Taillight Out

ASP

TDI
2003 Jetta
Hi, I have a 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, with, can you believe it, 500 000km on it, a few rust spots and a dead turbo. But those aren't the issue now. My passenger side taillight is out. Not just the bulb, the entire rear passenger lighting is out, so I went to the local vw dealer and bought a bulb holder. However I cannot remove the plug. So I was wondering if anyone had a) any tips on removing it, b) a recommendation as to where I can buy the plug so I can cut the original out and splice a new one to go with the new bulb holder.
I tried the lights on the passenger side with the driver side one and they work, so it is the bulb holder that needed replacing.

Thanks!

mkfour

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Having the same issue here. Tried to remove the driver side one and swap it from the passenger side one to see if it's really the bulb holder tray but couldn't get it out. Anyone else have any luck?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
To remove the bulb holder you have to squeeze the two side clamps and then wiggle it out. I don't recall having any difficulty with the harness if that is what the OP is referring to. The driver's side is a little tricky due to the amplifier IIRC, or was it the CD changer. I had mine out about five years ago when I swapped the OEM bulbs to LED's.