2003 jetta won't start

thatalguy

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Stick
Out of the blue my 2003 Jetta Wagon would turn over but not start. The voltage on the fuel shut off valve would stay at 12v for about four seconds then go to 0v. Many dash lights would drop out too. I changed relay 109 with no change. When the shut off valve voltage drops out I still have voltage at the various fuses 109 feeds.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Perhaps it is the crankshaft position sensor. Can you see the RPMs on the tach when you crank (after a few seconds)?

thatalguy

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Stick
Yes, the TACH registers after a fews seconds. I am going to reseat the ECM connections. I am fearing a bad ECM.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I suggest going over the wiring that goes across from the engine to battery area. Sounds like you have some possiblity of broken wires in this area.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
From what I've read the ECU is very reliable.
Have you scanned for codes?
After the last successful drive did the car start the next time and run only for a few seconds?
There is a clear fuel line from the fuel filter to the injection pump.
Is there an air bubble in the highest point of the line? Should be.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
From what I have read you can remove the innards of the shutoff valve in an emergency. Maybe try that and see if it runs ok.

thatalguy

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Stick
No codes on the OBDII scanner. I jumpered to keep constant 12v on S.O. valve but still wouldn't start. The last time I drove it there were no issues. Went out to drive and it wouldn't start. The voltage drops off the S.O. valve consistantly after about 3 seconds.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Just to avoid a wild goose chase it's normal for the voltage at the cutoff valve to drop 4-5 seconds after an engine no-start.... safety precaution. Unfortunately your issue lies elsewhere.

One thought... loosen one of the 17mm nuts on top of an injector a turn or so and see if fuel dribbles out when you crank the engine (have a rag handy, no open flames etc). Air/fuel/compression... one of 'em ain't happening... would be good to narrow down which. :)

In the "air" category: a quick thing to check is the anti-shudder valve... they can sometimes decide to stick closed.

In the "fuel" category: glowplug light comes on at least briefly when you turn the key to ON? (glowplugs aren't the worry... moreso this would confirm the ECU is getting power thru relay 109)

thatalguy

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Stick
I truly appreciate everyones help here. I followed the advice of Vince and Jarhead. My IP is empty and I am unable to fill it. I have a vac pump and it isn't drawing fuel through the IP. I put a bit of positive pressure on the inlet and nothing comes out of the return line. It acts like there is a "hard spot" in the pump. Am I missing a step in the fill procedure?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Make sure the filter is full first. As the no start thread suggests pull the fuel line at the filter and prime that first, reconnect and then prime the pump.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yeah, it can be hard to draw *thru* the pump.

If you pre-fill the filter and then pre-fill the pump often it will eventually pull on its own... helps the internal vane pump to be full.

If that doesn't work you can try gravity-feeding the fuel filter side with a jerry-can tapped in... or a large funnel.

thatalguy

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Stick
I tried a "manual fill" method and lo and behold! I have a major fuel leak on the bottom side of the pump. Thank you all for the help!