions

TDIClub and TDIClub Forum News, Issues, Problems and Suggestions This is the place for updates on the website and forums. This is also the spot for forum questions, comments, ideas, gripes, requests, etc. This forum is NOT for posting problems about your car. Non-topic posts will be moved or removed.

Old September 26th, 2019, 07:27   #1
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

Default High-severity vulnerability in vBulletin is being actively exploited

https://arstechnica.com/information-...vbulletin-bug/

The patch for this was released only yesterday. What is the status of TDI Club's software?

This should be of concern to anyone who has any personal information on the site. Apparently hackers can take control of the server with a known exploit.
Old September 26th, 2019, 10:06   #2
B3achbum
Veteran Member

Default 2nd that

Thanks for posting, I just read same article...
Hope admins/hosting catch on quickly!!!
B3achbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2019, 13:13   #3
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

I sent PM to Fred also.
Old September 27th, 2019, 05:38   #4
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

Especially since this site is running a very old version of Vbulletin that it would be quite vulnerable I would think.
Old September 27th, 2019, 06:38   #5
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

If the article is accurate, the bug may only affect vBulletin 5.0+?

Considering TDIClub's on the 3.8 branch - which is quite outdated and insecure - it may not be vulnerable to this specific vulnerability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton Sinclair
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 09:55   #6
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
.....................snip.........................
Considering TDIClub's on the 3.8 branch - which is quite outdated and insecure - it may not be ..........snip...........
LOL Now you're just trying to scare us.
So I guess best practice is to not share any info you don't want seen by anyone, good practice for any social media.
BobnOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2019, 06:06   #7
sjjubb1989

TDI(s): None

I work in cybersecurity now and have experience in managing servers, patching, etc.

I'd be more than happy to purchase the license to upgrade these forums to the latest version of vBulletin (Approx $210US to an upgrade license) if the owner was willing to put the time in to update it.

https://www.vbulletin.com/en/features/

I haven't been an active member here for a long time, I logged in for the first time in nearly 10 years but have been a frequent reader of these forums.

I'd volunteer my services, etc, however if this were my forum I wouldn't trust a random person on the internet to manage my site & servers.

It'd be a shame to see this site go away or get hacked, it is a wealth of information that would be missed.

Edit: Also is this hosted via a web hosting company or in a cloud environment? Other things that should be looked at is the current version of Apache and PHP, as well as any plugins.

Last edited by sjjubb1989; October 4th, 2019 at 06:19.
sjjubb1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2019, 12:47   #8
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjjubb1989 View Post
I work in cybersecurity now and have experience in managing servers, patching, etc.

I'd be more than happy to purchase the license to upgrade these forums to the latest version of vBulletin (Approx $210US to an upgrade license) if the owner was willing to put the time in to update it.

https://www.vbulletin.com/en/features/

I haven't been an active member here for a long time, I logged in for the first time in nearly 10 years but have been a frequent reader of these forums.

I'd volunteer my services, etc, however if this were my forum I wouldn't trust a random person on the internet to manage my site & servers.

It'd be a shame to see this site go away or get hacked, it is a wealth of information that would be missed.

Edit: Also is this hosted via a web hosting company or in a cloud environment? Other things that should be looked at is the current version of Apache and PHP, as well as any plugins.
Contact Fred, or a moderator (listed at the bottom when they're here) or wait until they see this. They're pretty laid back, wonderful forum. Guessing it's web hosted on their machine.
BobnOH is online now   Reply With Quote