Why Ford's 65 mpg diesel won't join the VW TDI in the U.S.

Oil_Burner

Veteran Member
"We just don't think North and South America would buy that many diesel cars," says Fields. "

You dont think people would buy a car/cars that get 65+ MPG? That attitude, that idiocy is going to doom your company Mr..

VWannabe

Veteran Member
What kills me is that both Ford and GM have some really good small diesels in Europe. Ford, in partnership with PSA, and GM with Fiat have terrific little diesel cars that would be perfect here. I know that emissions and safety standards are somewhat different, but the emissions issue is converging pretty quickly with Euro 6 coming up in a few years. And both companies are competitive in the Euro market. What is so different about the American market other than fuel prices? I will never understand their attitudes and they will continue to lose customers and market share to more savvy companies. It is a shame.

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
TDI
'18 Kona EV, ex '03 Golf TDI, '82 Rabbit Diesel
That quote should really be placed in the correct context:
Ford plans to make a gas-powered version of the Fiesta in Mexico for the U.S. So why not manufacture diesel engines there, too? Building a plant would cost at least $350 million at a time when Ford has been burning through more than $1 billion a month in cash reserves. Besides, the automaker would have to produce at least 350,000 engines a year to make such a venture profitable. "We just don't think North and South America would buy that many diesel cars," says Fields.
I understand their skepticism, and it's their business to justify the economics. Many of those clever little diesel cars can be bought here in New Zealand, where people are resigned to paying twice as much for a new car compared to NA, and fuel is more expensive - but they still don't go flying off the shelves.

Part of the problem is that there are just as many otherwise-equivalent gasoline-powered cars available which cost a lot less.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Perhaps GM & Ford don't have anything to worry about....it's not like you can just stroll over to a VW dealer in the Midwest and pick out the color you want on a new VW TDI!

Heck I've had $ down at 2 dealerships for a TDI sportwagen since Jan of 2008 and my odds of getting one from them this year seem non-existent!

CentralFloridaTDIguy

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
why is Europe allowed diesels?

Oil_Burner said:
"We just don't think North and South America would buy that many diesel cars," says Fields. "

You dont think people would buy a car/cars that get 65+ MPG? That attitude, that idiocy is going to doom your company Mr..
I agree with Oil_Burner.... and now the "Big 3" are begging the US Congress for $25 Billion in loan guarantees to re-tool their plants... and if they don't use it for diesel engines, they are stupid and should be allowed to go bankrupt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
I don't know. But one thing is certain: you should never underestimate the stupidity of the typical American driver. As you may know, there is a gasoline shortage in the Southeastern US right now. One of the sitters we need for my father in law couldn't come to work a couple of days ago because she could not find any fuel. On the other hand, when we were fueling at one of the few stations with anything to sell, I overheard an idiot in an SUV talking about just coming back home from a 250 mile round trip to watch the University of Georgia football team get its ass kicked by the U of Alabama. Not enough fuel to get necessary workers going, but plenty to watch a football game in person when it was on TV.

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
mavapa said:
I don't know. But one thing is certain: you should never underestimate the stupidity of the typical American driver. As you may know, there is a gasoline shortage in the Southeastern US right now. One of the sitters we need for my father in law couldn't come to work a couple of days ago because she could not find any fuel. On the other hand, when we were fueling at one of the few stations with anything to sell, I overheard an idiot in an SUV talking about just coming back home from a 250 mile round trip to watch the University of Georgia football team get its ass kicked by the U of Alabama. Not enough fuel to get necessary workers going, but plenty to watch a football game in person when it was on TV.
Get no argument from me there. There are morons around here already stockpiling gas for their next outing, "so someone else doesn't get it." Some of these folks are stocking gas for a Clemson away game in two weeks.

Creeps. Makes me glad I don't burn gas.