Swap rns-315 for rns-510

madrukus

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Picking up my 2011 Jetta TDI Highline (with nav) next week and am already thinking about mods!

I have a source on a RNS-510 unit, but wondering if this is a simple swap?

Any thoughts??

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
before you do that, use if for couple of days and see how you like it. 315 is lot faster and doesnt crash as much as 510. I know you get bigger screen, but 315 is a better unit in my openion.

madrukus

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
I've been hearing that, so I might tinker with it for a week or two. My main goal is both screen real estate and the ability to play movies. If I can get the 315 to play movies, I could probably live with it.

allenmaloney

TDI
Sportwagen 2011
It works!

In case this question has not been resolved yet.
I have just completed a swap from a RNS-315 to RNS-510 ver E in my Sportwagen 2011 and it was plug and play.
Right now, I have flawless control of the 510 trough the steering wheel controls, the phone inferfaces propelly.
The only thing that I need to do to ass voice control over "non-phone" functions of the RNS-510 is to inteface the microphone (which now goes directly to the ( OEM BT module 9w7) see attached image at this location
PLUG_IN_THIS_ADRESS_xxx .mfd3.com/sale/accessories/voice-command-wiring-harness/