What did you do to your MKIV today?

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle

Cool. Nice wheels. I have the same ones but no centers. If you have a moment, would you mind noting the part number from one of the centers? Should be something like: 1J0601149N but I want to be sure if N is correct. Thanks in advance.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I bought some of these vw rims on the weekend, after running the same stock rims for 6 years, also an oil change

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Also got rid of the disgusting soft touch coating.
How did you get rid of the soft-touch coating? I've tried before, but never found anything that worked.

(Edit: Just noticed you're missing the mirror adjuster button; I might have one if you're interested.)
(Edit again: Actually, your mirror adjuster just looks plain strange - is that a manual adjuster? Never seen one before...)

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Cool. Nice wheels. I have the same ones but no centers. If you have a moment, would you mind noting the part number from one of the centers? Should be something like: 1J0601149N but I want to be sure if N is correct. Thanks in advance.
I'll check after work.

I bought some of these vw rims on the weekend, after running the same stock rims for 6 years, also an oil change

I really like these on a silver jetta. I had them also on my 2000 TDI and loved them. Had them on the wagon until I just recently upgraded. Great looking wheel IMO.

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Dweisel's Diesel, 2000 Blue Beetle 5 speed
How did you get rid of the soft-touch coating? I've tried before, but never found anything that worked.

(Edit: Just noticed you're missing the mirror adjuster button; I might have one if you're interested.)
(Edit again: Actually, your mirror adjuster just looks plain strange - is that a manual adjuster? Never seen one before...)
Is that the same touch coating that goes on the dash? I need to reapply, is it like s spray paint?

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
I first tried with the purple simple green professional and a brush, that took some of it off but was a bit too slow. Then I soaked the parts in TSP and hot water, that made the coating all soft and it was quite easy to get off. I used a scotch brite sponge, might of left some fine scratches in the plastic though.
The mirror adjustor knob cover is missing indeed but it is a manual one, quite rare, bare bones TDI;)

The coating on the dash looks like something else entirely, not sure if there is anything to re apply that, maybe plasti dip.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
I fixed my broken glove box hinge and broken arm rest hinge with kits. Smiled all day!

Now if there was a kit to fix the arm rest lid release mechanism thats been broken for a decade...

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG

We have twin cars and rims
Though yours does not appear rusty!

I like them too, they do look good on the car

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
We have twin cars and rims
Though yours does not appear rusty!
I like them too, they do look good on the car
I have too many rusts that bother me :( although its in relatively good shape for the year and mileage

I like the change, its simple and was a good deal lol

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
I found out where an 08 City Jetta was taken after it was written off. It's the same red as my 01. Price is being negotiated for a door that I need for mine. Front end is not the same or I'd have a driver side fender... trunk is different as well. MK4 Tornado Red is rare to find in a junkyard.

However, all interior parts will fit. I have the shift knob and boot. Boot is worn out on mine. This boot is the same as MK4 but the knob feels slightly different. I can live with it.

As a project, I was retro-fitting oem driving/fog lights into housings that didn't have them. I had smashed lights that had good driving lights and an old spare set of lights without them. I don't know about Golfs but Jetta lights all have the mounts for fogs in back with or without fogs. I used a dremel to open the round spot up and thought I did an ok job. Went to wipe the dust off the reflector with a rag wet with windex.... the silver wiped right off, ruining the reflector. Don't use windex.... :mad:

Last edited:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I found out where an 08 City Jetta was taken after it was written off. It's the same red as my 01. Price is being negotiated for a door that I need for mine. Front end is not the same or I'd have a driver side fender... trunk is different as well. MK4 Tornado Red is rare to find in a junkyard.

However, all interior parts will fit. I have the shift knob and boot. Boot is worn out on mine. This boot is the same as MK4 but the knob feels slightly different. I can live with it.

As a project, I was retro-fitting oem driving/fog lights into housings that didn't have them. I had smashed lights that had good driving lights and an old spare set of lights without them. I don't know about Golfs but Jetta lights all have the mounts for fogs in back with or without fogs. I used a dremel to open the round spot up and thought I did an ok job. Went to wipe the dust off the reflector with a rag wet with windex.... the silver wiped right off, ruining the reflector. Don't use windex.... :mad:

On the city Jetta at the wrecking yard, check the passenger side fender liner. Some of the city Jetta's came with a vented fender liner on the passenger get side. It helps bring the intake air temperatures down quicker.

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
On the city Jetta at the wrecking yard, check the passenger side fender liner. Some of the city Jetta's came with a vented fender liner on the passenger get side. It helps bring the intake air temperatures down quicker.

Interesting. I'll have a look for it when I go back.

Is intake temp a problem in the summer? This will be my first summer with a tdi so I don't know...

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
thanks. that looks like an easy, worthwhile score from a junker.

this city Jetta was hit on that side in front so it might not have survived.... I'll check it out.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
VNT17 Turbo adapter from Kerma. This has been the real source of my boost problem. The O ring is way too small to create a seal with the turbo outlet ID.

So where do I get the correct O ring and I believe it is really a square cross section ring rather than a round one?

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
I tried that and a square Vitron seling ring is $46.00 for the one I "think" I need. I was hoping someone had gone through this exercise before and had a recommendation other than just posting a link to an internet site that sells industrial O rings. But thanks anyway.
Have you contacted Kerma?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I tried that and a square Vitron seling ring is $46.00 for the one I "think" I need. I was hoping someone had gone through this exercise before and had a recommendation other than just posting a link to an internet site that sells industrial O rings. But thanks anyway.
Wow! What size is that o-ring? I needed a large one (similar to what is on an oil spin-on filter and it wasn't that much, around $13 IIRC. Of course I was going for a Viton, not Buna ring.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Wow! What size is that o-ring? I needed a large one (similar to what is on an oil spin-on filter and it wasn't that much, around $13 IIRC. Of course I was going for a Viton, not Buna ring.
I'm checking the Grainger site now as I have ordered from them in the past. I'm estimating the size of the ring (0.139" wide. 1/75" ID). The trouble is I don't need a package of 10 to 25 though.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I used a digital caliper to get the outside diameter of where the inside of the ring would go, the the inside diameter of where the outside of ring would go, the width of the ring channel, and the depth of the channel. I can't remember if I rounded to the full millimeter or to the half-millimeter, but the ring ID was slightly smaller than the mating piece OD while the ring OD was slightly larger than the mating piece ID.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I used a digital caliper to get the outside diameter of where the inside of the ring would go, the the inside diameter of where the outside of ring would go, the width of the ring channel, and the depth of the channel. I can't remember if I rounded to the full millimeter or to the half-millimeter, but the ring ID was slightly smaller than the mating piece OD while the ring OD was slightly larger than the mating piece ID.
Thanks, I have a digital caliper at work and I will bring the adapter with me tomorrow. Right now I am just estimating. I did stick a 43.95 mm "green" turbo outlet hose to pancake pipe on the adapter and that may work if I can't get the proper sized one from Kerma or locally. That would be a temporary fix though.

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
I ran into the same problem when doing the "joey mod" on my headlights. The silver coating on the reflectors is REALLY fragile. It's so delicate that even a wet sponge will wipe some of it off if you're not careful. I was using painter's tape to mask off parts of the reflectors, and the tape kept pulling up the silver coating. It drove me nuts!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Replaced the O ring in my turbo adapter after sizing it correctly and finding one at O'Rielly's. Adapter fits tight now. Connected the turbo outlet hose and the rest of the plumbing. Changed the vacuum line to the turbo actuator as it looked old.

Will drive it tomorrow to see if the instant boost hesitation @ 2,000 rpm is solved.

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
I ran into the same problem when doing the "joey mod" on my headlights. The silver coating on the reflectors is REALLY fragile. It's so delicate that even a wet sponge will wipe some of it off if you're not careful. I was using painter's tape to mask off parts of the reflectors, and the tape kept pulling up the silver coating. It drove me nuts!

Well I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only one. I will probably just use air to dust them off if I try it again.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Ughhh...after a test drive, the hesitation at around 2,000 rpm is still there (under acceleration) but only happens randomly.

Any suggestions what to do next? :mad:

The turbo plumbing is tight, timing it dead on, car pulls hard and idles fine.

I have also cleaned the injectors with Diesel Purge,

Checked all vacuum lines,

Checked vacuum at the N75 (~ 24" Hg) at idle.

What has not been done is sending the injectors to Drivebywire for cleaning/testing,

Checking the turbo actuator. (not sure this will be easy to do in the car)

????????