2000 vw jetta tdi power steering leak

cabloom44

TDI
2000 Jetta
My car has 255,000 and hasn't had any significant leaks recently. Last week while driving it the power steering pump started squealing and grinding. I checked the reservoir and it was very low on oil and it trashed the pump. I replaced the power steering pump and noticed a big leak on the drivers side tie rod/ steering rack boot. Apparently when this all of the sudden started to leak, that is what caused the low fluid and pump failure. So my question is, can the steering rack be resealed or do I need a whole new rack? Thanks in advance.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Whole new rack is the usual choice, however rock auto does sell a Gates kit to reseal an MK 4 rack. If you want to give it a go. No one has done it and done a write up...yet. At least not that I've seen.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
reason being, rods lose the chrome which causes the leak in the first place. new seals would leak in a short time.

cabloom44

TDI
2000 Jetta
I am looking at new steering racks on rock auto and some are listed as having variable ratio steering. How do i know whether my car has variable ratio steering or not? Thanks

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Good question. I don't believe you have variable steering, I think that was for 2006 and newer. However looking at the selection of steering racks even the ones that say variable steering look the same as the ones without. It wouldn't be the first time I saw something on Rockauto that looks like it was listed with an error.

The variable assist has electronics integrated into it. Up to 05 it was just plain old hydraulic rack and pinion.