Push button start instrctions?

JohnJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat 2005.5 jetta
Have had no luck on finding instructions for this proceedure, although it appears to be commonly done. Have a 96 Passat w/a bad starter switch(all electrical circuits seem to work except no crank when key turned to crank position). How to install a push button switch w/some guidelines(amp rating of switch, which wires to connect to switch, etc) would be appreciated!!

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Have you changed the ignition switch? Putting those things on switches/buttons is kind of the High School-Jerry rigging-half a..ed way of doingthings. I can can say that because that's what I did to my truck back in HS when the ignition switch went bad.

bherman13

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 BRM 5spd
Yeah, don't bother with a push button start unless you really really want a push button start. You'd still have to put the key in the ignition and turn it to on to arm the glow plugs anyways. Just replace the ignition switch. It's not all that difficult. You just have to take the steering column out to get to it. It's a very commonly failed part on this platform.

Here ya go: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=293435

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
If you have to do it, run a hot wire to a momentary on toggle switch. Then a wire to the starter relay. Speaking of which, I dont even know where it is, or if its a regular starter relay.

JohnJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat 2005.5 jetta
Ign Switch

Have you changed the ignition switch? Putting those things on switches/buttons is kind of the High School-Jerry rigging-half a..ed way of doingthings. I can can say that because that's what I did to my truck back in HS when the ignition switch went bad.
NO , that's what I'm researching. Has its pros & cons,like most things. I've noticed problems created by folks taking the ignition switch out "by the book" so I'm looking for the simplest, most fool proof method to fix the problem; also I don't have all the special tools recommended.

bherman13

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 BRM 5spd
I don't have any special tools and I've changed two ignition switches with absolutely no issue. It's a 3 hour job if you're taking it carefully. You just pull the steering column out and you can get to the screw holding the ignition switch in from behind if you have a small enough screwdriver (can pick up a set at Wal-Mart for $5). The difficult part is getting to the bolt holding the steering column in. It's just a pain to lay on the floorboard upside down to see what you're doing.

Check out this DIY guide: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=105906

An ignition switch costs like $12.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Try this DIY guide as well, and borrow a bearing splitter from a local parts house, most will let you borrow them for just a deposit.

If it takes you an hour I'll be surprised, even if it's your first time.

JohnJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat 2005.5 jetta
Ign switch replaced!

I used the method described on VWVortex site,pulled entire steering column w/o having to use any special tools. Went pretty slick ,main problem was my back! Nothing wrong electrically w/switch; problem was the plastic slot in the switch had worn enough so that the key(also worn) did not turn the switch far enough to complete the circuit. Maybe if I had just bent the key tip in the right direction????? Anyway, starter now works as it should. Thanks guys for your encouragement, you were right-not real hard to do.