Jump starter

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Do you mean one of those portable jump packs? I would imagine how big depends on how dead you let the battery get.

We use them here at the shop to jump start dead cars all the time, but if the battery in the car is completely dead, sometimes we have to disconnect it before we attach the pack, otherwise the dead hole saps too much voltage trying to start the engine.

And this is just to get the car in the shop. The car's alternator should NEVER be used to charge up a dead battery. They won't live long that way, and the battery's life is substantially shortened, too.

If you are just concerned about an emergency backup, then I'd think in most cases you are not going to need too large of one.

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Sportwagen 6M, '15 Passat 6M
Just concerned about emergencies, and not sure if a tdi needs a particular strength jump pack to crank. Costco has them, but I dont want to buy one if it won't be strong enough to crank.

thatwhitejsw

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 JSW TDI
I picked up one of the NOCO jump start units on Amazon when it was on sale for $87. Rated for up to a 3.0L Diesel engine, has a flashlight built in, and charges your devices. Handy little unit I tossed in the back after the gf ended up having a dead battery one day and thought I may as well keep one around just in case!

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Like Oilhammer said it’s not a single simple answer. My wimpy but warm little booster had no trouble helping my tired 10 year old main battery start the car after an 18 hr soak at -20 but would it have managed by itself? That’s a really rare situation, but if it was warm I suspect it might.