Tdi Ranger

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
Heh, I hear ya man. In all honesty I don`t wanna sell it, its makin me 500-600 bucks a month in fuel savings. So I have already paid for the truck over the last year and a half. But I want to build another one real bad and this time keep track of everything major that is needed to do it. Then perhaps come up with some kind of a kit for everyone to do it and save themselves the money on the front end as well as the fuel savings

joemac

TDI
none yet
Bump for an old thread

What did you end up doing with the truck? I am trying to plan out a swap for my '93. I am between the 1.9l vw tdi and the 2.7l mercedes out of a sprinter van. Each has it's pro's and con's. I was leaning towards the 2.7l but the electronics will be much more difficult but it has more power potential I believe. The vw will be an easier swap all around and lighter but can't make as much power. Are these 1.9l motors 4v per cylinder?

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
joemac said:
Bump for an old thread

What did you end up doing with the truck? I am trying to plan out a swap for my '93. I am between the 1.9l vw tdi and the 2.7l mercedes out of a sprinter van. Each has it's pro's and con's. I was leaning towards the 2.7l but the electronics will be much more difficult but it has more power potential I believe. The vw will be an easier swap all around and lighter but can't make as much power. Are these 1.9l motors 4v per cylinder?
No the 1.9 is a 2 valve. Go with the 2.7, the electronics can be overcome and it's a much better engine.

You can chip the 2.7 and get 180hp which would require quite a bit more parts for the 1.9 to get to that horsepower level.

joemac

TDI
none yet
Scott_DeWitt said:
No the 1.9 is a 2 valve. Go with the 2.7, the electronics can be overcome and it's a much better engine.

You can chip the 2.7 and get 180hp which would require quite a bit more parts for the 1.9 to get to that horsepower level.
That's the way I have been leaning until a guy told me a tdi could make 175 hp with sticks, turbo and tune. I have done plenty of research on the mb engine and the hardest part will be the computer as it controls everything abs, automatic trans and engine. I only want it to do the engine and that's it. I actually found a stand alone common rail computer system that I am looking into. If it turns out it will run the mb engine I really think I will be going that route.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
joemac said:
That's the way I have been leaning until a guy told me a tdi could make 175 hp with sticks, turbo and tune. I have done plenty of research on the mb engine and the hardest part will be the computer as it controls everything abs, automatic trans and engine.
The sprinter ECM controls only the engine, however there is communication between the ABS, auto trans etc that a good chip tuner can remove.

With a $350.00 chip you can have 185 hp on the 2.7 MB engine. The TDI would require injectors, chip and turbo at probably 10X the cost. Plus the sprinter engine has the capability of 300hp+ without internal engine mods.

joemac

TDI
none yet
Scott_DeWitt said:
The sprinter ECM controls only the engine, however there is communication between the ABS, auto trans etc that a good chip tuner can remove.

With a $350.00 chip you can have 185 hp on the 2.7 MB engine. The TDI would require injectors, chip and turbo at probably 10X the cost. Plus the sprinter engine has the capability of 300hp+ without internal engine mods.
From what I hear those "good chip tuner's" are hard to find. I emailed a guy who put one in a '04 f150 I think it was and he couldn't find anyone to cut his chip the way he wanted. He was having trouble with the wheel speed input to the computer as he was not using the wheel sensors and was trying to use an input from a sensor he mounted to the driveshaft which he said was closer to the stock mb signal the computer was looking for.

Do you know how much the mb engine weighs, I'm having a hell of a time trying to find a weight?

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Nice thread here. I just read your other carnage thread... :( Sorry about that man. I just wanted to know what you decided to do with the truck. While it's apart, woudl you care to give us some dimensions on your adapter plate? I'd really love to do this.

83stang

TDI
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel
Ya i'm really looking into this. What my plan is to use the ranger clutch disc and sandwich between the TDI flywheel and pressure plate. Then make the adapter plate. Just looking for the right donor car and truck to put it all together.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Ya i'm really looking into this. What my plan is to use the ranger clutch disc and sandwich between the TDI flywheel and pressure plate. Then make the adapter plate. Just looking for the right donor car and truck to put it all together.
keep in mind if you do this you'll have to use a rear facing VW starter as the VW ring gear faces opposite the ranger flywheel...you also may encounter interference between the starter and the transmission case and you'll definitely be modifying your ranger bell housing...don't ask me how I know:rolleyes:

83stang

TDI
Well the way i was going to deal with the rear facing starter was to make a new starter hole and mount on the plate instead of the using the bellhousing. Does anybody have a drawing of a ranger bellhousing pattern? I'm trying to put together a 3D mock up drawing. Also on lone ranger's site he said the ranger starter has the same number of teeth as the VW flywheel (132).

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Well the way i was going to deal with the rear facing starter was to make a new starter hole and mount on the plate instead of the using the bellhousing. Does anybody have a drawing of a ranger bellhousing pattern? I'm trying to put together a 3D mock up drawing. Also on lone ranger's site he said the ranger starter has the same number of teeth as the VW flywheel (132).
this is how I was going to do my tacoma....along the same lines but the starter would not clear the W series trans without serious modification ....yours however may ....

83stang

TDI
Ahhh I see your point about the clearance. I think my beast bet is too buy the TDI and a tranny for mock up. Try to make it work and if it doesn't I'll just sell the parts. How does the starter on the toyota adapter plate mount? On the back or the front?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Ahhh I see your point about the clearance. I think my beast bet is too buy the TDI and a tranny for mock up. Try to make it work and if it doesn't I'll just sell the parts. How does the starter on the toyota adapter plate mount? On the back or the front?
with toyota "acme" adapter plate the starter mounts in the stock toyota location....facing forward that is

83stang

TDI
Ya i searched it up on their site and saw that. I was watching this program on speed channel lastnight and they were making a lotus (I know really off topic but i'm getting to the point) and I saw the toyota trannie and engine. I saw how the starter mounts so i got to thinking if the starter doesn't clear from the front i'll just cut a hole in the bellhousing from the back where there's the bump to clear the starter and mount it there. If that makes any sense.

Last edited:

83stang

TDI
So I decided on a different route because the TDI's flywheel and the rangers clutch disc is just too mix match for me. So I'm getting a Ranger flywheel this week and going to tap and plug it and redrill it with the VW pattern and I'm trying to track down a blown cheap transmission to mock it all up. Does anyone have a drawing of the Ranger flywheel pattern and transmission bellhousing?

I'm thinking by redrilling the flywheel that I can eliminate some clearances issues essentially making the back of the TDI a Ford V6. Plus I will gain more clutch surface area and grip with a 10" clutch.

lsh3rd

TDI
none
Ranger Flywheel

I'm thinking by redrilling the flywheel that I can eliminate some clearances issues essentially making the back of the TDI a Ford V6. Plus I will gain more clutch surface area and grip with a 10" clutch.
You had better be sure the Ranger and/or VW flywheel don't have an imbalance built in. You may need to have the flywheel re-balanced to account for this if it is the case. Do your homework!

Larry

83stang

TDI
Ya I was thinking about the balance issue not too long ago. my solution: I'm just going to strap on the ranger flywheel and let it rock the crap out of that VW crankshaft till it blows. haha Joking of course, ya I'm looking around for that information to see if it exists. If anyones knows anything chime in.

Also I'm really having a tough time deciding if I want to adapt a AAZ for the time being until I get the adapter situation sorted out. Then track down a TDI and sort out the wiring and install it later. The AHU/1Z TDI is the route I want to go but I'm also thinking baby steps in putting a project like this together. Nothing is worse then having too much on your plate and feel like your getting nowhere. It seems an AAZ could get about 100hp reliably which would work until I find the right TDI setup.

Alright time to take this party back to the M50D adapter thread

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
Mine is all ford from the VW crank and back(ford flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and starter). It just makes it easier i thought, just redrill the ford flywheel to fit the VW crank(its pretty close right off)
After I redrilled it, i just had it rebalanced. The tdi is internally balanced.
My starter ended up being right under the turbo on the block side.

Since I blew it up i have it all apart and the adapter plate is out and loose. If someone wants a copy fire me an email, we can discuss there. I'll see how much it is to get it blueprinted, maybe thats easier than making plates and shipping them

jneufel5@shaw.ca

PhatPhungus

TDI
2000 Jetta
Complete newbie question, but why not use the vw transmission?

Awesome car, btw. I would love a small diesel pickup.

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
Complete newbie question, but why not use the vw transmission?

Awesome car, btw. I would love a small diesel pickup.
Well I'm not aware of the TDI being mated to anything other than a transaxle aka FWD. And the Rangers are obviosly RWD. So to have a Ranger with a TDI and still keep it RWD you will need a transmission to do so.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Mine is all ford from the VW crank and back(ford flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and starter). It just makes it easier i thought, just redrill the ford flywheel to fit the VW crank(its pretty close right off)
Which ford engine did your flywheel come from? 2.3?

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
So did you redrill the vw pattern between the ford pattern or did you reuse some of the holes? I don't know how you would do the latter as the ford bolt holes are probably 2mm bigger. tia

83stang

TDI
So looky what I got from the wreckers today.

[/url][/IMG]

[/IMG]

The first picture is what is marked out what i plan to do to the flywheel. I didn't realize how small the pattern was on the ranger flywheel. So this has kinda sent me back to thinking what i'm going to do. There's enough room on the back of the flywheel to drill the TDI pattern. But on the front of the flywheel there's a recess around the bolt pattern. So what i'll have to do is counterbore the holes till the bolt head is flat all around it. The only thing i'm worried about is i'm going to loose some thickness on the flywheel itself which might make it weaker. What do you guys think?

This was the pattern i was going off of for the TDI

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=294454