MK 4 gauge cluster removal

milktree

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2004 Jetta Wagon (sold!)
When I look on the 'net, I see a lot of how-tos that say (more or less)

"pull the lower plastic cover thing off, unscrew the two Torx screws, pull the gauges out a bit, unplug the cables, and it comes free."

Now, that seemed way way too easy, so I looked in the Bentley manual, which says (exaggerated for effect) "remove the wheels and lower suspension linkages, remove the transmission and engine, remove the driver's seat, radio, carpet, and climate control stuff. Then remove the entire dash board, then unscrew those two Torx screws mentioned above and wiggle the gauge cluster down and out, &c."

Does the little trim piece between the gauges and steering column really just pop out? How easy is it to break it? Once it's out, does the gauge cluster really come out with only two screws and some wiggling?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
In the time it took to type that post, you probably could have had the cluster out. It is that easy.

Pop the lower trim cover off, remove 2 Torx screws, slide the cluster forward and up, reach around and unplug the two plugs.

milktree

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2004 Jetta Wagon (sold!)
In the time it took to type that post, you probably could have had the cluster out. It is that easy.

Pop the lower trim cover off, remove 2 Torx screws, slide the cluster forward and up, reach around and unplug the two plugs.
Ha! Excellent. Thanks!

I've read a lot of Honda and Suzuki motorcycle service manuals. Sometimes the "right" way is really really the right way for reasons that aren't obvious to all the people who do it the wrong way. Sometimes it's just the "right" way because there's a dealer getting paid to do it that way.

I'm glad this is the latter.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I got a picture how to coming on how to remove a MK4 gauge cluster. I have a neat little trick too.

I will do the write it up tonight if I get time.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
I got a picture how to coming on how to remove a MK4 gauge cluster. I have a neat little trick too.

I will do the write it up tonight if I get time.
What's the neat little trick, turbocharged? I'm thinking of pulling my cluster tonight to put in some rings.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
You think you will break that trim piece and you might too, that's what happened to me but nothing a dab of super glue couldn't cure. Also remember to move the steering wheel as far back and down as it can go. As for the rest it's really easy, remove those two screws as said then you can pull one side round to get to one plug and manoeuvre the cluster a bit to get to the other plug.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
What is it held on by? Some plastic and metal clips like other trim? Where exactly do you pull?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Just grab it and pull it straight back, it has a couple of tabs with bumps at the back.