When will my crappy winter mileage end in ONT?

wheels

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Black
It feels like spring here in Ottawa...when do you think fuel suppliers in ONT will give us back the good mileage dino? Is there a hard and fast rule about when it comes on stream or does it vary by supplier?

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I though Topia has some kind of outlet for B20 in the Ottawa area. Anyhow, it'll be a while still. They don't want to decrease the additives too much, since there is usually one more cold snap left, and you don't want the fuel to gel. Generally, though, the supplier is the one who puts the additives in, not the fuel manufacturer.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
Late March is typical, based on conversations with friends who are long time dieselers (this is my first winter with a diesel...). Depending on tank turnover, I'd expect you could still get winter diesel from low-volume stations well into April.

The Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB) specification for Low Sulphur Diesel Fuels includes a requirement to "give satisfactory performance at temperatures indicated by the 2.5% Low End Design Temperature for the month and location of intended use". The design value is the lowest temperature at or below which only 2.5% of the hourly outside temperatures were observed to occur for a given month and geographic area. In practical terms this means that a fuel blended to meet the design temperature requirements will allow for cold temperature start-ups at or even slightly below the design temperature limit. (Temperatures below the 2.5% design value occur only 2.5% of the time and usually only for a few hours at night. The short duration that the fuel is exposed to the low temperature is not normally long enough to cool it below its operability temperature.) Diesel fuel blended according to the CGSB 2.5% standard will provide problem-free start-ups under the vast majority of winter conditions. It does not, however, account for cold snaps that are unusual for a specific area or time of year.

wheels

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Black
Thanks fitzski and yes Boardom - I know, I know.

Bio is coming to Ottawa soon I am told by Topia. They have recently signed an agreement with an independent operator on Innes road and news of the grand opening will come this week. I will send it to the mailing list and also post here.

Topia is also moving ahead with the Green Stop on Carling for later in the spring.

Slowly but surely.

wheels

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Black
Tricks of the trade m'boy...

I travel to T.O. often and fill up gerry cans sometimes. In addiiton, I have been managing Topia's mail list for almost a year now so....

In any case, I will take great pleasure in my first fill up in Ottawa. It has been a long slog to get it here.