What is the correct part # for 2006 TDI DSG Transmission?

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
I was sold a 02E 301 103 G from a junk yard, they said it would fit a 2006 jetta tdi. I was wondering if anyone can't point me to the right part number to confirm which transmission I have. I looked it up on ebay and it said that that part number 02E301103G fits Passat Eos and CC. Hopefully they are interchangeable or it looks like they will have to swap for correct one or find another one.

Last edited:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
You need to find the 3 letter code of your transmission which is usually under the mat in the trunk or the spare tire well. The engine code and the transmission code is on the sticker i.e., BRM (engine) then HXU or HQN (trans).

If your car is a TDI and they are giving you something that will fit an EOS or CC then it is doubtful that it is the right part since those cars did not come with diesel engines in the US. The transmissions themselves are stamped rather inconveniently under the adapter plate that the trans mount attaches to.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If it came from a gasser it may fit but the gearing will be wrong.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
You need to find the 3 letter code of your transmission which is usually under the mat in the trunk or the spare tire well. The engine code and the transmission code is on the sticker i.e., BRM (engine) then HXU or HQN (trans).

If your car is a TDI and they are giving you something that will fit an EOS or CC then it is doubtful that it is the right part since those cars did not come with diesel engines in the US. The transmissions themselves are stamped rather inconveniently under the adapter plate that the trans mount attaches to.

Can I find the HXU or HQN on the transmission somewhere because the cars that the transmission came from is no longer available to check the trunk codes. I bought two of these transmissions one with 40k other with 60k from a reputable salvage yard in So Cal so I'm sure they would let me exchange for right ones.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/german-korean-and-japanese-auto-dismantler-huntington-beach

JETaah

TDI
Can I find the HXU or HQN on the transmission somewhere because the cars that the transmission came from is no longer available to check the trunk codes. I bought two of these transmissions one with 40k other with 60k from a reputable salvage yard in So Cal so I'm sure they would let me exchange for right ones.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/german-korean-and-japanese-auto-dismantler-huntington-beach

If you re-read my post you will see where it is stamped on the transmission.

JETaah

TDI
Ok thanks, I'll turn the transmission upside down and take a look at the code to determine what vehicle it came from and report back.

It is not on the bottom. It is on the top side under the bracket next to the transmission mount. You will have to support the transmission from underneath and remove the 4 bolts that mount the bracket. Then lower the transmission a bit so you can see under the bracket or detach it from the chassis mount and slide it to the side . Didn't I tell you how inconvenient it was?
If your trans is dirty and corroded you might have a hell of a time trying to read it. That is the only place that I know of where the trans is marked with the code. I don't think that it is identified in the software if you to call up the trans controller with VCDS.
If you still don't understand where it is I can get a pic of it.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
It is not on the bottom. It is on the top side under the bracket next to the transmission mount. You will have to support the transmission from underneath and remove the 4 bolts that mount the bracket. Then lower the transmission a bit so you can see under the bracket or detach it from the chassis mount and slide it to the side . Didn't I tell you how inconvenient it was?
If your trans is dirty and corroded you might have a hell of a time trying to read it. That is the only place that I know of where the trans is marked with the code. I don't think that it is identified in the software if you to call up the trans controller with VCDS.
If you still don't understand where it is I can get a pic of it.

The transmissions are out of the car and in storage right now. I'll take a look soon to see what I can find. If you could post a picture that would be informative.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
I just found a 02E 301 107 part number on top marked AT S AK AH AP

also found a real small marking 28 01 13KN 06 49

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is UNDER the mount bracket. It will be a 3-letter code, HXU or HQN.

Take the four bolts that hold the mount bracket on to the top of the transmission case off, and it will be under there.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
I'll take a picture of it, I think those were scratched off or removed. I'm going to call the yard and see if they can just do a return or exchange. Can anyone post a pic of the 3 letter code on transmission to get a idea? I just looked up the listing on car-part.com and the yard I bought both transmissions from has those two codes oilhammer mentioned so that is good news.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
It is etched on that flat spot shaped like a rectangle atop the case, right in the middle of the four big threaded holes where the mount bracket goes. It is pretty faint, sometimes cleaning it with some Scotchbrite pad helps.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
It is etched on that flat spot shaped like a rectangle atop the case, right in the middle of the four big threaded holes where the mount bracket goes. It is pretty faint, sometimes cleaning it with some Scotchbrite pad helps.

By chance do you see the spot you're talking about in the picture on the craigslist link I posted? It looks like its not even there, like it was scratched off. I did see on the other trans, it's real hard to read but it looks like the other one w/ 60k is a HXU.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Yes, I see the rectangle spot clearly in that picture. If the etched in number has been scratched off (I have no idea why it would have been), then the only other way to ID the transmission is with the M-unit part number, as those are trans-code specific. You can also have the dealer tell you the code by the VIN of the car it came from, if you have that. Beyond that, not much you can do.

I have never seen an 02E DSG ID that I was unable to read.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Yes, I see the rectangle spot clearly in that picture. If the etched in number has been scratched off (I have no idea why it would have been), then the only other way to ID the transmission is with the M-unit part number, as those are trans-code specific. You can also have the dealer tell you the code by the VIN of the car it came from, if you have that. Beyond that, not much you can do.

I have never seen an 02E DSG ID that I was unable to read.

Oilhammer, where would I find the M-unit part number? Would be nice to know.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Is there a part # for the M Unit? I noticed the transmission code is scratched off completely. Can a transmission rebuilder open up the transmission to determine what code and if it fits the brm like it was originally sold as a brm dsg transmission. I really would like to know, the transmission is in my vehicle taking up space, would like to get it sold soon. The junkyard won't do a refund unfortunately.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
I pulled the cover on the M Unit and the part number for the valve body came up as 02E325025AL part # directly underneath that is P04R0136 and P04R0206

Any way I can look that up to find out if it is for a 2006 jetta tdi dsg?

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
That M-unit part number comes up for a bunch of different 02E trans codes used in all kinds of stuff 2012+. Not for either of the 02E codes used with the BRM.

Doesn't mean it didn't change somewhere along the way.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
That M-unit part number comes up for a bunch of different 02E trans codes used in all kinds of stuff 2012+. Not for either of the 02E codes used with the BRM.

Doesn't mean it didn't change somewhere along the way.

There is one other number inside there that I didn't record. So you're saying there really isn't a way to identify what car this transmission is from through the valve body M-Unit?

oilhammer

TDI
I've never had to do it that way, so honestly I cannot say for sure. Any time I have ever needed anything like that, I order by VIN or get the 3-letter tag off the case itself.

If you cannot do it via either of those methods, then.... ????

I would find it hard to believe all of the car's VIN tags are gone. There are only two possible choices from BRM cars anyway. And they are interchangeable. It sounds to me like (and this is going on TWO YEARS now) you got the incorrect or "unknown" used transmission. I would get the correct one. If I had a BRM+DSG car here in my shop right now that, for whatever reason, needed a whole transmission, I'd probably have the correct one here delivered to me within a day or two, and less than a day later I'd be driving it out of the shop fixed.