Coolant Loss, Stranded in LA

golffriend

TDI
Golf mk4 variant
And what about coolant pump efficiency? If pump is bad, engine overheats. If pump is circulating, coolant should return to expansion tank vith stream. Worth to check pump at shop. Is pump changed with timing belt, are they new (no more 4 years)?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You most likely have a dead large cooling fan. They should both be running if the engine is hot, or if the A/C is on. If the small one only is running then you've got a bad fan.
But that's not your problem, or at least not your only problem. As posted above, TDIs don't make a lot of heat, and even in traffic in LA you shouldn't overheat because of a failed fan. At this point you probably have multiple issues, in part from continuing to drive the car. In order my best guesses (and they are guesses) are:
  • Failed water pump (impeller isn't spinning, so coolant isn't circulating)
  • Leaking head gasket (may not have been the initial issue, but it probably is now)

Failed gaskets I've experienced don't result in coolant in the sump or steam coming out of the exhaust. And the failure has to be pretty severe to get bubbling in the coolant bottle. Run your finger around the inside of the coolant bottle. If it accumulates soot, that's a sign of a failed gasket.

If you're going to replace the water pump I'd probably replace the thermostat at the same time, but it's unlikely to be a cause of your overheating. TDI thermostats almost always stick open.

You really should stop driving the car. The constant high heat cycles aren't good for it. At this point I suspect you need to pull the head, have it planed, replace the gasket, replace the water pump, timing belt system (as long as you're there) and thermostat. I doubt you have a rust in coolant issue. And use G13 coolant.

Good luck. If you know of Matt Phalen in the Bay Area he'd be my first choice for repairs. There really isn't, to the best of my knowledge, a good active TDI guru in the LA Basin. At this point I'd probably be reluctant to drive the car back north.

Good luck!

golffriend

TDI
Golf mk4 variant
I can agree allso, both of mine TDI fans are not working at low speed because of blown internal fan wire resistors and no problems with engine themperature at all! Hi speed works for short only when AC pressure rises... So, I would be checking catalytic converter for plugging. And worth to try disconnect and plugg EGR valve vacuum line if EGR is open constantly (bad solenoid valve?). This in any case helps engine stay cooler. Simply You can block this vac line temporarily with 5 or 6 mm roller (can not remember) from old bearing or so.