VW 6 cylinder diesel in Volvos

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
And all I did, in 20 seconds, was to Google "Volvo VW diesel". Sheesh!

what it is: "It's a Jeep thing. You wouldn't understand"
what it should be: "It's a Jeep thing. I don't have the intellect or vocabulary to explain it!"

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
RickCJ7 said:
Anyone know of a forum about the VW 6 cylinder diesel engines??
I'm familiar with the VW 6-cylinder IDI diesel engine used in a generator application. I believe it is the D24 engine in Volvos. I restored one of these generator sets to service after it was abandoned and sat unused for over 6 years. The engine is mounted in a VERTICAL configuation to save space inside a phone company microwave "bunker" building.

Link to story:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=997524&postcount=52
:cool:

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
Lug_Nut said:

what it should be: "It's a Jeep thing. I don't have the intellect or vocabulary to explain it!"
LN- There is an awful drought of common sense just get used to it. All that cynisiscism is not good for you.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Lug_Nut said:

20 seconds seems like a LONG latency time for Google.

Repeating your search Google said it took less time:

Google said:
Results 1 - 10 of about 13,300,000 for volvo vw diesel. (0.27 seconds)

SonyAD

banned Borat
TDI
Peugeot 206 2.0 HDi
n1das said:
I'm familiar with the VW 6-cylinder IDI diesel engine used in a generator application. I believe it is the D24 engine in Volvos. I restored one of these generator sets to service after it was abandoned and sat unused for over 6 years. The engine is mounted in a VERTICAL configuation to save space inside a phone company microwave "bunker" building.

Link to story:
:cool:
Dry sump?

n1das

TDI
SonyAD said:
Dry sump?
Not a dry sump system. The oil pan is approximately 8 inches deep, sitting between the engine block and 45kW alternator. The oil pan also has a heater to help keep the engine warm in the winter. This is the large white box sandwiched between the engine and alternator. Oil capacity is 16 quarts. Oil used is 15W-40 dino oil.

The engine has a custom crankshaft, extending down thru the (deep) oilpan below the engine, sort of like a lawnmower engine where the crankshaft must penetrate the oil pan. The bottom of the engine where the oil pan would normally be in a car application has also been replaced with a custom pan to close things up.

The engine has a prelube system to help prevent dry starts and the oil filter has been remote mounted. When the engine is shut off, a solenoid valve operated by the fuel cutoff solenoid circuit traps pressurized oil in a bladder accumulator. Assuming no leaks, the oil remains stored under pressure in the accumulator until the next cold start. A second solenoid valve powered by the glowplug circuit opens during glowplug operation and allows the trapped pressurized oil to be dumped into the oil plumbing. The end result is the engine gets some oil squirted through it a few seconds before it cranks over to start.

The genset manufacturer (Morrison-Knudson Co., out of business) bought the basic engine from VW and then modified it for vertical operation. Even the the injector pump has an internal modification which vents an internal chamber so the pump can operate vertically. A belt drive system on top of the engine cranks the radiator fan and a lift pump to keep the injector pump supplied with fuel. The valve cover and CCV system was also modified for vertical operation. A lot of work went into modifying the engine to run in a vertical configuration.

This system is LOUD when it runs with the cabinet open. It's not bad when all closed up and it roars along at 3600 RPM. When it's opened up like in the pics, you almost need to wear hearing protection when it's running.

This genset restoration project became the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back and made me trade out of my gas-guzzling Subaru WRX gasser and get into my 02 Golf TDI. :cool: No more gassers for me!

Last edited:

n1das

TDI
SonyAD said:
Dry sump?
Link to story:

The oil pan is the white box in the pic. You can see some of the second pan closing up the bottom of the engine block above the oil pan.

Here's a zoomed out view:

Another view of the engine:

RickCJ7 said:
Thanks,
it looks like a decent site, I tried Volvo diesel and VW diesel etc.... and had no luck finding this site
I'll check out the D24T forums too. :cool: I didn't know they existed. My online research for the genset project in 2002 brought me to TDIclub and rest is history. :cool:

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
kcfoxie said:
20 seconds seems like a LONG latency time for Google
The lists loaded up quick enough, but the request was for a FORUM. That took me until the 3rd page of the search lists to find.