electric fan starting temps?

u1859

TDI
06' jetta brm
I just completed a winter front for my 06 jetta since I have not found one available. No shortage of heat now!! In 30 degree weather engine temps will run around 200-204F with the occasional jump to around 208 on larger hills(Interstate.) My question is at what temps do the electric fans start to operate? Running the fans with a cover would be kind of anti-productive and I will make modifications to the cover to possibly get it to hold right at the threshold.

2006 brm 5 speed

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Assuming the Fans are operable and the Thermo Switch is operable, they will respond to the temp of the coolant per design. I think that's what anyone would want them to do.

When the Thermostat opens and dumps hot coolant it's doing what it is suppose to do (typically begins to open at 185f and fully open at 221f). When that hot coolant makes it to the Thermo Switch in the RAD, it will in turn, do it's thing and turn the fans ON.

However, I'm not sure the BRM engine has the Thermo Switch. Somewhere along the way, VW went to a relay system that uses the Coolant Temp Sensor(s). My Bentley only goes through 2005. I know that a 2008 VW EOS 1.8T gasser uses two CTS as sources of info for the coolant fans. Oh, and with both systems, the fans have two speeds.

Anyway, my point is, your engine's systems will respond to the circumstances. If the coolant warms to the parameters of the cooling system sensors, it's going to kick-in!

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
As a data point, my rad fans come on when the coolant reaches 98C (208F) and then switch back off when the coolant drops to 93C (199F)

u1859

TDI
06' jetta brm
Thanks. Seems logical as this is as warm as the car has gotten on warmer mornings with the new cold front. Seems I am right at the line. Think I will give it a pirate patch over the "VW" that I can install/remove quickly and easily. Runs perfect at 195-200 when air temps are around 0-10 degrees.