Coolant temp sensor location B4

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
I've searched, I am confused. I've looked on many parts websites and I am even more confused. One of my Passat's (97) needs a coolant temp sensor that controls the glow plugs. My plugs come on for 13 seconds on a 60 degree morning. Vag-com says its -6c for the coolant temp sensor, YIKES!
Ok, I can't get a good part number, I am not sure if it is the sensor at the front of the block in the plastic "flange", or the one in the middle of the top radiator hose. Or neither, maybe I am crazy. can anyone give me a good part number and location? Yes, I know I need a Bentley......
Thanks,
Ray

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Standing at the front of the car, looking at the motor, its mounted in a plastic housing bolted to the right side of the head.

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
Ok, I am half crazy, I saw a post showing the location of the sensor in the radiator hose. The Passat does not have that one. I think I was looking at a picture of an A3 Jetta, which I know there is one there. I went to my car on my break and looked at it, pulled the sensor plug off the one at the head and the glow plug light stayed on for about 16 seconds, plugged it back in and the worked for about 1 second. So I found it. When the car is warm the sensor reads like 13c or so, which I guess is enough to turn the time way down on the light. When the engine is cold and outside temp is 60 or so sensor reads below zero for the temp. Thanks tditom,
Ray

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
You might try cleaning up the plug - corrosion might cause a poor reading, especially when cold. It's easy and has about a 1% chance of working.

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
There is corrosion in the sensor. The sensor o ring is also leaking a very small amount, almost can't tell its leaking. So, its going to get a new sensor and o ring. I have the g12 standing by, just in case.......
Ray

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
For anyone with a 97 Passat, the internet sites that show parts, like impex are giving the wrong information out. The part number for the sensor is 357 919 501a The original one I just took out has that part number and a yellow band on it. The new on has the same exact part number but it is an updated design. It has a blue band on it. It works just fine. I had to call impex and get them to look up the part, which they could not. They had to ask their parts guru. He had the number off the top of his head and said they knew that their parts website was giving out bad info.
Ray