Digi PD and Limp Mode

Almagne

TDI
2015 Gray Jetta. 2014 Black Jetta. 2006.5 Gray Jetta--retired.
I have a Digi PD box on my car and it is set to D. It is great. Every now and then the car goes into limp mode (or at least that’s what I assume is happening.) A quick shift in and out of gear restores the power. It only happens about once a week, but it will happens in cluster - say three time over the course of 15 minutes. I do not mind the occurrence, but I'm not sure if it is good to allow it to occur this frequently.

So my question is: is it OK to keep letting the car go into limp?

Diesel Power, the manufacturer, recommends that the box be set one level lower to C so that limp mode never occurs. Their recommendation is understandable. As a company they cannot recommend that their product be used in a manner so that a safety feature of the car is tripped every week.

So my guts say I should dial it back and sacrifice a little bit of power, but my heart says kick it up to E and let her rip!

And I should add that, yes... I know this is why a chip is superior to a tune box...but the car is still under warrantee.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
If you give Joe Hafner from Diesel Power North America a call and discuss the problem with him, he may have some ideas for you. I know that every now and again a car has this trouble (only the PD's) and this was the reason why Diesel Power created the TPC module.

If you can't get hold of Joe Hafner, call Jose at JS Performance and he can answer your questions as well.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
I have the same module; apparently each car is different. As Forrest Gump says "like a box of chocolates"

Some cars have a limp mode on the higher settings, others dont.

I have no problems whatsoever setting my box to F

Try checking you MAF sensor, it may be on the way out.

LoveMyVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDi
I have the same product as well and mine is on setting "F" or which ever setting is the highest. If im driving in the city and playing around i dont have any troubles. Now when im out at highway speeds little different story, if i dont pay attention to my boost guage and keep it under 25psi it will cut out. It doesnt throw a CEL but it does come up on the Vag-Com just lik this

16618 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Limit Exceeded (Overboost Condition)
P0234 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 3780 /min
Torque: 232.0 Nm
Speed: 171.0 km/h
Load: 85.9 %
Voltage: 14.36 V
Bin. Bits: 00001000
Absolute Pres.: 2029.8 mbar
Absolute Pres.: 2376.6 mbar

LA@JSPerformance.ca

Vendor , w/Business number
LoveMyVW said:
I have the same product as well and mine is on setting "F" or which ever setting is the highest. If im driving in the city and playing around i dont have any troubles. Now when im out at highway speeds little different story, if i dont pay attention to my boost guage and keep it under 25psi it will cut out. It doesnt throw a CEL but it does come up on the Vag-Com just lik this

16618 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Limit Exceeded (Overboost Condition)
P0234 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 3780 /min
Torque: 232.0 Nm
Speed: 171.0 km/h
Load: 85.9 %
Voltage: 14.36 V
Bin. Bits: 00001000
Absolute Pres.: 2029.8 mbar
Absolute Pres.: 2376.6 mbar
Wow you were moving - I would suggest turning the tuning box back as the boost levels are little high or install a TPC and reset your tune.

LoveMyVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDi
Wow you were moving

:) Yes i was cruising abit.... some a**hole cut me off in a Dodge 1500 sport so i thought i would right past him an then that happend, put abit of a damper on the situation...lol I did catch back up too him though. I have been contemplating getting the TPC would it really help it that much more and maybe get a few more ft. lbs.????