"Brake" light flashing and 3 beeps at start

JKU355

TDI
04 Passat
Good evening

I have scoured the internet and various forums and cannot find an answer. I bought a 2004 Passat TDI a month ago to go back and forth from home to work. (about 40/50 mi drive)

When I start it and start moving the "BRAKE" light on the dash flashes and I get 3 beeps. It flashed the entire drive to work it did not beep the entire time, it only beeps when you first start moving. No ABS light, brake pads have maybe 200 miles on them (I replaced them when I bought it a month ago), the brake fluid is Full. The front pads have the built in wear sensors and are plugged in. The DRL's are on and the e brake is down all the way. I even pushed down on the ebrake switch and it has no effect. Yet when I pull the ebrake the "BRAKE" light on the dash stays on and beeps constantly plus the switch is new so it's not that. I also checked the ac and abs fuses in the driver side panel with no issues noted.

I'm at a loss

Quick recap:
BRAKE light flashes all the time
3 beeps only and it's only when I start moving
-Brake fluid clear and FULL
-Brake Pads 1 month old, maybe 209-300mi on the pads
-Front pads have the built in sensors and are connected
-DRL's on
-NO codes on my OBD scanner
-E-Brake switch is fully depressed and working
-AC and ABS fuse in panel by driver's door are good

Last edited:

JKU355

TDI
04 Passat
Good morning all, I replaced the bulbs and still have the issue. All brake lights are working as they should.

JKU355

TDI
04 Passat
**update**

So I have the front brake pad light on as well (replaced front pads with ones from advanced Auto with the wires) and when I started it says check front pads.
When I replaced the brakes I also bled them and the reservoir is full and fluid clear. I have no puddles on the ground.

ESP button doesn't do anything when pressed. Idk if it could be a speed Sensor or some other issue in the braking system.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
you are thinking too hard, no speed sensor no start, the tach will tell you if the speed sensor is working...sounds to me the pads you put on have a problem with the wear indicator or the wiring to that wheel

Last edited:

JKU355

TDI
04 Passat
Thanks

I made a jumper for the pads and still got the "check brake pads" and yellow light for the front. I also have the flashing "Brake" on the dash.

I'm used to working on my jeep this is a head scratcher for me lol.

JKU355

TDI
04 Passat
Thanks. Next brake job I'll buy better front pads. But isn't the flashing "Brake" something to do with the rears or the fluid level?

I was going to try and rule out a.faikure of the brake fluid sensor as well as flush the brakes to ensure no air bubbles.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
low fluid or air in the system you would feel at the pedal, mushy, the brake light bulb flashing is worn out pads or bad bulb. The front pads wear out first so they have the wear sensors, you also have caliper lock but that's another issue.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
My experience with the 3 beeps is a bad ABS module. You can scan it and there are no codes correct?