ALH TDI engine transplant into '84 Vanagon

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
No fan on mine. Add to that, the L/R tire kicks crud on it too. Under normal highway conditions, I see about 30F over ambient, which I feel is reasonable. I am considering adding an aluminum shield in front of it to help protect it from road debris, but it might also improve the flow across the cooler by creating more of a low pressure area underneath the cooler.

If I really wanted to get the IAT under control, I'd use a water cooled intercooler, but that is more things to go wrong. mark

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Update

I didn't do anything over the weekend. However, early Friday morning my aluminum welder called saying he had the Intercooler ready. To my surprise, I was thinking more like a week before he could get to it. I had him to modify it so that the discharge pipe comes out on top just in front of the left rear tail light assembly. Also, I had him to change the angle of the IN pipe to better align with the discharge coming out of the Turbo. And, I had him to weld four 1/2 inch aluminum bolts on top for additional mounting points.

...............sorry no photos! I'll do those when I mount it this week!

Okay, here are four photos of my "unscientific" testing of the "snap switch" for the Intercooler Fan. As I stated in a previous post, the switch was supposed to come on at 95F and kick-off at 85F. Well, in the photos below you will see the test results. I did the test 5 times and got the same results.

In the pic below, you can see the snap switch on the left and the Electro-thermo test sensor on the right. They are mounted on a 3/32 inch thick piece of Aluminum. From the bottom, I heated it very slow with a propane torch......slow enough that the digital meter would only click up about every three or four seconds (no blow torch affect).

Below is another angle. You can see the PC cooling fan in the background. When the snap switch closed it turned on the fan. At that point I let it run until the temp dropped to the cut off point (74F).

Below you can see the temp at 100F.......when it reached 101F, the switch would snap shut and on come the fan.

Below you can see the temp at 75F.......when it dropped to 74F, the switch would snap open and the fan would stop!

As reasoned in the discussions in the previous posts, these temps are not acceptable! The kick-off temp needs to be more like 90F to 95F. The fan is just an assist. The IC is going to be located in an area that receives "ram" air while the vehicle is in motion.

I have found a better product and hope to get better results.:D

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I've always thought it would make sense to hard-mount the intercooler in close thermal contact with the car's body, frame rails, or sheet metal. So that, basically the IC is part of a very large heat sink and won't get very hot because it can always shed heat to a very large heat sink which itself if exchanging heat with atmosphere it moves through.

IOW: a metal-on-metal mounting via bracket and even use some thermal paste like you do when you build computers. The advantage would be it's a totally passive setup with no electrical or sensor-based failure modes.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
So Andy, when you make this trip what way do you go? Do you go up Iowa, Minnesota, then North Dakota, or do you go through the Rockies and up the West Coast of BC?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Tom, on our first trip to Alaska (1986), I knew exactly where we would be each day and while in Alaska. I did not plan a daily itinerary for the return trip. I suppose my thinking was that we would back track. Well, just west of Watson Lake, Yukon is highway 37 (Cassiar Highway). We took it south down thru the Rockies in British Columbia.......we continued working our way south and come out at Glacier National Park, Montana.....on down to Yellowstone and finally at Dinosaur National Park in Colorado, we headed home on I-70 (28 days total). The six return trips were similar but not the same.

To answer your question, we head north on I-75 to Lexington, Ky and then west on I-64 to Louisville. From there, we take I-65 north to Indianiapolis around the loop and hit I-74 over into Illinois. At Bloomington, IL, we take I-39 straight north into Wisconsin to Portage and spend the night at a KOA (roughly a 725 mile day). From there we head west across Wisconsin on I-94 crossing Minnesota on to Fargo, ND. Then we head north to Grand Forks, ND then west on highway 2 to Minot, ND which is another 700 mile plus day. From there, we head toward Canada on highway 52 and enter at Portal/North Portal. We finish that day east of Edmonton, Alberta at nice town called Vegreville (largest Easter Egg in the world there, do a Google search)....that's another 700 mile plus day.

After knocking down over 2100 miles in three days, we slow down and take in some of the most awesome scenery one can imagine! Canada and Alaska are awesome, and so are the people!

We do plan to document the trip in a Thread, either here in the TDI club or the Samba.

Thanks for asking.............. I have Labrador on my radar too! That's another road trip, maybe summer of '13. Will I ever find time to hike the Appalachian Trail? <<<<<<<, no says my wife 6 years after that statement!

Last edited:

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess when you do the trip several times you can perfect your route.:) If you like the Appalachian Trail I recommend reading "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. It gives a decent history of the trail and is very funny/entertaining read. I have a friend who is a priest in Kodiak, Kodiak Island, AK. He is the biggest outdoorsman I know and this is his dream job. He made the drive from St. Louis and it was over 5,000 miles, but I believe he went through Montana. I like your idea of getting to Canada in a couple days and then enjoying it from there.

Here is his route :eek:

But this is one of the pics that he had to share. I imagine you see equally as beautiful views out of the front window of your Vanagon. He drove his GMC Canyon, not the best road trip car:rolleyes:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Awesome map and photos! Wow!

Now, for those who read in this Thread, they can see ^^^^ why I am so anxious to head north this summer in a TDI powered VW Vanagon!

Yes, I have read Bill Bryson's book.............also, White Blaze dot com is a great web site. And, I've read numerous journals on trailjournals dot com!

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Update

Have you ever done something only to realize there was a better way or that you screwed-up? Well, I've been there and done that several times with this project.

The lastest is the Intercooler!

So, here are a few photos showing the lastest "adjustments" and "corrections" as well as the shield (duct work) to protect it from flying debris off the left rear wheel.

All comments are at the top of each photo!

In this photo you can see the shield (duct work) on the bottom of the Intercooler. Also, visible are four 1/2 inch aluminum bolts for mounting and a new location (top left) for the outlet. In order to mount the exhaust duct/shield, I had to move the outlet from the bottom to the top. The round looking cap on the side there was where the "original equipment" outlet was located.

EDIT: The piece of duct work on the bottom of the Intercooler in these pic was never used. edited 12/28/2017

This angle is from the other side. As part of these lastest mods, I also had the inlet pipe re-oriented so that it would better align with the outlet pipe coming off the Turbo.

This angle is a side shot

This angle shows the discharge from the duct. Also, you can see a square cap welded on the right bottom .....that's for the Temp and Pressure sensor. I need to drill a hole for mounting.

This top view shows the outlet pipe and the four bolts. Yes, they are rather long, however, I will cut them off a little. Not only will they help support the IC, I can use them to support the fan!

This pic shows the IC sitting off the duct. The area of the IC is 48 square inches and the "outlet" of the duct (small end) is only 24 square inches. I figure that at least 50% of the 48 square inches of the IC are "blocked" by the cooling tubes and fins........so, the smaller duct outlet should not block the air flow!

This is a pic of the template laying on top of the IC. It is was used for marking bolt holes and the outlet pipe hole.

Here is a straight up shot of the area behind the left rear wheel where the IC will be located. The cruddy looking "stuff" is not rust. That's the junk that the dealer sprays on as part of the prep. The rear of the vehicle is toward the bottom of the photo.

The shield/duct will be about 3 inches below the bottom of the rear quarter panel straight behind the left rear wheel. I also plan to install a shield in front of the IC and the duct from up in the fender well.

I know some of this is re-run. However, it is an important part of the project. I hope to install and seal everything in a few days.

Last edited:

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
Have you ever done something only to realize there was a better way or that you screwed-up? Well, I've been there and done that several times with this project.
Thats one of the main reasons I procrastinate, if I haven't done something yet I couldn't possibly have done it wrong :D

What don't you like about your IC set-up? Its certainly better than what I had...

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
IC set-up

Thats one of the main reasons I procrastinate, if I haven't done something yet I couldn't possibly have done it wrong :D

What don't you like about your IC set-up? Its certainly better than what I had...
Well, there were primarily two things that I did not like.

1. During the initial set-up, I ignored the fact that the bottom of the IC would be blasted with road debris from the left rear wheel. So, when I began looking at installing the fan (electrical, meaning more wires), it slapped me in the face.........got to shield the IC from road debris.

2. The initial set-up did not provide the necessary "support." So, while addressing the shield idea, I realized that would be an opportunity to provide additional support!

I feel much better about it now!........ I just need to finish it~!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Update

Here are a few pics of the "rear" OBD port. While pulling cables and wiring, I installed circuits for an OBD port at the engine bay (remember, the engine is in the rear).

This will be sort of a quick couple set-up to access the port.

Below is the connector for the OBD port usage at the engine bay in the rear of the Vanagon (for those that are not familar with the rear located engine of the Vanagon).

In this photo, besides the OBD quick couple, you can see the MAF, coolant tank and a portion of the air filter assembly.

Another angle

Another angle

I will use silicone sealer where the wires go into the back of the female connector. It will be permenantly mounted there in the rear. I guess a piece of "duct" tape can be used to cover the face. The OBD pig tail quick connector can be placed in the glove box for use as needed.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Project update

Update

Over the last few days, I've continued to work on various things. I took the Intercooler back to the welder to add one more mounting tab. Also, I dropped off one of the AC line adapters to have a small brace welded on for additional support. The other adapter is much stronger by design.

Also, I finished tape wrapping the wiring up front below the dash and tucked it away. The brake and clutch switches are the next things to be addressed.:(

And, I need to install a new speedometer cable. As discussed in previous posts, it will be used to "spin" the modified VSS from the TDI tranny. As previously mentioned, the Digital Dakata interface will be used to convert the signal for the Speedometer and ECU.

Here are some photos of the Windshield Washer tank and pump mods to bring the system into the 21st century as well as incorporate it's function with the cluster. Comments are the top of each photo.

The TDI windshield washer pump is on the left (from a unit that does not have a rear wiper). The Vanagon pump is there in the center. The windshield washer fluid level sensor is on the right.

The pic below shows the Vanagon windshield washer pump installed in the reservoir tank. Notice on the extreme lower left bottom of the tank.....see the hole?

Here in the pic below is the TDI windshield washer pump mounted in the Vanagon windshield washer fluid reservoir. Now, there on the lower left you can see the sealing grommet for the fluid level sensor. Also, notice that I had to orient the pump pressure pipe outlet fitting to the left to provide space for the electrical connector to fit. This will not affect fitment of the tank, pipe, or operation of the pump.

Below is a view of both the pump and sensor...........Isn't it amazing how that VDO pump from an '02 Jetta will fit almost perfectly in the slot where the '84 model VDO pump fit?

One more pic

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500

I will use silicone sealer where the wires go into the back of the female connector. It will be permenantly mounted there in the rear. I guess a piece of "duct" tape can be used to cover the face. The OBD pig tail quick connector can be placed in the glove box for use as needed.
Some car makers put a plastic cover over the end of the OBD port that fits rather snugly, if you found one of these it would look much nicer than duct tape and wouldn't leave residue! Some of the port covers I have seen even had a lanyard to keep it from getting lost. If I could only recall which car!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
GTiTDi, the intent of the rear OBD is to have access directly at the engine while running VCDS. I didn't want to mount the OBD port permenantly. So, I put together the disconnect and short lead. The disconnect receptacle will need the protection from the elements. I plan to keep the short lead with OBD on it in the glove box.

Here is a pic of the front OBD with the cover I think you may have in mind!

Here the cover is off

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Reserved........... Well, the reserved area was to note that my father passed away on 5/16/12. He was almost 87. Unfortunately, the last year (to the day) he was either in the hospital or the nursing. It was a tough time over the last year and a half. Dad was a twin and the last of his 7 brothers. Four of them served during WWII.

Here are a few photos of the area below the dash of the Vanagon. They show how things are beginning to look as the wires are all bundled and tucked away.

(Below) The large cable on the right with 9 wires in it will be tied to the clutch and brake switches with one circuit supply current for the VSS. The other two smaller conduits contain various wires as decribed in previous posts. The one with the white string hanging out will be used for the circuits for the Gauges and a few other things. The singel red wire will be used for the Intercooler Fan in the rear ...probably use of a relay as well as an indicator light!

In the photo below, if you look to the right of the OBD port, you can see a taped up bundle of wires. Those all go to the Cluster, TDI ignition, etc., as well as three of the seven circuits for the "back" OBD port.

Below is a good view of the wiring bundle as described above

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
............here are a few things I've worked on recently

-installed the refurbished coolant tubes (rear to front). Yep, I did consider the stainless pipes.
-installed a conduit from the engine bay to the dash for gauge wiring, boost tube, etc.
-drilled and tapped the modified EGR assembly for the boost tube
-preparing to drill and tap the exhaust manifold for the Exhaust Gas Temp probe
-.........in the process of removing the old speedometer cable for a replacement to accept the modified Jetta VSS sending unit which will incorporate the Dakota Digital interface.

If things go according to plan, the dash will be holding a single pod for the EGT/Coolant temp gauge and triple pod for the VDO gauges (Oil pressure, Volts and VAC/Boost).

Once the VSS and Dakota Digital are in place, the modified TDI Cluster will be ready to install.

That's about it for now!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Update with photos (also, see update with photos in Post #467 above)

Here is a pic of the Coolant Temp and EGT gauge that I'll be using. Notice there are two exhaust temp probes. The cable and probe on the right that come with the set was too short. The cable and probe on the left is a special order (16 feet)

A view of the gauge up close.

In the photo below you are looking at the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) from the TDI transmission. Notice that the gear part has been removed.
EDIT: 1/20/20, I did not use the VSS set-up as shown below. Go to Page 47, Post # 697 to see how I did it.

Here you can see the modification to accept the Vanagon Speedometer cable. The end was where the gear was located, notice the metal insert (by me)............a little Appalachian Mountain Engineering and presto ......ready for installtion!

The photo below shows VSS body inserted into the Vanagon Speedometer cable. The sensor head is not installed in this pic. Also, the means to keep it attached to the end of the cable is not revealed ..........good 3M Tape! You can also see one of three "splits" on the side of the unit. Those were packed with grease for lube. Typically, the unit is lubed by the tranny oil.

In the pic below, you can see the VSS laying there with the electrical connector plugged on! The general area is behind where the TDI Cluster will be sitting (in place of the Vanagon Cluster)

In the pic below, you can see the VSS at the bottom left of center and the Dakato Digital Interface at the top. The Dakota Digital Interface will be used to calibrate the VSS speed signal for ECU use and to operate the Speedometer in the TDI Cluster. Also, there near the center, you can see a bundle of ground wires secured by a simple wire nut!

Another shot of the Dakota Digital Interface

This shot is a close-up of the Dakota Digital

This is an overall view of the dash area where the cluster will sit. Notice the brake fluid level sensor .........yep, out of a TDI unit! And, it is obviously "wired" to the cluster.

Due to time constraints, I am considering straight wiring the clutch and brake switches for now. Also, I will just set-up a loop on the power steering system and install the rack later this fall.

As you can see, the wiring systems are all but finished. I do plan major front suspension work which shouldn't take long. I have all the parts........getting closer!

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Weekend update

Well, I jumped into the Clutch switches and Brake light switch. As you may know, there are two clutch switches, one for the cruise control disable and the other for starter function. The Brake light switch (single unit) has two functions, one for the brake light and the other for the cruise control disable. Although the Vanagon brake system will provide the brake light function, the ECU monitors the brake lights. So, for the TDI engine system, I will install "one" brake light bulb so the ECU can "monitor" it .........LOL.

I'll post photos when the job is completely finished .....adjusting the two clutch switches to "act" at roughly the same time is a challenge!

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Andy, it looks like you are wrapping up a lot of loose ends and looking great. For the brake light circuit, are you going to have an actual light in the circuit or a resistor?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Light bulb or resistor

Andy, it looks like you are wrapping up a lot of loose ends and looking great. For the brake light circuit, are you going to have an actual light in the circuit or a resistor?

Well, I am not sure! I'm not up on the use of resistors and wouldn't have a clue what resistance to be using!

I suspect when I turn on the key, with the cluster in place, there will be all kinds of bells, whistles and lights............so, I must learn how to apply the use of resistors to fool th ECU:D

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
.....adjusting the two clutch switches to "act" at roughly the same time is a challenge!
One opens and the other closes at the same time, yea? Thats what I remember from setting up my cruise control,I think I used a switch that had 3 poles, one common, one normally open and one normally closed, worked great :)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Another weekend Update

Well, this afternoon I could not stay out of the garage. So, I went out and finished sitting up the two Clutch Switches and the Brake Switch.

The pic below is of the two clutch switches. The cruise control switch (normally closed) is on the left and the starter function switch is on the right (normally open).

The pic below shows them with the clutch pedal slight depressed.

This pic shows the clutch pedal depressed farther down.

The pic below shows them with the steering column cover in place. There was no way to install both switches under the cover...

The pic below is of the Brake switch. It presented the most difficult challenge......working on the other side of the steering column and mounting were both issues that stretched my patience. The switch could not be set any farther to the left due to the steering column cover. In fact, I set it on an angle to accomodate function and the cover. Also, there was not enough room under the cover for the switch........the steering column is designed to protect during a front end collision, thus it takes up more room that you might think.

The pic below is an overall veiw of what they look like from the driver's seat without the steering wheel installed. Not bad.......... I do plan to trim down the stops for a neat affect.

Also, I went ahead and connected the remaining circuits, installed fuses, etc., and connected the battery negative cable .........turned on the Vanagon Key and then turned on the ALH engine systems Key! Wow! Nothing smoked~! The plexiglass (Lexan) cover is the first cut, which I plan to replace later. The light and camera flash make the tiny scratches look far worse!

Another angle

Okay gurus, what's up with the ABS and Air Bag lights...............there were no wires in either of the cluster bundles for those items. The original wraping of factory tape is still in place .......no one has removed those wires!

So, are there other circuits providing the data?

I knew this would be a problem. Although I have gone thru the schematics NUMEROUS times over the last couple of years, I cannot seem to figure it out!

What say you!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Hook up to your nifty diagnostic port and find out! You can even sit in the back bench seat in style while you do your sleuthing. :)

Might just be a No-communication via Can-bus error.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Update

Update from the garage via very low signal from the router...

Well, VCDS read all the systems......both front and back OBD ports worked.

When I first plugged in the interface, the light did not come on! Wow! Panic! The problem, fuse #12 was not making contact in it's position. Of course, there were several codes, mainly due to various systems not being plugged in on the engine, fuel tank, windshield washer level, brake fluid level, etc. Well, if anyone has ideas on dealing with the Air Bag light and ABS, let me know.

As I stated previously: The Air Bag Indicator Light cluster wire does not exist (not there). It is supposed to be #6 on the Blue side of the cluster (T32/6). Same thing with the ABS. That circuit is identified as T32/19.....once again, no wire! So, I'm thinking the data for the Air Bag Light and ABS Light come from another source........ideas and thoughts will be appreciated.

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Depending upon the year, you can tell the Instruments there is NO ABS with coding.
Not sure about the seat belt light.
Maybe just pull the LED?
You might check with jimbote.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
If I remember correctly the LED's are integrated onto the circuit board, I have seen in the past someone sticking a piece of black tape over the CEL though.

Andy, the instrument cluster is probably getting it's information via a data-bus connection, whether it be the can bus or a k-wire type I'm not sure w/o a diagram. I agree with DanG144, if I remember correctly you have a newer instrument cluster ('02?), you should be able to code it to not have ABS or Airbag modules. Since I have changed professions I am not as practiced as I once was with coding different modules. You should be able to access all the information via VCDS, address 19 (gateway control module). From memory the last digit should be a 0 (so 00000 instead of 00006) for no options, I'm not sure if that will completely eliminate the Airbag and ABS lights. Let us know if that does indeed fix the lights.

Last edited:

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Andy...any chance you could do a video walk through of your project once it is completed? I think it would give us a great summary of what all you have been doing and I personally want to hear a nice ALH sound coming from a Vanagon!