turbo upgrade?

arizonajetta

TDI
2002 JETTA
hi, new to vw tdi world.. just acquired my 1st tdi..... im a diesel tech at gm... I know most of the goodies, but love the fuel mileage of the vw . its a 2002 vw jetta 1.9 turbo tdi.. 5spd... has a diesel geek clutch and solid flywheel, arp head studs, and kerma stage 2 injectors in it. the original owner blew motoro up when turbo let loose, I now have a rebuild engine with a new or used turbo on it. ... since passing some oil, wanting to know any whay to upgrade the turbocharger with out changing manifolds, or anything weird lake that, all im wanting is boost to come in sooner, a mild raise in boost is ok too. I drive freeway 40 miles a day, so at 70mphish running 2500-2600 rpm, really don't want boost kicking in when hwy driving.... is there any upgraded impeller cartridges I can change to?
also since in az. wanting to add more oil cooling, is any way to add a air in front mounted oil cooler? and ast question, I scored extra parts, can a 2nd stock intercooler be added to the drivers side of lower opening in bumper and piped into the 1st one, to help cool down the air charge some more...? mind you it get to 115 degrees air temp here, road temp more like 125-130.... I want this thing to last..... any thoughts? or suggestions?

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
I unless you are looking for a lot of power improvement the malhe vnt15 turbos are cheap and plug and play. They are a improved design from the original vnt15 and made in canada. The vw turbos are attached to the manifold so you will be replacing it any way you go. I would do a vnt15 and get a bigger intercooler as having the cooler intake temps will make a bigger difference than a larger turbo like a vnt17 or 17/22.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
has a diesel geek clutch and solid flywheelwanting to add more oil cooling, is any way to add a air in front mounted oil cooler? and ast question, I scored extra parts, can a 2nd stock intercooler be added to the drivers side of lower opening in bumper and piped into the 1st one, to help cool
You probably don't want go crazy with turbo upgrades if your clutch is just the vr6 clutch which is what I think it is. You can get bigger oil coolers from the passat I think. There are bigger ones you can put on. If you make your own IC piping you can probably fit the other stock intercooler between the bumper and the radiator in the front and hook the two together.

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
The turbo h4vok linked is becoming very popular and affordable. Would be fine for what you have with a factory tune

I wouldn't worry too much on adding another intercooler, if anything you can get this one fairly cheap and it's an easy install: http://www.fixmyvw.com/upgraded-smic-intercooler-for-alh-tdi/

For oil coolers, check out this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=78993

You could add a front mount intercooler, but with your location I would not do that as it will affect your air conditioning. With your mods, a factory SMIC is fine and the larger one I linked would be more than adequate. Drive more, worry less. These engines will last a long time with proper maintenance. Keep the fluids fresh, change the filters regularly, and of course change the TB and ALL components when it's due. If you are not sure on the timing belt history or know if ALL components have been changed, then change it

arizonajetta

TDI
2002 JETTA
I will be changing the timing belt soon. I do know the history of the vehicle spoke to the original owner... it used to have a rocket chip tune. but I don't know if it is still there, any way to tell? runs stock to me.. I have a snap on soles pro scanner can read data from the car to a point. i'm going to a avry switch and some gauges to monitor it, just to smoke the Prius on the road... hehehehe... I have the bigger factory intercooler, but still thought would be cool to cool off me air density a little more with another stock smaller intercooler in drivers front bumper opening,,, relocate the map temp pressure sensor to the last intercooler before into the engine. it is a daily driver, but a little playtime too. also planning on venting some sort of a scoop either hood or fender to force fresh air over the turbo while driving to help keep turbo temps down since I live in az temperature hell... anyone done anything like this before? pics? ideas?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The stock VNT-15 turbo in these cars, when set up correctly, is going to be more responsive than other options. You should get boost immediately off idle, with the right tune it will run very low boost at highway speeds.

Yours may not be working properly for any number of reasons, including that it may be worn out. But don't assume pushing oil is a symptom of failure. If the turbo isn't boosting properly for some reason it will move oil through it and into the intercooling system. Once you correct the boost issue the oil movement may go away. You should run some boost logs with VCDS and see if it's performing to spec.

Finally, I wouldn't worry about oil cooling. TDIs run pretty cool and if you use a correct 5w40 oil no additional cooling should be needed. I never had a problem with oil temperature, even on the track.

im570rm

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi a6 avant 2.5 tdi quattro
Once the turbo is pushing oil it will die sooner or later,rebuild it before that.As indigo said log the turbo on vcds channel 011 (4 gear/wot from 1800 to 4200rpm)if requested boost is ~ 2000 bars ,it doesnt have a tune,if it's more then is modded.
Oil cooler is good for medium to highly tuned cars ,or if you go to the track sometimes ,is very good for maintaining same power level ,when you wot it for long periods of time.

arizonajetta

TDI
2002 JETTA
well right now I run the 15w-40 delco meets and exceeds what is required by vw, I even run an added stp with zinc additive, I get the oil WAY cheaper though work at my price over the parts store oil... have had no issues, maybe my boost is a possible boost control solenoid weak? I know I need a new vacuum pump, loose outlet nipple, and has 200k on it, cant pump the brakes or I have little vacuum, builds up and then ok. since senor runs off vacuum, possible is a little weak...what are the boost values, and signals supposed to be at for readings values???? I should be able to read that on my snap on scanner...

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I unless you are looking for a lot of power improvement the malhe vnt15 turbos are cheap and plug and play. They are a improved design from the original vnt15 and made in canada. The vw turbos are attached to the manifold so you will be replacing it any way you go. I would do a vnt15 and get a bigger intercooler as having the cooler intake temps will make a bigger difference than a larger turbo like a vnt17 or 17/22.
X2 If I were to start over again I would have gotten the larger intercooler and WaveTrac LSD earlier. Of course I lunched my OEM VNT 15 and put in a VNT17-22 and with RC 4.5 I run virtually no boost at 70 mph and EGT in the 750-850 degrees F range.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
A proper tune can make the turbo have minimal use at cruising rpm/fuel.
Not meaning to be offensive, but a lot of people come here with truck experience and mod ideas... Mod it like a TDI, not like a truck.

arizonajetta

TDI
2002 JETTA
I understand that, that is why i'm asking these questions. no offense taken . I an awesome duramax tech. have built some bad ass 6.2 and 6.5 gm and some super reliable 6.9-7.3 fords idi's too. just no experience in the tdi world,,, just learning...
I drive 30 miles hwy way one way to work and like 5 miles in town to my job off freeway, round trip is like 50-60 a day... so when brother in law offered to me for 1500.00 I couldn't say no... I fixed a/c and love it for the most part, just want a little more power, and still keep the mileage respectable, average 46-50 mpg's right now, if around 40-45 i'm ok with that... when hwy cruising just trying to keep cool as possible since a diesel and all... so I guess a tune is in store? since all ready has the karma stage 2 injectors in it I was told. and next question, what tune would be best for what im looking for? power in town , idle to 3000-4000, little to none while cruising at 70-80 down freeway... and something about boost will control the oil blowing though? what is that about?

arizonajetta

TDI
2002 JETTA
The stock VNT-15 turbo in these cars, when set up correctly, is going to be more responsive than other options. You should get boost immediately off idle, with the right tune it will run very low boost at highway speeds.

Yours may not be working properly for any number of reasons, including that it may be worn out. But don't assume pushing oil is a symptom of failure. If the turbo isn't boosting properly for some reason it will move oil through it and into the intercooling system. Once you correct the boost issue the oil movement may go away. You should run some boost logs with VCDS and see if it's performing to spec.

Finally, I wouldn't worry about oil cooling. TDIs run pretty cool and if you use a correct 5w40 oil no additional cooling should be needed. I never had a problem with oil temperature, even on the track.
my question is... tis boost level specs? to look at and compare to..
VCDS? remember, i'm just learning German.... thanks

arizonajetta

TDI
2002 JETTA
turbo whistle

what makes the turbo whistle sound I hear on you tube from these alh 1.9 jetta tdi's?

custom air intake system or what? I already have a straight pipe exhaust... came that way.. cat still there for now.. going hollowed out for inspections..

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
VCDS is a VW/Audi diagnostic tool made by Ross-Tech. You buy the dongle which comes with a license to the software and download it to your laptop. Allows you to adjust many parameters in older cars (fuel delivery, timing, etc.) and also track engine performance. You can also get correct info on fault codes, which many generic scanners don't provide.

Stock boost is 14 PSI. I'm not sure if your car is tuned or not, but VCDS will tell you this as well as identify boost/fueling limits set by the tuner.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Vcds by far is the best diagnostic tool for Volkswagens and Audis. For the early models like the alh motors there's a lot of adjustments that can be made. But if you just looking for a quickie readout on codes something like Torque Pro the app for a Android phone works really well. I am had vcds for almost 10 years and I wouldn't be without it. There are times I just can't check numbers on my car and be staring at a laptop and drive all at the same time.:)

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Check your vacuum pump, lines and all fittings before condemning your turbo. I once replaced a vac line going to the turbo with a generic vac line and too tight a tie wrap. As the underhood temps rose, the rubber vac line would soften combined with higher vacuum and the tight tie wrap the line would pinch causing limp mode.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
I would delete the muffler and cat and not touch the intake any. Keep the stock air box and filters as changing them will create problems. You will get a lot of turbo noise from a straight through exhaust and a little performance benefit when you start modding. I only have my muffler deleted with everything else stock and if you go in a parking ramp or something its pure turbo whistle.

arizonajetta

TDI
2002 JETTA
ok let me ask this stupid question, is the vcds, is a small computer diagnostic box, I have a 2015 snap on solis pro scanner system. it does communicate, ive read the basics with it, would it be able to do the same if not more if its capable would it not? special software I can download into it? anyone ever used one of these on the vw?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
VCDS is made by Ross-Tech and is a hardware dongle in the form of a cable with
a USB plug. You use it with software downloaded from their website onto your PC.
It may be able to work on a Mac but I've always used a (now) 10 year old laptop.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Not to knock the Snap-On unit, but if you really want to dig in on your new TDI, VCDS is the only way to fly.
VCDS (once known as "VAG-COM") is specific to VW/Audi, which shows in that it gives the VW/Audi-specific codes for stuff instead of the OBD-II P-codes. For a shadetree wrench or enthusiast, VCDS basically gives you nearly the full power and capability of VW's factory scan tool with a more intuitive user interface, all at an enthusiast/DIYer price point.
There are a couple things that VCDS doesn't do (the most well-known one has to do with reading immobilizer SKCs out of the ECU/cluster, and there are niche products for that), but it's not a very long list.
I've had my VCDS since around 2006 or slightly before (my cable's an old HEX-COM serial one that says "VAG-COM" on it), I can't imagine not having it. Heck, when I had my fuel pump replaced last year, my mechanic asked me to bring my VCDS down to do the final set on the injection timing.
For someone like you, a cheap Windows laptop and a VCDS cable (you pay for the cable/interface/dongle; once you've done that, you get free SW updates forever because the license for the SW is in the cable) will be worth its weight in gold.

arizonajetta

TDI
2002 JETTA
turbo hybrid?

ok I guess I have a stock garret vnt-15, for a stock 2002 tdi 1.9 jetta.....
I hear of a hybrid turbo to ? what does it take to convert, or to hybrid-nize into what I have been reading on line, little more boost is ok, just want reasonable rebuildabilty in pricing..

senso

TDI
Bora Mk4(ALH)
For plug and play, get a 1749vb if you dont plan on extreme power, and even then you will need a beefier clutch, bigger injectors, a remap, at least cat off, bigger SMIC or FMIC, you plan on running the turbo above 1.2 bars you will also need a 3 bar MAP sensor.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
Some people have taken a vnt17 cold side put it in the vnt15 and machined out the housing to make it fit. to make a vnt15/17 hybrid. I have thought about this personally, but you are better off just buying a vnt17 at that point unless you know someone that owns a turbo shop and can do it cheap. The vnt 17/22 is probably the most popular hybrid for the tdi. If you are just looking for a upgrade while you are replacing a worn turbo I would just get the vnt17. It makes a great stock replacement and can push an extra 5 psi.

arizonajetta

TDI
2002 JETTA
my turbo?

2002 jetta tdi 1.9. 5spd jetta...
What model do i have? Bv39a-0017....does this mean i have a vnt-17?.. And how do i upgrade from what i have ?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
17/22 is NLA. Garrett stopped making the cold side. I prefer the 15 to the 17. Spools faster, and with the new ones you can run 19.5 PSI with no issues.