ALH @ 50 Degrees with stock pan.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
my insight is at 60 deg, even with the pan kicked out way far like the vanagon's one it still only barely holds 4qt from a dry engine before it starts getting too close to the crank for comfort
I do have yet to drive it enough to get a feel for oil consumption yet though, so I may well be able to get away with increasing the fill level further.

The biggest thing I noticed that just made me feel real dumb is that it looks like the injection pump sticks up just as high as the cam pulley would have at the stock 15 degree angle, also the oil filter housing ends up poking up very high as well.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
my insight is at 60 deg, even with the pan kicked out way far like the vanagon's one it still only barely holds 4qt from a dry engine before it starts getting too close to the crank for comfort
I do have yet to drive it enough to get a feel for oil consumption yet though, so I may well be able to get away with increasing the fill level further.

The biggest thing I noticed that just made me feel real dumb is that it looks like the injection pump sticks up just as high as the cam pulley would have at the stock 15 degree angle, also the oil filter housing ends up poking up very high as well.
so you have this setup with stock pan in your 2wd van? I'm assumed there might be clearance issues between the filter housing and the deck lid.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
so you have this setup with stock pan in your 2wd van? I'm assumed there might be clearance issues between the filter housing and the deck lid.
nonono, honda insight and modified pan, just that if I thought I could get away with not welding aluminum I would have. Every time I get the TIG torch out I end up shouting incomprehensible things.

the filter housing is relatively easy to chop the cartridge filter housing off, block off, then use parts from a 2.0 gas in order to utilize a cannister filter beneath the oil cooler. My golf is set up that way, only issue is needing to bend the AC suction line

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
nonono, honda insight and modified pan, just that if I thought I could get away with not welding aluminum I would have. Every time I get the TIG torch out I end up shouting incomprehensible things.
the filter housing is relatively easy to chop the cartridge filter housing off, block off, then use parts from a 2.0 gas in order to utilize a cannister filter beneath the oil cooler. My golf is set up that way, only issue is needing to bend the AC suction line
ok, are you running the alh at an extreme angle in the insight?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
ok, are you running the alh at an extreme angle in the insight?
see
I'll just stop trying to be helpful now. Sorry.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
indeed, used to have a build thread but all the pictures died along with tinypic
I'll try and fix it up somewhat, gimmie a few hours to figure it out

ETA: there we go, insight swap link in my sig, skip right to the bottom for the relevant pics of mounting angle and pan

Last edited:

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
It's been done yes. I even found a company that offered an oil pan for about $800 at one point! I've been planning a 2.0BHW at 50 degrees, have most of the parts but haven't had a chance to start the project.

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
Have you considered just installing at the stock 15 degree angle? My ALH install is configured that way, and it fits under the lid.

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi, this a 2WD with the entire drivetrain lowered to Syncro height. I raised the suspension so that the ground clearance is just a tad below 10". I used a lot of Passat 1.8t parts, like oilpan, driver side engine mount arm and engine mounts. This swap was done on the cheap, so I work traded for the Kennedy adapter kit and the DK (aircooled) 4.57 R&P trans. It's a weird install, since most of the bits n' pieces are custom made, but it's kinda cool.

Here's a shot of the rear showing the ground clearance.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
i dig it...looks like you used the stock wbx crossbar but lowered using brackets. And custom fabbed brackets to house the bhw mounts? I'm assuming the stock intake interfered with the lid? how much did it protrude above plane? ...i'm probably going to k.i.s.s. with this 82' 2wd diesel and do a 50* AHU with all the stock bits. I do like your approach, and may follow suit with my 87 syncro.

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
The custom intake* was made to allow the run from the intercooler to be a straight shot. I'm currently completely re-configuring the intake and exhaust setups. The K14 from a Mercedes is out and is being replaced with a GT2052, and the K&N Apollo air cleaner is getting swapped out for a Donaldson. I'm trying to reduce/eliminate drone and other noises. This originally was probably one of the cheapest ALH swaps into a Vanagon ever, so now I'm having to go back and invest some funds into fixing all the problems that cheap made.

*Fun fact: That intake log is made from the crash protection tube behind the dash on the Mk4 donor Jetta.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
The custom intake* was made to allow the run from the intercooler to be a straight shot. I'm currently completely re-configuring the intake and exhaust setups. The K14 from a Mercedes is out and is being replaced with a GT2052, and the K&N Apollo air cleaner is getting swapped out for a Donaldson. I'm trying to reduce/eliminate drone and other noises. This originally was probably one of the cheapest ALH swaps into a Vanagon ever, so now I'm having to go back and invest some funds into fixing all the problems that cheap made.

*Fun fact: That intake log is made from the crash protection tube behind the dash on the Mk4 donor Jetta.
cool! repurposing at it's best :) ... would the stock intake have interfered with the lid? On my last 82' tdi swap i used a ford explorer 5.0 airbox ...nice round design that lends itself well to various mounting positions.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Splash zone

Has anyone done this? i know the pickup would need to be modified to compensate. Would this put the crank in the splash zone?
I really don't believe the splash zone will be an issue, especially if you are concerned about foaming. I find it difficult to believe that foaming will be an issue. Keep in mind, the oil pump gear and chain are spinning in oil. Also, the oil sprayers to the bottom of the pistons and sling oil from the rod and main bearings are constantly being slapped by the spinning crankshaft.

I use 6 quarts of oil in the custom made Vanagon diesel style oil pan I am using. I've never seen a fluctuation in oil pressure due to aeration/foaming. Fully warmed up, the engine idles a 28 psi oil pressure. Out on the road at 70 mph, the oil pressure is above 50 psi constantly.

So, I believe the oil level will be fine with the 50* angle using the stock oil pan. Once the engine is fired up and puts oil in motion (galleys filled, surfaces covered, etc.) the level will be acceptable. As we recently discussed, I've considered doing what you've been speculating to do.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I really don't believe the splash zone will be an issue, especially if you are concerned about foaming. I find it difficult to believe that foaming will be an issue. Keep in mind, the oil pump gear and chain are spinning in oil. Also, the oil sprayers to the bottom of the pistons and sling oil from the rod and main bearings are constantly being slapped by the spinning crankshaft.
I use 6 quarts of oil in the custom made Vanagon diesel style oil pan I am using. I've never seen a fluctuation in oil pressure due to aeration/foaming. Fully warmed up, the engine idles a 28 psi oil pressure. Out on the road at 70 mph, the oil pressure is above 50 psi constantly.
So, I believe the oil level will be fine with the 50* angle using the stock oil pan. Once the engine is fired up and puts oil in motion (galleys filled, surfaces covered, etc.) the level will be acceptable. As we recently discussed, I've considered doing what you've been speculating to do.
thanks Andy! another data point to consider :) ...my preference is to use an ALH @ 50 degrees in this new to me 2wd 1.6d westy ....just for giggles i would use the 575k mile ALH sitting in my field ;P

Last edited: