Green Diesel Engineering Beta Testing Review

1001 lb-ft

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
I just started beta testing for Green Diesel Engineering (GDE). This will be an on-going review so please stay tuned. Keith and Matt from GDE have been great in both phone and email conversations. At this point, I am very impressed with the company. According to Keith, GDE's tune is worth 20hp and 70lb-ft. I will say that after installing the tune, the car is much, much more responsive and is definitely a producer of uncontrollable ****-eating grins. However, Keith's biggest concern during my beta testing is fuel mileage gains. So that is what I will be focusing on. I bought the car on 08MARCH16 and I keep very detailed fuel logs. My baseline numbers are an average of the 4 tanks of fuel since purchasing the car and on the stock tune. My GDE testing began with a fresh tank-full. Here are the baseline numbers:

65 total days driven on stock tune.
1624.1 miles driven on stock tune.
33.2435 MPG average on stock tune.
24.986 average miles driven per day. (just want to see if this remains constant, it should)
.06 cents per mile average operating costs on stock tune.

On the next fill-up I will post up the new numbers and will continue to do so through 4 tanks of fuel with the GDE tune. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

jtitocci

TDI
2013 Jetta TDi
I just started beta testing for Green Diesel Engineering (GDE). This will be an on-going review so please stay tuned. Keith and Matt from GDE have been great in both phone and email conversations. At this point, I am very impressed with the company. According to Keith, GDE's tune is worth 20hp and 70lb-ft. I will say that after installing the tune, the car is much, much more responsive and is definitely a producer of uncontrollable ****-eating grins. However, Keith's biggest concern during my beta testing is fuel mileage gains. So that is what I will be focusing on. I bought the car on 08MARCH16 and I keep very detailed fuel logs. My baseline numbers are an average of the 4 tanks of fuel since purchasing the car and on the stock tune. My GDE testing began with a fresh tank-full. Here are the baseline numbers:
65 total days driven on stock tune.
1624.1 miles driven on stock tune.
33.2435 MPG average on stock tune.
24.986 average miles driven per day on. (just want to see if this remains constant, it should)
.06 cents per mile average operating costs on stock tune.
On the next fill-up I will post up the new numbers and will continue to do so through 4 tanks of fuel with the GDE tune. Let me know if you have any questions.
I just installed the Beta Tune as well, and filled up. I was going to start a thread myself, but saw yours, and thought maybe we should keep all information in one place. Care if I join in on data sharing?

1001 lb-ft

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
I just installed the Beta Tune as well, and filled up. I was going to start a thread myself, but saw yours, and thought maybe we should keep all information in one place. Care if I join in on data sharing?
Not at all, please do. What did you think about the boost in power?

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
We have seen a pretty clear +5-6mpg over the last 3 tanks. I need to sit down and start Excel'ing my fuel economy number pre and post tune.

Just got back from a trip to the beach with 2 kayaks up top, into a 20-25mph headwind, and avearged ~41mpg. Mind you we were doing 55-65mph, but we did have to cross over the coastal mountains.

The power increase is very nice. Throttle pedal mapping is great and eliminates lag off the line. I am extremely pleased with the tune! When its released, I will be talking my in-laws into getting a tune for their 13 JSW.

Last edited:

jtitocci

TDI
2013 Jetta TDi
Not at all, please do. What did you think about the boost in power?
So I'm on the fence.... and here's why:

I feel the instant boost, without a doubt, BUT, I also feel like there is a bit more lag in the lower RPMS (at least in drive). When I get to higher RPMs, it does pull harder, and almost feels as if it's smoothed out in the power band. My initial thoughts are actually that I think a DSG tune is needed. I almost feel like the increased power is making the shift points a little more "touchy"(?)

I've only had 1.5 full commutes since installing, and well, I live in NYC, so my opportunity for WOT is few and far between. I'll be doing about 300 miles this weekend, so I should get more opportunity to play, on the open highway.

I did notice that my idle appears to be lower rpms, and with that, I managed to stall out going from drive to reverse quickly, without being at a full stop, during a parallel park.

Another thing that I've noticed is that my engine is running cooler than normal, especially considering its been warmer (assuming due to efficiency?) For instance my commute today in 75 degree weather, in 50 minutes of traffic, I never crested 200 degrees. Typically I'd see 205-208, even on cooler days with similar traffic.

I have about 5 full months logged on Fuelly, and I've been logging a lot of trips through OBD Fusion, so I'm going to be watching closely over the next few fuel ups.

Also, just a quick note, my brother drives a 2015 Dodge Ram EcoDiesel, and he has been following a lot of the conversation about what GDE is doing for them, and is EXTREMELY jealous that I managed to get in with Beta testing. GDE has built quite the community, with Dodge/Jeep and I've yet to hear a negative thing about them. I haven't had any phone conversations, but the fast responses via email, and fast turn around with the gear, is phenomenal, and I am very excited for what this brings.

Edit: I wanted to add in my car info in case it had any impact on those reading this thread.

2013 Jetta TDI (early 2013)
DSG Transmission
97,000 Miles
Lowered on H&R Sports with 18" Interlagos (putting this information up so that people understand that I'm not stock)

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I have done about a dozen WOT pulls from a stop, and haven't noticed any DSG hiccups. I was worried as I didn't know if they torque output would be higher than what the factory DSG tune allows. But, I haven't noticed anything wrong. Running cooler is probably the result of turning the EGR off. They might need to tweak your tune a little. We are Beta testers, were supposed to find the kinks and report back to them so they have data to help fix issues.

jtitocci

TDI
2013 Jetta TDi
I have done about a dozen WOT pulls from a stop, and haven't noticed any DSG hiccups. I was worried as I didn't know if they torque output would be higher than what the factory DSG tune allows. But, I haven't noticed anything wrong. Running cooler is probably the result of turning the EGR off. They might need to tweak your tune a little. We are Beta testers, were supposed to find the kinks and report back to them so they have data to help fix issues.

Couldn't agree more! Thats why I posted it, I wasn't sure if these were adverse side affects, something in my head, or possibly something needing just a tweak. I don't want to come off as a complaint, just giving feedback to initial thoughts.

I actually think the DSG thing may be in my head. It may that the extra torque is throwing me off, and making me feel like the shifts are affected. Obviously the DSG is un-touched, by this tune, so I'm sure it's just in how I'm experiencing it. (Oh how I miss my manual transmission)

Good to know about the EGR. Anyone have a link to info about turning off the EGR and benefits? I'm still new to diesels.

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Should reduce turbo lag as all of the exhaust goes through the turbine instead of getting partially split off and back into the intake. It also should increase mileage some as the engine should run a little more lean as you are burning straight air instead of an air/exhaust (which has hardly any O2) mixture.

For my numbers:
Pre tune Miles: 2476.1
Pre tune Gallons: 70.281
Pre Tune MPG: 35.23

Updated 5/15/2016
Tune Miles: 1334.0*
Tune Gallons: 33.74*
Tune MPG: 39.53*

*Note* tune mileage/gallons is computed with the first tank being half tune half untuned (37.8MPG), with those dozen or so WOT runs. First full tune tank was 42.17MPG's. Second tank was with the kayaks on the trip to the coast.

Last edited:

1001 lb-ft

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
Couldn't agree more! Thats why I posted it, I wasn't sure if these were adverse side affects, something in my head, or possibly something needing just a tweak. I don't want to come off as a complaint, just giving feedback to initial thoughts.

I actually think the DSG thing may be in my head. It may that the extra torque is throwing me off, and making me feel like the shifts are affected. Obviously the DSG is un-touched, by this tune, so I'm sure it's just in how I'm experiencing it. (Oh how I miss my manual transmission)

Good to know about the EGR. Anyone have a link to info about turning off the EGR and benefits? I'm still new to diesels.
I spoke to Keith specifically about the DSG needing a tune. He told me it's a learning transmission so your shift points may change. Right after I installed the tune, my first WOT run I experienced a somewhat harsh first to second shift. Subsequent runs did not produce the same effect. As I understand it with the EGR, your intake will stay clean, and the threat of intercooler icing goes away as well.

jtitocci

TDI
2013 Jetta TDi
My Numbers:
Pre tune Miles logged: 7794
Pre tune Gallons logged: 213
Pre Tune Average MPG: 39.0
My last tank of gas was about 1/4 tune to 3/4 stock, so I'm going to wait until I have a full tank to relay back anything. I can see the cars computer is calculating an increase though, so that is a positive.
EGR is helpful for me if that is the case, I've had 2 instances of hard starts, or no starts associated with intercooler icing.
I wonder if it would be helpful to run the DSG "reset" Here, to help restart the learning process, and sort of adapt it to the new tune.

1001 lb-ft

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
I don't see where restarting the DSG's learning cycle would hurt anything. Mine seemed to adapt on its own.

1001 lb-ft

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
Bit of an update. The DSG seems to have completely adapted to the tune. Drivability is very much improved. Zero perceived turbo lag from a dead stop and it pulls hard at any speed. Also had a good friend of mine who is the service manager at the local Audi dealership take her for a spin. To say the least, he was extremely impressed as well. More to come when it's time to fill up. Thanks.

jtitocci

TDI
2013 Jetta TDi
Bit of an update. The DSG seems to have completely adapted to the tune. Drivability is very much improved. Zero perceived turbo lag from a dead stop and it pulls hard at any speed. Also had a good friend of mine who is the service manager at the local Audi dealership take her for a spin. To say the least, he was extremely impressed as well. More to come when it's time to fill up. Thanks.

I went away for the weekend and put about 300 miles, lots of highway, and backroad spirited driving. I think during this time my DSG did some adaptation as well. It actually feels like it drives better now. On the last home stretch, I needed to pass a herd of cars on the highway, and pulled from 60mph to 90, without even realizing it. I'm very impressed so far, and I'm definitely seeing gains in MPG from an instant read stand point.

madcowintucson

Veteran Member
TDI
golf
not intending to hijack the thread but i just got the software today and my initial impressions are:

1. much improved low end torque,
2. much ipproved increase in fuel economy, long, long term went up by .2 points so far, very impressive for a first drive,
3. dsg seems to have altered shift points for sure but I cannot say if that is by design,
4. I do not perceive an increase in horsepower at all,
5. the dsg seems to short shift to take advantage of the torque, but also is shifting smoother,
6. although it does not feel faster, I observe i am up to speed quicker with less throttle input and in a very linear fashion, whereas before the engine felt like a surge of power from a stop that would push you back into the seat, this feel just linear without the surge, although i kind of like the surge it was a bit unpredictable around corners, say trying to cross an intersection and avoiding oncoming traffic, you give it throttle and it leaps forward after a slight lag, this feels like no such lag is present,
7. My display used to show about 28 to 32 mpg in town with ac on, as of today for my in city usage it is now reading a pretty solid 42mpg. i wont just to the conclusion i just had a huge increase in fuel economy, but if accurate it would simply be freaking awesome!
8. I took some peak measurements on boost, EGT, and IAT...a full throttle run merging onto the highway at 85 degrees ambient air showed: 25psi, 125.6 degrees IAT and (to me a scary) EGT of 1593 degrees.

EGT could be normal for this car, but on an alh it would be in the danger zone. I have not measured full throttle EGT on stock tune but I have seen it as high as 1450 degrees under heavy load.

All feedback done in drive mode

Again not trying to hijack thread, just contributing my temporary results.

Last edited:

1001 lb-ft

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
not intending to hijack the thread but i just got the software today and my initial impressions are:

1. much improved low end torque,
2. much ipproved increase in fuel economy, long, long term went up by .2 points so far, very impressive for a first drive,
3. dsg seems to have altered shift points for sure but I cannot say if that is by design,
4. I do not perceive an increase in horsepower at all,
5. the dsg seems to short shift to take advantage of the torque, but also is shifting smoother,
6. although it does not feel faster, I observe i am up to speed quicker with less throttle input and in a very linear fashion, whereas before the engine felt like a surge of power from a stop that would push you back into the seat, this feel just linear without the surge, although i kind of like the surge it was a bit unpredictable around corners, say trying to cross an intersection and avoiding oncoming traffic, you give it throttle and it leaps forward after a slight lag, this feels like no such lag is present,
7. My display used to show about 28 to 32 mpg in town with ac on, as of today for my in city usage it is now reading a pretty solid 42mpg. i wont just to the conclusion i just had a huge increase in fuel economy, but if accurate it would simply be freaking awesome!
8. I took some peak measurements on boost, EGT, and IAT...a full throttle run merging onto the highway at 85 degrees ambient air showed: 25psi, 125.6 degrees IAT and (to me a scary) EGT of 1593 degrees.

EGT could be normal for this car, but on an alh it would be in the danger zone. I have not measured full throttle EGT on stock tune but I have seen it as high as 1450 degrees under heavy load.

All feedback done in drive mode

Again not trying to hijack thread, just contributing my temporary results.
Not a hijack at all Brother. Thanks for your input, especially the EGT. Is it possible you were in a regen?

madcowintucson

Veteran Member
TDI
golf
Possibly in regen but i highly doubt it. I have been logging some more EGT and it just seems high under heavy or full load. I am happy as long as reliability is unaffected as the high temps burn off the soot in the dpf. I think another car is needed for comparison. I really need the polar fis to see whats going on but i should be able to log with torque i just havnt done it before lol.

Anyone know the egt limits on the cjaa?

Btw my car is a 2012 sportwagon dsg.

1001 lb-ft

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
I dont know the limits, but I'm sure if you called GDE and explained your concerns they may have an explanation. I don't have a way to monitor EGT yet, but the temp guage is showing it's running a hair cooler than before. If you call GDE, please let us know the result.

jtitocci

TDI
2013 Jetta TDi
If your sitting constant with an EGT of ~1500, something is wrong. I've been monitoring mine and about every 800-1000 miles I get a regen, and it lasts maybe 15 minutes. Since tuning I've had 1 regen and it lasted about 10 minutes and dropped back down to a normal temp. Normal temp range is anywhere from 250-750 from what I've seen. Regen is 1100-1500.

How are you watching EGT, scan gauge? Or similar?

Edit: just noticed your using torque, pretty sure that has logging capabilities, I'd log it, and send to GDE. Make sure Bank 1 Sensor 1 is what your monitoring. (I'm 2013 sedan, but I'm pretty sure it's the same for you with a 2012 wagon)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waynoooo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I am also going to hop onto this thread. I have a 2011 Golf TDI, and the guys from GDE sent me the kit about a week ago. I had just filled up, so only about 3 miles of stock, and the rest has been tuned.

My numbers to start:

Miles logged: 72246
Total Gallons: 2086.18
Avg MPG (US): 34.6

First impressions with the tune:
1. Immediately liked the lack of lag from the accelerator!
2. Now that my tranny has adapted, I like the smoothness of the power across the full band. I do a lot of mixed driving (stop and go, back roads and freeway, all in the same day), so it is tough to get a good feel for the responsiveness of the adaptation of the transmission, but it seems to have settled in more than on the first couple of trips.
3. I also noticed the "hard shift" between first and second right after I tuned, but that has since gone away, however I still get some "hard shifts", typically between second and third when I am pulling out into fast moving traffic. I expect it will go away over time.
4. One odd thing I have noticed is that there is a longer delay in reverse now between touching the accelerator and having a response. This delay was not there before. I have to back uphill into my driveway, so I have noticed it every time I park at my home.

I am extremely happy with the tune. The guys from GDE have been very responsive, and their instructions were extremely clear. I had never used a scan tool or other ODB device before, so clear instructions were a godsend!

I'll post some updates after each of my fuel ups.

Cheers

Wayne

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I'm excited to see everyone's results. We had a 1-2 bang shift at the very beginning (where my wife and I both starred at each other, it was noticeable). But now, it shifts perfect. We use triptronic a lot due to the hills we live in though.

madcowintucson

Veteran Member
TDI
golf
Constant no. Peak yes. As i stated these were peak measurements running full throttle from a rolling start onto the highway with a terminal speed of about 85 mph.
I had my second known regen tonight in the way to walmart. First one occured about a week ago. I was only aware by the smell and the fans on after i shut down the engine.
Still logging but did not do to much today. Also i think the dsg is still relearning. Long, long term average is still rising. Also i had never reset the fuel computer so maybe i should?

Last edited:

1001 lb-ft

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
Constant no. Peak yes. As i stated these were peak measurements funning full throttle from a rolling start onto the highway with a terminal speed of about 85 mph.
I had my second known regen tonight in the way to walmart. First one occured about a week ago. I was only aware by the smell and the fans on after i shut down the engine.
Still logging but did not do to much today. Also i think the dsg is still relearning. Long, long term average is still rising. Also i had never reset the fuel computer so maybe i should?
I think you should track your fuel mileage how ever you are comfortable tracking it.

applejacks

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
My programmer shipped yesterday, should be here Thursday. I will post my impressions once the tune is installed.

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I take my fuel slip and write down the mileage, and write down the displayed MPG's. I then reset the MFA MPG, and trip. Then I have an excel sheet I copy all the info down into. MFA MPG readings will always be off from actual.

1001 lb-ft

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
I take my fuel slip and write down the mileage, and write down the displayed MPG's. I then reset the MFA MPG, and trip. Then I have an excel sheet I copy all the info down into. MFA MPG readings will always be off from actual.
I hand calculate everything as well but use a hand written log book I keep in the glove box along with an envelope containing all fuel receipts. The columns in the log book are laid out as follows:

Date / odometer / trip / gal / mpg / cost

jtitocci

TDI
2013 Jetta TDi
First full fill up after tune:

Pre-tune MPG: 39.0
Post Tune MPG: 44.6
Increase: 5.6mpg

I made a run from NYC to PA this weekend, although a lot of highway, a lot of it was traffic, and mountains as well. I also have about 10 WOT pulls, in that mix for fun.

Without a doubt it took a little bit for things to smooth out (DSG related) but it's shifting great now, and feels much quicker.

Couldn't be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk