newbie with 03 tdi wagon..where do i begin?

bruin36

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, black
I have to start by saying that this board is pretty incredible. I just picked up a used 03 jetta wagon with 6500 miles on it - these cars are awesome, it still smells new, original window sticker and all....anyway I would like to do some basic mods to get just a little more umph out of the car, based upon reading posts here it looks like complete Bosch injectors and an exhaust would do the trick, the PO seems to have installed a K&N a/f. Anyone point me in a direction, i want to keep it fairly simple for now

thanks to all

Bruin

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
Welcome Bruin, search and read about "air filters", you may choose to ditch the K&N. CCV and EGR mod is HUGELY important to prevent intake clogging. Fuel treatment (Power Service is popular) will ensure lubricity for the pump. Mobil Delvac 1 5-40 is the most popular oil here at Fred's and has been researched and analyzed by professionals. A coolant heater makes comfortable winter starts (instant heat). As far as more performance goes, check out www.upsolute.com , I love mine. Good Luck /images/graemlins/cool.gif

sootwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
None
If you haven't already done so, it is strongly suggested you carefully read the TDIFAQ before modifying anything on your car (see link at the top of every page on this site).
Now that you have been warned, best of luck with your new car!!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Bruin, while your TDI may have 6500 miles on it, you're still breaking in the engine. For example, your fuel economy will gradually improve over the next 20-30k miles.

I think it would be worthwhile for you to read Drivbiwire's break-in guide. How you drive your TDI can affect both performance and longevity.

As for mods, I'd suggest spending at least a month or two researching your options, before jumping in. Especially since you're under warranty.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
I realize you asked about mods for more umph, but there are some other mods you might consider, as well.

CCV mod to reduce oil vapor in your intake, alone or in conjuction with the EGR mod. This will keep your intake from clogging and making all those umph mods useless /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TDIHeater (zerostart coolant heater). This will eliminate cold starts where electricity is available. Results in reduced wear on the engine, better fuel economy (for short trip drivers especially) and instant heat in the winter for the humans.

Soy Shield - Fuel additive made by Schaeffer's. About 50% soybean-based biodiesel and 50% additives - improves cetane and lubricity big time! You will feel the difference.

Tim

mobe

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
There's not too much on performance mods here but it's full of great info.
Congratulations on the new (to you) Wagon and Welcome to the Club! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

bruin36

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, black
Thanks All, I have already ditched the K&N filter, Had no Idea about break in procedures and have generally been driving the car fairly hard, now have 9800 miles on it and have changed oil and filter twice- previous owner did it at 3000, dealer did their 10k service....anyway the amount of info here is a bit daunting and I appreciate everyones patience