Side-rear window sun blind for JSW?

switters

TDI
none
Just bought a JSW TDI (woo hoo!). Baby is due to be born any day now, and we need a side-rear window sun blind. Any recommendations? In the "Genuine VW Volkswagen" accessories booklet they gave me when I bought the car, it looks like there's an OEM VW option. But I'm having trouble locating them online for the JSW.

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
Here you go:

1K9064363 - 2 shade set for backseat windows

1K9-064-365-A - 3 shade set for luggage compartment (rear window and 2 small side windows)

Order from dealer, input that into google or go to the parts suppliers and order. I've used keffervwparts.com for a decent discount.

I got the ones for the Golf and my little niece loves to ride with me just because she's not getting a faceful of sun in her carseat.
Congratulations and good luck with the little one.

switters

TDI
none
Here you go:

1K9064363 - 2 shade set for backseat windows

1K9-064-365-A - 3 shade set for luggage compartment (rear window and 2 small side windows)

Order from dealer, input that into google or go to the parts suppliers and order. I've used keffervwparts.com for a decent discount.

I got the ones for the Golf and my little niece loves to ride with me just because she's not getting a faceful of sun in her carseat.
Congratulations and good luck with the little one.
Thanks! Are they easy to install? I assume so but thought I'd ask.

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
Very simple. The backseat windows are put in place with tabs that stick to the frame with double-sided tape. Unobtrusive and black, so they blend in perfectly well. They go in and out easily, stay in place, and you can still open and close the windows with them. They fold flat by twisting them like a windshield shade and go into the supplied pouch. As you can see, it fits edge to edge.

The rear window is not as good, though. Because the top of the window doesn't have a lip, it's held in place with metal clips between the glass and the plastic panel. So from some angles there is a gap. It still works okay. It's not as easy to take down and put back up as the side windows so I tend to just leave it there, even during winter, as it helps when I'm being tailgated by an SUV.

For me, I'm using them instead of tint since it is illegal to tint the front windows in NJ and I don't much care for the two-tone look. I'd rather keep the fishbowl than tint just half the windows. But the shades really do help when I have rear passengers, especially little ones in rear-facing carseats.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
$100 + $250 ouch for the factory and that is discount. My dealer wants $100 for the back door windows and $360 for the rear shade+two small sides. $460 OUCH! I said to the dealer, I can get them cheaper, want to discount them... "no there is no mark up blah blah..." Bye, I tried.

I looked on-line and the best prices I found was Cheap Volkswagen Parts dot com, $77.42 for the two back door windows and $248.71 for the back window and the two small side windows..... from http://www.cheapvolkswagenparts.com Shipping I don't know?

I went ahead and got the Windesa ones on eBay above, for $268 total including shipping. That is a savings of $58 plus what every they charge for shipping, gussing at least $40. So a savings of about $100, and they look like they are the manufactured for VW. They are made and come from Germany. I'll let you all know how they are.... below are some pics from their auction. The example pic is representative of a typical example.

Last edited:

jbilliel

TDI
2011 Jetta SportWagon
My 2.5 year old complains about the sun a lot and these look interesting... Can he easily rip these down though?

theflyingturtle

TDI
2011 Sportwagen
$100 + $250 ouch for the factory and that is discount. My dealer wants $100 for the back door windows and $360 for the rear shade+two small sides. $460 OUCH! I said to the dealer, I can get them cheaper, want to discount them... "no there is no mark up blah blah..." Bye, I tried.

I looked on-line and the best prices I found was Cheap Volkswagen Parts dot com, $77.42 for the two back door windows and $248.71 for the back window and the two small side windows..... from http://www.cheapvolkswagenparts.com Shipping I don't know?

I went ahead and got the Windesa ones on eBay above, for $268 total including shipping. That is a savings of $58 plus what every they charge for shipping, gussing at least $40. So a savings of about $100, and they look like they are the manufactured for VW. They are made and come from Germany. I'll let you all know how they are.... below are some pics from their auction. The example pic is representative of a typical example.

You are my hero!!! I was going to order these tonight but I will now wait to read your review. Thanks!

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I got a ride in the "courtesy" shuttle yesterday while my car was in for its 15k service and it had the sun shades built into the door. It was the Routan all optioned out it seemed - even had heated rear seats! For the sun shades, they store inside the door where you'd be able to rest your arm alongside the bottom of the window, and just pull straight up to the top of the window when put in use.

Pekodaddy

TDI
12 JSW black/tan, pano, 6MT
I thought about getting these blinds but ultimately decided to get a tint instead. $330 for everything but the windshield and sunroof. 50 on the front, 35 everywhere else. 3m film from a reputable shop with a lifetime guarantee. IMHO, much cheaper better looking and easier than these shades. Thanks for the discussion though.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought about getting these blinds but ultimately decided to get a tint instead. $330 for everything but the windshield and sunroof. 50 on the front, 35 everywhere else. 3m film from a reputable shop with a lifetime guarantee. IMHO, much cheaper better looking and easier than these shades. Thanks for the discussion though.
Tint (film) or no tint, the pop on sun shades above are an adjunct, not a substitute for tint. You can use both tint and sun shades; may be belt and suspenders, but black interior, grey platinum metallic, bunch of windows like a green house, the south.... the more shade the better. If your tint is legal, not too dark for safe night vision it is not enough in peak summer sun where I live. These you can put up and take off the sun shade as needed/desired, which is the advanatage. It is not a total substitude for tint or one or the other. You can have both.

The factory windows on my JSW are already tinted fairly dark. I bought the car used, but I don't think they have aftermarket tint. I would not want them any darker then they are now, for all around driving at night.

I don't care for add on aftermarket semi-perminant tint films. Also films don't last and have to come off at some point. When you put it on the back window, with the metal traces for defrost, you'll screw them up when you pull the tint off. Ask me how I know. I do have and use four cling tint film squares that you can put on any window and remove easily, as desired. This was an interim fix. I think the shades will be nice, look good (better than generic). I'll let you all know.

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Here are some pics of my stock JSW window tint. I would not want to go much darker. I was just in a shopping parking lot and saw a Jetta 2.5 and SUV with basically blackout window tint all around except windshield. I just don't see how they can see at night. I forgot to take a picture with my phone camera. I am guessing the net tint was at least 20%

The pictures below show that my JSW stock windows are about 50% tint, may be a tad darker. 35% is not a lot darker. In my state it is 35% net max tint. NET means combined total for factory tint plus film. The temporary removable CLING tint film I got for a few bucks a pair. They work OK for make-shift deal. You can double them, and it is then very dark. They are pain to put up with out wrinkles. They will stick to their self and each other if you try and roll or fold them up with out tissue paper.

Last edited:

Pekodaddy

TDI
12 JSW black/tan, pano, 6MT
Agree that 20 is way too dark. 50 or 35 is plenty dark. In addition to looking like dogshizz, those tack on squares are distracting. All you see during a headcheck backwards is a big blob and you have to think about whether it's a car in your blind spot.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Agree that 20 is way too dark. 50 or 35 is plenty dark. In addition to looking like dogshizz, those tack on squares are distracting. All you see during a headcheck backwards is a big blob and you have to think about whether it's a car in your blind spot.
They ain't pretty, but you can see through them just fine day time. If I really wanted to do a bang up job putting them on, I'd get mildly soapy water and spray that on, squeegee out the bubbles and wrinkles.

Anyway the cling shades are going bye-bye for the custom fit German sun shades I ordered above. I gather from research they're the same as the ones VW sells. I'll may use the cling shades for parking on the front passenger and driver windows when parked. I also use a windshield shade when parked, makes a big difference.

wfg97079

Veteran Member
TDI
for the first time in 17 years, none
thanks

Please keep us posted on how you like the ones from ebay
They ain't pretty, but you can see through them just fine day time. If I really wanted to do a bang up job putting them on, I'd get mildly soapy water and spray that on, squeegee out the bubbles and wrinkles.

Anyway the cling shades are going bye-bye for the custom fit German sun shades I ordered above. I gather from research they're the same as the ones VW sells. I'll may use the cling shades for parking on the front passenger and driver windows when parked. I also use a windshield shade when parked, makes a big difference.

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
I decided to get these for my Golf. Tint may look better, but I like having the option to remove. Particularly at night.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The shades have the advantage in NC of not adding an expense to the annual state inspection. If you have aftermarket window tint, they test every year to make sure that it is legal. IIRC, it adds $15 to the inspection. With the shades, I could just pull them out before the inspection. I really wish we had the option of a built in roller shade, like in the passat b5.5.

I bought ones from Costco that attach with suction cups. My daughter tore them up when she decided to put the back windows down with out removing them. These would be a great advantage over that but ahve to wonder how well they would hold up when driving with the windows down.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the shades, here's the review:

PRO: They came FedEx fast and are of top high quality. They went in fairly easy, once I figured out how to put the side door window clips. The instructions are 5 pages of black and white photos, ala copier machine. Once you learn how to fit them, I would say it takes no more than 2 minutes to take them out or put them in. The first time for me took 10-15 minutes scratching my head, looking at the picture, trying to figure out where and how to orientate the window clips. No tools needed. Overall LOVE'em. Glad I bought'em. Saved $100 from the VW ones discounted online. The dealer wanted $100 more than that. I can only assume they are made by the same folks. They are made and ship from Germany.

CON: They will be too dark for some, especially at night, especially out the back window, guessing 20% based on my previous post picture of relative "transmissivity" of light. The first drive I took after I installed them was in the dark, early morning to work, just at sunrise. I left about 45 min before I typically do. I first noticed some distortion of other cars lights through the back window. In the day time they are fine, still dark however. I do 90% of my driving it seems during the day. In the winter the back shade might come out, as well as the sides, maybe. That is a PRO, they are removable.

Pictures below of inside to outside shots, may look a little worse than actual, only because I was driving. They were over the shoulder shots with some wiggling. Keep in mind the back shade comes out in 20 seconds. The down side is it does not collapse (I think) and rather large. Looking over the shoulder for lane changes, the visibility is better out the side than straight back. May be it is due to the nearness and angle? With car parked, standing over 6 feet away, it looks like tint film. Closer you get, you start to see it's sheer stretch fabric with tiny holes, not tint film. The only logo is a small one on the side door window shades, Sonniboy. It is made according to the instructions www.climair.de

Bought some 17" VW "Goal" rims, in anthracite, should add to the dark monochromatic look.

The stock tint is pretty dark for factory, at least compared to other cars I have owned.

Above: Side window visability good. Below: Early Morning, 30 min after sunrise, not full daylight

Last edited:

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
I got 'em (the official VW ones) and installed them fairly quickly. Pay attention to the instructions and how it goes together, and it is not too hard. Someone had posted good instructions online, too.

It definitely gives the car a dark tint-like look. Looks really good. (Will have to wait until the car is washed for pics. ;-) ) I think it's a fine alternative to tinting.

My only concern now is visibility. Wow, it blocks a lot of light! I bet this is going to be great for parking the car outside, as well as shading passengers.

The side window shades come with a pouch so you can fold them up and put them away, kind of like the front sunshade I use when parking. The rear comes shipped in a big box, so that kind of implies to me that they don't expect that one to fold.

While I was ordering things, I also got a set of chrome VW valve caps. :-D

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Difference VW shades vs. eBay Sonniboy Shades (from Germany)

From the link above, half way down are some video links to YouTube; I did not see anything real helpful. I can say the two videos shows different mounts, but it's for a GTI, which may be why the difference from what I have, with the Sonniboy (eBay) and the JSW.

In video from link above, the side windows for this GTI show stick on channels. The ones I got for the JSW are slick, go UNDER the rubber molding, slipping onto the edge of the sheet metal under the rubber, no sticky clips. The idea is the same, the shade pops into and behind the clips.

In other video from above link, for the rear window, shows two clips that go around the plastic interior edge, staying on the hatch, with the shade tucking behind it. Again for my rear shade, the clips pop onto the shade itself, tucking between the window and plastic molding when you slide the shade in, different a similar thing.

The other difference, video shows instructions drawn with technical illustrations, example inset sketches and some text. Again my instructions are actual photos and scant text. To be honest it is dirt simple to install.

The sides shipped folded in video. My sides shipped flat in a big flat box with the large rear shade. I might write the www.climair.de company and ask if they fold.

The shades in video for the GTI and ones I have, for my "Golf Variant 5-Door", which is what they call the JSW in Europe, look the same. Does Sonniboy make the shades for VW? Don't know but I asked them.

Edit: Got an email back. The Sonniboy shades made by Climair.de are not the same ones VW sells. Someone else makes those. Also the Sonniboy side door window shades don't fold. Again, for the JSW, the lowest price VW accessory shades I could find, for the back set and side window sets, was approx. $260 and $80 respectively, plus shipping. I paid $268 total. So the VW ones are easily $100 more. If you go through the dealer at list price, it will be $100 over and above that. I am happy with the purchase and recommend them. Not sure if the JSW VW version uses the glue on clips, like the Golf or GTI, but I like the ones that came with mine, no stick on clips, uses slip on metal clips.

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
My only concern now is visibility. Wow, it blocks a lot of light! I bet this is going to be great for parking the car outside, as well as shading passengers.
The visibility is NOT bad, and if you are in Phoenix Arizona, Summer, you'll love it. Minot North Dakota mid winter, 8 hours of light, snow, may be a blizzard, shades not needed so much.

For me personally, night time, bad weather, the back shade might come off. Now what do you do with that large back shade when out? I'm sure it will sit fine across the back seat, temporarily. I have the cargo cover on my JSW. The shade should fit flat on-top across, between two side windows behind the back seat, over the cargo area. I can lay half the back seat down, lay it in cargo area. However best to take it out at home and store it there. IT CAN BE REMOVED AND INSTALLED IN A HANDFUL OF SECONDS.

The side windows behind the driver have little effect on your driving visibility. I'll likely leave the four side shades in, year round, but again they can come out in seconds.

There is NO DOUBT putting anything on your windows, darker tint/shades reduces the amount of visible light coming into the car. That is the idea, and with that comes a trade-off in visibility overall. With film tint you are stuck with it. The VW already comes with fairly dark tint from the factory. However for parking, it's not enough for me. This saves me from having to put up tacky generic shades and take then down daily when I park at work. It's a nice custom fit compromise that looks good, but to each his own. It is not a cheap option, even these discounted direct from manufacture are $268 total, and through from VW they are about $360-$460.

Last edited:

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
I paid over $170 for the Golf shades (rear and sides); that's a discounted price.

The videos match my VW shade installs, I think. Perhaps the aftermarket shades are a bit different.

I had (relatively) dark tint in a previous car, and sometimes, backing up late at night was really hard! Being able to just pop out the shade is a great feature. During the day, visibility is reduced, but I didn't see it as a huge problem.

I am not sure that the factory tint is all that dark, but haven't tried to figure it out. With the shades, it really looks dark, but when you get close, it doesn't look the same as tint. In some ways, this is even better -- I think it's harder to look into the car with the shades. Tint looks a bit "cleaner", but the shades have a lot of advantages.

adolenc

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Awesome, thanks so much for the post install report. Question for you - the auction lists that they were tested to 180kph. How do the shades do with windows open? Like highway speeds, both back windows open? Lots of flapping & noise? Or sturdy and doesn't look like they'll rip off?

NITRO330

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I ordered the side window shades from Keffer (about $90 shipped) and got a box from them recently. I thought the box looked way too big and, once opened, found out they sent me window deflectors (the smoke-colored plastic pieces that run along the upper, outside portion of the window to keep rain, etc. out when windows are open) instead.

The part number on the invoice is correct, just the wrong product. Now I'm waiting for a response from them instead of installing these this weekend....

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
That's who I ordered from, but everything was fine. Fast shipping too. $90 for one part, $88 for the other, but shipping was extra.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Awesome, thanks so much for the post install report. Question for you - the auction lists that they were tested to 180kph. How do the shades do with windows open? Like highway speeds, both back windows open? Lots of flapping & noise? Or sturdy and doesn't look like they'll rip off?
The side window shades sit just inside the window, no affect on the opening and closing of the window. When I parked my car last week I cracked the two back windows. I drove home like that part way. I can concur having the windows cracked made the car cool much cooler when I later returned to drive home that afternoon. With the shades it is not obvious your windows are cracked... which is good. I drove a few miles with them still cracked and enjoyed the extra breeze and road noise. However I got on the freeway, 65 mph; I closed them just for lower noise. I am sure they can take the abuse, They seem very strong and allow air to flow through their many holes. They are drum head tight, so they don't flutter.

In general I don't drive with my windows down shade or no shades. However parked you can roll the back windows down, let air in with some protection from dirt and bugs getting in.

jcayce

TDI
2012 JSW
I wanted to thank gmcjetpilot. I posted about these shades a little over a month ago hoping that it would garner interest and that someone with the right amount of money and motivation would take the first step. I don't know if he read my post or just had the same frame of mind when looking for a tint solution, but everything worked out! For those interested in the other related thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=347499

After reading about his good luck with the company and product I ordered the shades on Monday of this week. They arrived in Texas today (Friday, four days later via FedEX), took about 10 minutes to put in, and look phenomenal. They match the overhead sunshade, are a very precise fit, and the quality of the shades themselves seem impeccable (no frayed edges, no little pieces of string hanging out, uniform across the entire area, etc.). The shade created in the car is outstanding and I do not see looking throught the back glass a problem at all. Bonus will be taking them out in winter and having a warm car to come back to.

Thank you again gmcjetpilot.

Last edited: