06 Jetta Hard Start (not long crank)

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
First guess is motor mount. Have you run VCDS to see if there are any stored faults?

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Its not bad when cold, but when hot I swear the engine is going to rip itself out of the engine bay. When its really bad, it will crank and when it is about to start, it will actually pause for a second as if the starter can't overcome the compression and start which a very large thud.
Better check torsion setting. Probably to much injection advance along with a weak battery. I just finished cleaning and lubing my starter as things were starting to get dry inside but that was only because I had the transmission out. I think the starter would be still ok for another few years.

bl00tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I always read that a cam that is too retarded can cause hard starting. Go figure lol..

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I always read that a cam that is too retarded can cause hard starting. Go figure lol..

Note the brackets, but i don't care what he does with his timing as long as he avoids combustion( not timing) taking place at top-dead center which is his problem now. A new battery may solve the problem as i suggested( spin it faster, try jumping).

bl00tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Last edited:

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I have a 2006 Jetta TDI SE DSG with 137k miles. I'm having a starting issue where the best description for it is probably a "hard start" but not in the classic sense as a long crank. The engine starts right away, but when it does start it does so with a heavy thud.

It runs great otherwise. Any ideas?
Ok, I had an idea and my garage confirms it. A leaking injector. I have the same problem and the glow plug fault that I had, had little to do with it.

Ordered two bottles of diesel purge.

lchizz

TDI
2006 Jetta Sedan
BahamaTodd, were you ever able to fix your problem? If so, what did it take? My 06 is doing the same thing!