Airbag/Engine Error Code Concerns advice needed

AlexMK4

TDI
02 Jetta
I've had an airbag light on my 2002 Jetta for about a month now and I just got a vagcom cable. I hooked it up and read the fault codes thru VCDS lite and got airbag code 01224 - Control unit does not match vehicle. It also read an engine fault code 18017 - Crash Shut Down Activated, which is linked to the airbag control module. This would all make sense if I had been in a crash, however I have owned this car since new and it has never been in an accident nor had the airbags deploy. Any ideas on what could be the problems would be greatly appreciated!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Did you swap out the ecu?

Did you attempt to clear the codes? If so did they return?

AlexMK4

TDI
02 Jetta
Did you swap out the ecu?

Did you attempt to clear the codes? If so did they return?
I have never had the ecu or any computers/modules replaced. I tried clearing the airbag code (01224) but it has come back twice now. My CEL is not on, but I looked up the code (18017) and it says that it is unclearable on Ross-Tech

AlexMK4

TDI
02 Jetta
Did you go into the airbag module and try and clear the code or just the engine control module?

To clear an airbag code go to the airbag module.

https://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/shop/image/cache/data/vagcomkkl/vcds2-600x600.png Module 15
The codes are in different places, 01224 is in 15-Airbags and 18017 is in 01-Engine. I tried to clear 01224 from airbags and it came back on shortly after (I switched ignition on and off a few times, and it went off, but turned back on about 1/2 hour later).

I haven't attempted to clear 18017 yet. Do you think that 01224 keeps coming back on because of 18017? Would clearing it do anything or just push it aside? I don't know what could have triggered these codes, besides my battery dying about the same time the airbag light came on, but I can't think of anything else...

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Did you go to the ross tech code page?

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18017/P1609/005641

And follow the link from their page to a forum page?

I have no experience with that code. Yes I expect they are related.

A completely dead or almost dead battery will cause an airbag code. Something about power interruption or low power but that can be cleared. I have no idea why your car thinks it's been in a crash if it hasn't and no one has swapped out an ecu or airbag controller.

Last edited:

AlexMK4

TDI
02 Jetta
Did you go to the ross tech code page?

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18017/P1609/005641

And follow the link from their page to a forum page?

I have no experience with that code. Yes I expect they are related.

A completely dead or almost dead battery will cause an airbag code. Something about power interruption or low power but that can be cleared. I have no idea why your car thinks it's been in a crash if it hasn't and no one has swapped out an ecu or airbag controller.
I got back out with the cable and was able to clear the code that Ross-Tech said was unclearable. Hopefully it'll stay off

AlexMK4

TDI
02 Jetta
The airbag light has come back on with the same code, but the engine codes have not, so I think I might just have a bad controller unfortunately... :(

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
As often happens, Alex has not been back. He does show an email address in his contact info.