Key won't shut car off?

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 A3 TDI 5spd, 86 w/TDI 02A in prog.
I have a 98 TDI jetta and the car fires up great but shortly after the glow plug light comes on and blinks then the check engine light. Runs in limp mode and when i go to turn it off the key shuts off power to everything but the engine. It keeps running and i have to pull the fuel shut off solenoid connector to kill the engine?

Any ideas? I have traced wires and not having any luck.

Also the car will not communicate with my laptop.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Check the wiring loom in the engine bay. There may be a bit where it's been rubbing against something and mangled a few wires. Worth a look just in case. Also worth making sure the ecu is nice and dry. If it is, just open it up and let it dry thoroughly then reseal it with some silicone sealant or similar. I suspect it's something like this if it wont even let your comp communicate.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
then the check engine light.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. The best is someone with the proper VW tool, but some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here. The problem is those readers can't read all the possible VW codes, but they are a good place to start.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
then the check engine light.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. The best is someone with the proper VW tool, but some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here. The problem is those readers can't read all the possible VW codes, but they are a good place to start.
Joe, I think he has vcds from his statement that his obd2 port will not connect with his computer (and from the series of cars in his signature and under his name where he is doing a 1z into a 1986. The problem, like many other request for help on this forum, is the complete lack of basic information requiring someone trying to help to guess and play 20 questions. It would be very helpful if he listed the vehicle information, mods, recent work if any, when the onset of the problem occurred, etc..

If I had to guess (in addition to guessing he already has vcds from the vaguries of his OP), I would guess he is running an aftermarket radio which can cause problems; that he probably needs a new ignition switch and that he should pull the center console and check the wiring to the obd2 port. But again, hard to tell based on the little information provided by the OP .......

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
02 & 03 Jetta TDI,99 Beetle TDI, 04 Chevy Duramax 2500HD 4x4
I had the same thing and found the reverse lights wires were shorted to something else in the engine bay (never did figure it out). My alternator light wouldn't go out until 1800 RPM and my reverse lights had two intensiities. WHen I repaired the wires, everything returned to normal.

You'll have to chase down the symptoms and look at those wires.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=287642
This is my thread showing the shorted wires.

Last edited:

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
Well i posted in the fist post its a 98 Jetta TDI 5spd.

has 95,xxx miles

I have rebuilt engine after i bought it with a damaged head.
replaced:
the 109 relay
Ign switch
glow plug relay
all new glow plugs
checked allother fuses and relays
found out check engine light was burnt out so i replaced it
etc

Bought Bently manual and have spent all hrs looking at wiring diagrams

Took it to autozone they were able to pull codes. I didn't get all the numbers cause autozone staff is something to be desired. I was mainly concered with the fact that the scanner was able to connect.

It seems my Vag-com software/cable have an issue.

Found out the alt is back feeding and causing the run on prob. If the 2 wire connector is unplugged it starts and shuts off as it should. Alt charges after i rev it to excite it.

Checked K-wire for radio it has an aftermarket and the diag wire is not connected to the radio. It checks out fine. But i have the radio un plugged and pulled out of dash along with the data connector an all the center dash. Have had the cluster out too.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=294633
I started a thread earlier explained everything listed all my new parts and all the details. Two people replied. So here i wrote very little. KISS Keep It Simple Stupid. I got more responses and feeback.

As i work out in the garage on the wknds the only free time i have its hard to spend lots of time writing long post with every tiny detail. I asked a simple question and go from there.

Sorry to waste your time with my lack of minor details. Thanks to others for their ideas and suggestions.

I will look into the shorted wires with reverse lights as the wires from the alt have some sheathing torn and enter the harness riht where the reverse light switch does.

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
The run on problem was my fault. Hooked up connectors wrong.

Vag-Com problem was my buddy's computer/Vag-Com setup. I now have my own vag-com setup and it works great.

Now just minor tuning probs and glow plugs that don't work unless very cold or ECT sensor is unhooked.