Do I really need a VAGCOM for a tune?

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
I am the happy owner of a previously owned Flashzilla. I was reading the directions on using it on my car and Malone's notes a VAGCOM may be needed to remove any trouble codes that may present during the flash process. (I'm guessing from maybe the car being "on" but not running but, honesty, I am not sure." That said, do I really need to purchase a VAGCOM? Do the codes clear after a time of running? From what I can tell, they run about $300 and, darn if this "little" mod isn't becoming more and more expensive.

Anyone have thoughts on this product?

http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/shop/vagcom-vcds-17

Any input is appreciated.

Drive safe.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Anyone have thoughts on this product?

Any input is appreciated.

Drive safe.
If it not from Ross-Tech or one of their authorized dealers (which the link you posted is NOT) it is an illegal hack (or crack) of Ross-Tech's copyrighted product. Feel free to spend $99 on a product that might work, but keep in mind that it will not be upgradeable (when a new version comes out to support new cars), and you will be supporting thieves. The real thing is cheap for what it does. Your tools are not the place to "cheap-out" (IMHO).

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I know nothing about a previously owned flashzilla and what (if any) tunes it has. I would rely on whatever Malone says about what is required.

Last edited:

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
Thanks for the quick reply. I was unsure if their was a hacked version or a different variation of a theme. I checked out Ross-Tech and since they have a "Enthusiast" version that permits up to three VINs, I'll likely just go that route. With my wife's 2017 GLI, this would be good to have. Thanks for the input.

Drive safe.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Is Malone tuning '15s through the OBD port? I thought you had to do that on a bench.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
local shops will clear codes free around here
all part of playing nice and getting business in the door

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Is Malone tuning '15s through the OBD port? I thought you had to do that on a bench.

They've been flashing '15s for a while.

Did rocket chip have to bench flash the shops ride?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
He did, and he told me why, but I forget. I believe there are some variables he can't get to through the OBD port.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Have no problem port flashing all 2000+ VW diesels other than 09-10 V6 touaregs. Sometimes stock files aren't available for the updated EA288s and some 3L, but it's not that common since Mark has a huge database that is continuously being added to. The maps are accessible through OBD2 so not sure what the deal is there or if he's just looking for more files.

I have never had codes pop up tuning an EA288. Might get something stored in the transmission (if it's auto) for the transmission losing signal to the ECM during the flash, since the ECM basically has to exchange blocks and disconnect momentarily, but I've never thrown a CEL. Can also recover these via port flash if they have a no start condition, which is nice considering BMW/Mercedes are bench only.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
From AARodriguez a Molone dealer.
Q.
Why is VCDS recommended for Stage 2?
A.
Our 2015 tunes are finished and they are AWESOME! As with many other tunes that maximize the safe performance of a vehicle's stock equipment, we recommend you have VCDS HEX+CAN to records logs for us to review.
The logs that are referenced are specific measuring blocks recorded during some runs that help the tuner write a tune specifically for your car.
The linked tool is made in Australia well out of the reach of U.S. copyright laws. What I found too funny is they mentioned you never have to buy the software, it comes with the cable. With a real VCDS, the software is free to download because the software license is inbeded in the cable.

It's just amazing how blatant these rip off artist are. It sure looks like a $9.00 Chinese cable complete with one of those mini CDs with the ripped poorly hacked software on it although I could not find a pic of the included software on their web sight.

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
At least 9 years ago, I purchased the $299.00 Hex-CAN cable with two ideas in mind: one was I didn't know if I was ever going to buy a newer Jetta than the one I currently own, and the other was if somebody within a reasonable distance needed their newer (or older) VW scanned I would step up and do it because my VCDS cable was capable, and hey that is what TDI Club members do. There are a few things the knockoff cables will do, but you don't know how many and you don't know for how long. So the real question is, how much is piece of mind, or should I say, "Lifetime Customer Support" worth to you?
Don't take my our word for it, check here: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170163

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I got my first ross-tech cable almost 12 years ago (serial interface), and have since upgraded to a USB version... The customer support is awesome if you need it, and the dedicated forum for registered users is also fantastic

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
^^^
Yes, you need it! You have a water cooled VW!
I couldn't work on mine without it!
To many hidden codes to pull you back to the dealership!
Besides, you can change settings and customize things with one