How To: Common Rail Timing Belt Procedure

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS

All in all, not a bad job. Very similar to a BRM job mixed in with some ALH bits. Special care needs to be taken since you crack the fuel system and need to completely bleed all the air out. Because of this I wrote a supplemental how-to at the end on how to run the output test as well as the basic settings test (is there already be one of these?).

I've also thrown in a little more information explaining the proper use of the BEW/BHW/BRM/CBEA/CJAA timing belt tensioner during the R&R of the belt. We took some video during the job and I'm working on getting those posted to youtube.

Please let me know if you find any errors or have any corrections.

Thanks to DanG144, Kriesel, Coalminer16 for the advice, help with pictures and just overall moral support. :)

To supplement the timing belt procedure I created a video showing the tensioner procedure (video is of a PD timing belt but the tensioners use the same pin feature): http://youtu.be/lM13IXokpuI

Discussion in the How-To: PD Timing belt video thread

Last edited:

DZL_Damon

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Loyal Edition
Glanced it over and it looks very well documented. I probably will not be able to check the small details until I do the job in another 50k miles, but thank you very much!

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
looks good, gonna be fun figuring all of this out the first time.

one minor thing, all of the torx bits holding the belly pan on and side skirts on are T20 torx, not T15. :)

Thank for the PDF, its very well done.

one question though, do you really need to raise & lower the engine so much to get at the 3 mount bolts? or can you get at them and get them disconnected from the block and have them come out with the bracket once you loosen the final bolt? also, is this set up like a BRM where the bolts are all outside the belt path? or is it like an ALH/BEW where one of the bolts is in the middle of the path? I am hoping its like a BRM.

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Thanks for the correction Aaron...I couldn't remember.

It's like the BRM. I put that order together because all three of the bolts are basically pointing straight at the frame rail. You need to raise it to even get a socket on the front one and in this position the rear one is very close to its hole through the fender. The bottom one is probably accessible but I prefer to bring the engine down to make access easier.

Of course if you are using a Herm-o-hanger raising and lowering the motor isn't as easy as if you were using a jack so you can improvise where necessary.

I'll also clean up the torque chart at the end. Defer to the ones in the text.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Is there any better way to drain coolant from the block instead of pulling the water pump out and opening up a waterfall?

I'm sure the coolant won't hurt anything, just looks like a mess that should be able to be done without the mess.

70,000 miles till mine!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
You can pull the lower hose on the oil cooler but you still end up with coolant coming out when you pull the water pump. Plus that hose is a PITA to get to.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Couple points to add. Thank you greengeeker for the nice job you did to my fathers car. Another point is the belly pan takes two sizes of torx bolts but if you are doing the timing belt I am REALLY hoping this isn't your first time taking the belly pan off. Also MAKE SURE THE TIMING BELT KIT HAS ALL BOLTS. Seems some things have changed very recently on a few of the bolt sets on the job with Bentley.

VERY VERY nice write-up.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Also MAKE SURE THE TIMING BELT KIT HAS ALL BOLTS. Seems some things have changed very recently on a few of the bolt sets on the job with Bentley.
x2, check your bolts when they arrive in the mail, not when you have your car half tore apart... :D

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Nice write up. I do not remove the engine mount on the CBEA or the BRM, I use a set of thin double nuts tightened to each other and remove the stud with the tensioner. Saves lots of time and a few bolts that don't need replacing.

Plano Diesel

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Candy White Manual, 2009 Jetta TDI Salsa Red DSG, 2006 Jetta TDI Candy White Manual
Great write-up and pictures. Thanks greengeeker.

I have 63k and change on my 2009 TDI. What mileage should I be looking to change out the belt? 80k? 100k?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Nice compilation, just wait for the first Mark and Pray idiot to come along preaching how they don't need the factory tools...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
hmmm. You're right Don - seems Rev 2 didn't take. I'll give it another go.
Outstanding DIY, thanks greengeeker.

I just downloaded, file name says Rev1.

Part of it might be the club's software. I have occasionally had problems with editing links. The old ones tend to "stick". Greengeeeker might have to upload version 2 and then create a separate link to it. I actually looked in his photo album last night and I could not find a Rev.2. He'll get it figured out sooner or later.

Have Fun!

Don

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
When I did the monthly mileage competitions all I had to do was edit the picture by replacing the file (picture in this case) with a new one and voila it would automatically show up on the thread without even changing the UBB link.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
When I did the monthly mileage competitions all I had to do was edit the picture by replacing the file (picture in this case) with a new one and voila it would automatically show up on the thread without even changing the UBB link.

That works perfectly, if the file name stays the same. It can be a little more problematic if the file name changes (like from Rev1 to Rev2).

Have Fun!

Don