115v rear outlet only 1A max? True?

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
I have an 06 and have the chance to pillage the 115v rear outlet setup from my daughters 2010 that's going back to VW.

From what I can tell this outlet is only capable if 1 Amp or so max?

Is this right? If so I won't waste my time.

Anyone know what the max constant rating of that inverter is?

Thanks!

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
Sheesh nvm. After an hour searching 10 mins after making this post I found this thread which one person says:

According to the owner's manual (p175), the 115V AC outlet on 2010 Jetta TDI is capable of supplying 150watts contiuously and 300 watts peak (<1sec). Defeating the ground by using an adapter will cause no problem as the circuit is effectively ground isolated as it is; hence the reason why it has no third prong. Also, all laptop power supply's I've encountered are isolation transformers anyway.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=294796

bherman13

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 BRM 5spd
Yes, only approximately 1 amp. You can't run a refrigerator off of it, just charge a laptop or something. Idk how much effort it takes to swap one, but on my 06 that came with it, I wouldn't give it up. It's a pretty nice feature.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, only approximately 1 amp. You can't run a refrigerator off of it, just charge a laptop or something. Idk how much effort it takes to swap one, but on my 06 that came with it, I wouldn't give it up. It's a pretty nice feature.

I'll have to look at the power rating of my laptop charger but I'm almost certain it wants more than 125w. If not I'll go ahead and swap it in.

austintg

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 Technik
Late to the thread but do either of you have any idea what could be causing my 30A fuses to blow the second I install in the 115v slot? I don’t have the car running but I’ve been through 2 fuses now that pop as soon as inserted.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
there have been a few cases of these 110 power units shorting out. try removing the plug from the back of it and see if the fuse doesn't blow. not hard to remove. pop the trim piece off around it then some screws. I have had mine out before, but too long ago to remember step by step.