www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old August 13th, 2012, 14:55   #16
csandGOLF

Fuel Economy: ~40 MPG

As far as I can tell, VW has not eliminated the intercooler icing problem on the 2012 Jettas, Golfs and Sportwagens. The Passat has a different intercooler design that does not have this issue. I drive a 2011 Golf TDI and did run into intercooler icing problems last winter. Like a previous poster mentioned, mine apparently ingested some water upon startup and scared me half to death on two occasions (extremely rough running, loss of power.) Despite my telling my VW dealer about this, they would do nothing. It wasn't until my 10,000 mile service that they found water "on both sides of the intercooler" and decided my car should get the cold weather intercooler kit. It wasn't for another 4 months (!) that they were able to get the appropriate parts from VW and install the kit on my car. I'm hoping that this issue will not resurface this winter now that I finally have the kit installed. Otherwise, no issues.
csandGOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 15:25   #17
Conrad -JSW
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 JSW DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwman2 View Post
are there people out there that have not had iceing issues in the winter? we have a 2010 TDi Golf that will be our first winter with. She has 95k on her now.
I bought my JSW just before Christmas last year and we've had zero problems with it, well, other than the noisy sunroof that is.
Conrad -JSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 15:45   #18
NewLyme
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45.5 mpg City/Hwy Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiSkater View Post
Who you gonna ask? The same people (company) who told me my DSG was lifetime fill? Or the service people who told me that 507 oil is a VW money making gimmick and 505 oil is equal in protection and no issue to DPF. Or the service manager who told me that HPFP failures are due to biodiesel use in America. Oh and they told me intercooler problems were an internet myth.
Yes. I am a man in search of a new dealer
This would be funny if it wasn't true. But it is true and it's still funny! I don't know who to ask any more. I've been told "we can't do anything until we see it, and your car has the updated intercooler you don't need the kit." It's too bad the car didn't cost me $25 instead of $25,000. I still like it and hope it treats me well. (Was that the kiss of Death, hope not)
NewLyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 20:01   #19
DEM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLyme View Post
I've been told "we can't do anything until we see it
That's the part that I don't understand (and I was told the same by VW Canada). The cars are all the same by design, so why do they have to see you stuck before they will admit that your car has the same problem as all other cars?
DEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 21:15   #20
Cogen Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than the Toyota FJCruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEM View Post
That's the part that I don't understand (and I was told the same by VW Canada). The cars are all the same by design, so why do they have to see you stuck before they will admit that your car has the same problem as all other cars?
Same was relayed to me by my dealership. I must have a no start condition before they will even consider the kit.
Old August 13th, 2012, 21:25   #21
TDiSkater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 Winter/41 Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLyme View Post
This would be funny if it wasn't true. But it is true and it's still funny! I don't know who to ask any more. I've been told "we can't do anything until we see it, and your car has the updated intercooler you don't need the kit." It's too bad the car didn't cost me $25 instead of $25,000. I still like it and hope it treats me well. (Was that the kiss of Death, hope not)
Oh, my absolute favorite. My steering wheel is slightly off to the right, but car tracks straight. "you should just live with it. If we start messing with it, probably only make it worse." It was such a great answer I couldn't argue with it. I'm trying a new dealer next week for my 30k. I hope I'm not so entertained this time. I might even try the steering wheel repair request again and see if the keep a new customer tactic works.

VW-OEM European Steel Skidplate | 35% LLumar Tint all around | Pano Sunroof | ScanGauge II | WeatherTech Weatherflectors and Digital Fit Floorliners l Faux TDI Mirror Etching l RGM Bumper Guard | Conti PureContact | Non-OEM Aspherical Mirrors - $3 Blind Spot Mirror | 70,000 miles |

Last edited by TDiSkater; August 13th, 2012 at 21:28.
TDiSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 20:02   #22
Lspeed1983

Fuel Economy: 39.9

The dealer told me the 2012s had the new kits...................come to think about it, my Navy recruiter told me lies to.

All about geting you to sign your life away.
Lspeed1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 19:24   #23
Paulsevans

TDI(s): 2013 golf
Default 2013 Golf frozen intercooler

Well, I just fell victim to the freezing intercooler issue on my new golf. Car lost power on the interstate requiring tow. Dealer will install the cold kit. Question

Will this fix the car?
How does the new intercooler work?
Will this kit ruin my fuel Economy or power?

I am located in NE Ohio.
Paulsevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 19:40   #24
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulsevans View Post
Well, I just fell victim to the freezing intercooler issue on my new golf. Car lost power on the interstate requiring tow. Dealer will install the cold kit. Question

Will this fix the car?
How does the new intercooler work?
Will this kit ruin my fuel Economy or power?

I am located in NE Ohio.
Not for sure - many people are still experiencing problems with the kit.

There is detailed information about the kit and how it works in the first post of this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=302863

My understanding of the new intercooler's operation is there is a vacuum actuated (based on intake air temperature) flap valve that either allows air to go through the entire intercooler (normal mode) or only through a small portion of the intercooler (cold weather operation). The idea being that the smaller portion will not allow water to condense within the intercooler as easily as the entire thing due to less cooling efficiency.

Your fuel economy should be unaffected, but at least one person has reported lower numbers after the kit was installed.

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; November 25th, 2013 at 19:50.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 08:59   #25
drshaws
Veteran Member

I am having the new intercooler kit installed, hopefully tomorrow. Looks like even though we have a 2014 JSW (~29K miles), this issue persists. Bah.
Old January 7th, 2016, 10:25   #26
DerekG
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Towing:26-32.6 City:34-38 Hwy:45-54.2

Mine iced up twice and had to be towed....the first time they installed the revised kit. The second time was a year later and they just drained the water and called it good.

I have since done a dpf/egr delete and stg2 tune....I guess I'll find out this winter if it still freezes up, but I'm also running a lower grille block this year.
Old January 13th, 2016, 10:46   #27
woodenboatman19

Fuel Economy: 2010..mid 40s
Default Jetta 2010 TDI 125,000 miles. 6sp Manual.

Had the new intercooler kit installed last winter (2014). $1300. VW paid $950 of it after "serious" negotiation due to mileage....better than zero I guess.

Car's been fine with the kit all summer. No change in mileage or performance. Slightly more intake noise. No big deal.

(1-13-2016) Was 12F this morning in Northern Michigan. 23 mile commute to work and she started to do the freeze up again. Bucking under acceleration. Idles OK. Today have her parked inside a heated building so I can get her home. Will call dealer to drain the charge air pipe Friday.

Between this and the damned EPA's emissions debacle, I'm about ready to give up on diesel. Its too bad too. My 02 TDI (5 sp) went 250,000 trouble-free miles. Normal maintenance and a clutch at 165k. Should have kept that car.
woodenboatman19 is offline   Reply With Quote